Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
MemorabiliaMovies TelevisionPop Culture

Does anybody here collect vinyl records?3824

Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Obviously, I think too much. I was pondering the resurgence of vinyl because there is the belief among many that vinyl sounds better. That would be because it was an analog recording transferred to an analog playback format. Then I pondered how most recording equipment these days is digital. If you buy a modern vinyl album, you are most likely getting a digital signal recorded into an analog format. I find it very difficult to believe modern bands are recording on audio tape and preserving the full analog signal. There is no logical reason to believe a vinyl album recorded from a digital source would sound better.
Post 51 IP   flag post
This U2 picture disc was supposedly only released for one day. I never opened it from the shrink wrap.

Sorry for the lousy image. It'll sit flat on my scanner, but my scanner doesn't scan the full width of the glass.
Post 52 IP   flag post
For many years, this album was never offered for sale. It was a radio broadcast album. Eventually it was released on CD as part of the Bonfire Box set.

Here is the letter that came with it.

Post 53 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@X51 very cool on the AC/DC
Post 54 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
I also had the original lp copy of "Scorpions - Lovedrive" album which was released on the market inside a black plastic bag so the cover couldn't be seen. The cover showed a guy pulling a wad of bubblegum from a woman's right booby. Later the album was re-released with a granite statue of a scorpion on the cover.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
I also had the original lp copy of "Scorpions - Lovedrive" album which was released on the market inside a black plastic bag so the cover couldn't be seen. The cover showed a guy pulling a wad of bubblegum from a woman's right booby. Later the album was re-released with a granite statue of a scorpion on the cover.

I remember that. I didn't know much about them at the time.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

I remember that. I didn't know much about them at the time.

"Lovedrive" and "Animal Magnetism" my 2 favorite albums by Scorpions.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComxDlr
I wont comment on how many albums and 45's I have as it might incriminate me Ufh.. I dont know that i could even estimate how many hahaha. I do have some really nice DJ only promo stuff that I think are really cool.

I have over 1000+ 33s, 45s and 78s. Pictures sleeves and other music memorabilia....including a 29 LP collection of The Beatles - many are Mono and English issues.

Some other notables....

Jimi Hendrix - Track Records 1968 - Electric Maryland

Yardbirds featuring Jimmy Page - Epic Records (BN matrix)

Stairway to Heaven - Atlantic promo 45

Original master recording - Dark Side of the Moon

About 10 Led Zeppelin boots, including a colored vinyl 3-LP copy of Copenhagen Warm-ups, the Second Night

Numerous half speed and other MSFL master recordings of various artists.

I also love the late 50s/early 60s Jazz issues on the Blue Note label...great investment and sounds.

Basically.....I collect to play and enjoy....good stuff out there, many that you can't find on CD or other media.
Post 58 IP   flag post
@ZosoRocks Awesome collection!
Post 59 IP   flag post
@comicforme..,..for yours and other enjoyment...

EC PSA ticket - I went to that show outside of Rome, Italy while in the USN.

"Crop Circles" - LZ - was sold as a sealed 6-LP set for $200.00

For the "starburst" colored vinyl Copenhagen Warm-up example....some say it doesn't qualify as a CV, because it isn't completed colorized. I disagree.

Can you guess on what the name is on the Beatles the example?

;o)

Post 60 IP   flag post
Quote:
Nothing beats the rich warm sound of a clean lp traveling through an Audio Technica stylus with dual magnets.

I also use AT needles...as well as a Stanton stylus' on a 1985 Pioneer direct drive turntable....they sound sooooo good!
Post 61 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
My sons hooked me up with a newer record player, receiver and tied it into multiple speakers we own for my birthday last year. I primarily play the same albums over and over because they just sound so dam good. Steely Dan: Can't buy a thrill, Steve Miller: Fly like an eagle and Rush: Moving Pictures.

One of my son's gave me a turntable that can be use through the USB port on a computer....which allows it to move the music to digital.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
So...I been looking locally for these records so after second bourbon I have these coming now from ebay. Very, very cheap btw, less than $8-10 each. The Poison album turns out is very difficult to obtain a first pressing of Flesh and Blood. That one was $25.

You would be surprised on how small of pressings (in vinyl) the late 80s/early 90s produced.
Metallica LPs are good examples
Post 63 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I stepped up to a nice Sony record player tonight. BUT, I can't find my box of audio/rca/splitters so I can't even enjoy it tonight or ever until get some adaptors for rca to phono plug
Post 64 IP   flag post
Collector TommyJasmin private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

No kidding, wow.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
Quote:
Nothing beats the rich warm sound of a clean lp traveling through an Audio Technica stylus with dual magnets.

I also use AT needles...as well as a Stanton stylus' on a 1985 Pioneer direct drive turntable....they sound sooooo good!

I hear ya! Pioneer is some damn good equipment. Back in those days I was jamming on a top of the line Technics system and my turntable was direct drive as well with AT stylus.

I was using the Technics brush and solution to clean my records but found their mixture was leaving a filmy/sticky residue on my albums so I created my own solution which consists of half alcohol and half water... very clean.
Post 66 IP   flag post
Quote:
I stepped up to a nice Sony record player tonight. BUT, I can't find my box of audio/rca/splitters so I can't even enjoy it tonight or ever until get some adaptors for rca to phono plug

Be patient, you'll get it all together. Now you need the amp and the speakers to handle it. Depending on the size of your room, probably a 500 watt amp/receiver hooked up to Infinity or JBL speakers will do just fine. You're gonna be very happy,... you're gonna love it.
Post 67 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
Great thread....Longtime audiophile here.I have over 5,000 albums and a major horde of 45's from the 1950's to about 1983. My grandparents owned a diner back in the 50's and always had a juke box- so they kept all the records that played. yes some are heavily worn, but most are promotional copies " for example - Bill haley and the comets Rocking through the rye " Decca 1956 , I have on a Promo label which reads "Rocking through the EYE". (error).

I'm kicking myself in the ass as I sold my stereo system that I had in 1990. It was a Thorens Mk 125II turntable, Macintosh c28 pre-amp. (2) MacIntosh 2100 tube amps which drove the JBL soverign 1's speakers...

Luckily, Ebay sells most of these now..

Ray
RI
Post 68 IP   flag post
@Johnnylray. I bet your collection is awesome!

I love JBL speakers. What kind of wattage were those Macintosh amps pushing?
Post 69 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
@X51

"I find it very difficult to believe modern bands are recording on audio tape and preserving the full analog signal"

A lot of bands, that have the means to, will. Just Google it.

Here's a track my band recorded live to tape in 1992. 😂

http://dpiercy.com/1992/4.mp3

I was once a rocker.
Post 70 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Post 71 IP   flag post

New records last night
Post 72 IP   flag post
OH MY GOD

I now have my Sony Stereo Turntable system in my office with a long phono cable to my Sony subwoofer and speaker setup that also can route to the living room Sony surround system that we've owned since 2003. All SONY and it's BUMPIN' in this office now. I'm jammin' to the new Gorillaz HUMANZ album (first one above) and it's LOUD like crazy my mother in law is gonna be in for it now her room is right below mine downstairs lol
Post 73 IP   flag post
@Pre_Coder The Macs were set up "MONO", so I had 210 per channel left and right. I need to sell off some comics so i can rebuy the gear! ;-)
Post 74 IP   flag post
A few of my many autographed records too ..Ray/RI

Post 75 IP   flag post
very cool Carlin sig
Post 76 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
While on the topic; Years ago I walked into a huge record dealer in the city I used to live in, and noticed they were preparing a new collection to be put on their shelves. There were 3 employees, one of them was the owner, going through the records.

I watched as they each would take a cover, look at it, then grab various different colored sharpies, and color touch the corners and spots that were worn. I asked the owner about this and he said they do it all the time. I told him about the comic book hobby and that color touch was not viewed positively. He said that it makes the albums easier to sell, and record buyers don't care if it's been color touched or not.

Since then I've paid attention to albums when I am buying, and he's right about one thing, there sure are a lot of color touched album covers on the market. I'm not into it enough to know if it is something embraced by the collectors or not.

Hi Steve.....Yes and No.

I think, others like me, like to find as clean of an LP as possible, but if the LP or cover is rare, then "writing" or "ring wear" on the cover is really something that is overlooked for the most part. I know I do, if the LP or cover is rare.

Examples.....if I had found a first state Beatles "Yesterday and Today" Butcher cover and it had white touch up.....clearly I would not care one bit.

ANother example would be me finding a Moody Blues "Days of Future Past" MONO issue. THe LP was scratched to frak, but the cover was decent (with wear and splits), but had a "Promotional only" sticker still applied to the front. This LP - in NM condition would garner close to $300+ dollars.....I sold it as it was....Good LP / Fine Cover - $75.00.

So, as you can see from just those two examples......cover quality sometimes plays a role in the value and sometimes it doesn't.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!
Post 77 IP   flag post
Quote:
I noticed today my records sound terrible. There is a bad feedback when the voices or music get loud. I think I blew the speakers on this portable record player. I hooked it up to my computer speakers aux input and it carries over to those speakers too. Confused. So I even placed a towel underneath the unit thinking it would calm the vibration if any on my glass table...didn't really help. Now I'm listening the Dark Side of the Moon and the now it wants to walk the needle to the middle of the record and makes a terrible scratching sound. ugggh

the arm weight on the needle arm is off......set too light.....CORRECTION...set too heavy....which woujld cause the "non-contact" of the needle to the vinyl.

Sorry for the mis-speak Kapt.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Quote:

Thanks for the compliment.....it has taken me many, many years......and those are just some of the better ones.....my collection is mainly 50s thru 70s rock. Trying to think out anything low value.

Lately, I've sold off some 70s and 80s Jazz - Atlantic and CTI recordings.

I actually started collecting LPs in the mid 70s and then turned to Comics in the 80s/90s.

I now do both.....*smiles*.....along with many other pop culture genres.
Post 79 IP   flag post
This Sony turntable is nothing like that cheap record player "starter pack". My records cound like cd quality on this Sony its ridiculously awesome and clear
Post 80 IP   flag post
600893 114 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?