Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
MemorabiliaMovies TelevisionPop Culture

Does anybody here collect vinyl records?3824

Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I gave away most of my records to a friend. I kept a few things that were harder to find or more odd. I was into metal and hard rock mainly. I kept a few singles too. Unsually, the things I kept had bonus tracks that were non-LP. I kept some picture discs, but they have yellowed over time. I'm glad I didn't buy more.

LOL! I did a really lousy job of stitching two partial scans on that one.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Brian Johnson sings "For Those About to Rock" live on this release back in '82 or so.

Post 27 IP   flag post
The album sleeve on this is leather.

Post 28 IP   flag post
This is like a greatest hits of Styx... a Japanese release..

Post 29 IP   flag post
A German release of Dokken's first album. It has some studio tracks that were swapped out on the American release. One song has different words.

Post 30 IP   flag post

A live radio broadcast cars album.

Post 31 IP   flag post
An AC/DC box set

Post 32 IP   flag post
An obscure California band. I guess this would be west coast punk rock. The songs are not that great overall, but the lyrics cracked me up on a few. You can hear most of the songs on youtube. "No More Drugs", "Riot in the Men's Room", or "Die Bob Die" still make me smile after decades.

Post 33 IP   flag post
A U2 picture disc. It looks like that's about all I've scanned.

Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector TommyJasmin private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
A U2 picture disc. It looks like that's about all I've scanned.

Cool stuff @X51 !
I've still got my fave vinyl, but I'm too lazy to scan.
Among my prized possessions are the very 1st Replacements single, and
the first record ever put out by Twin Tone records in Minneapolis.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
I just gave away all my remaining LP's & 45's a week ago. About 200 of each. Preparing for another move and didn't want to pack & move them again. Most went to extended family, so OK with not selling. Happy they went to a good home.
Post 36 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
A few of mine...

Post 37 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
While on the topic; Years ago I walked into a huge record dealer in the city I used to live in, and noticed they were preparing a new collection to be put on their shelves. There were 3 employees, one of them was the owner, going through the records.

I watched as they each would take a cover, look at it, then grab various different colored sharpies, and color touch the corners and spots that were worn. I asked the owner about this and he said they do it all the time. I told him about the comic book hobby and that color touch was not viewed positively. He said that it makes the albums easier to sell, and record buyers don't care if it's been color touched or not.

Since then I've paid attention to albums when I am buying, and he's right about one thing, there sure are a lot of color touched album covers on the market. I'm not into it enough to know if it is something embraced by the collectors or not.
Post 38 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I noticed today my records sound terrible. There is a bad feedback when the voices or music get loud. I think I blew the speakers on this portable record player. I hooked it up to my computer speakers aux input and it carries over to those speakers too. Confused. So I even placed a towel underneath the unit thinking it would calm the vibration if any on my glass table...didn't really help. Now I'm listening the Dark Side of the Moon and the now it wants to walk the needle to the middle of the record and makes a terrible scratching sound. ugggh
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
I noticed today my records sound terrible. There is a bad feedback when the voices or music get loud. I think I blew the speakers on this portable record player. I hooked it up to my computer speakers aux input and it carries over to those speakers too. Confused. So I even placed a towel underneath the unit thinking it would calm the vibration if any on my glass table...didn't really help. Now I'm listening the Dark Side of the Moon and the now it wants to walk the needle to the middle of the record and makes a terrible scratching sound. ugggh

Could be your needle, but sounds like a belt problem
Post 40 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Figures. over it. back to itunes.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
kaptainmyke
private msg
quote post

Check out Numark TTUSB , It hooks into your computer and will burn your records into mp3 files so you can get that warm sound in your car and not wear out your more collectable records. Easy setup; I've had mine for 7 years now with no problems (not even a needle change). I have too many records to count kaptainmyke; whats your fav type of music and I can point you towards some cool picture discs. As far as if you wanna flip em wait for Raekwon to drop a record they will make a limited pressing picture disc (upcharge of like 5 dollars) then they go online for a few hundred a month later, but not mine I play it.

And you can get that record player very cheap and if you get some really nice computer speakers it will sound better. I paid crazy prices for several 70's classic players over the years and finding those needles is awful.
Post 42 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexMuff
Quote:

Could be your needle, but sounds like a belt problem

I think so too,... one or the other. Check the needle first since it's obviously in view. I wouldn't play your vinyl on this unit anymore until fixed or you'll ruin them.
Post 43 IP   flag post
The little plastic needle broke off so I have to buy a new one now
Post 44 IP   flag post
Figures because I have a new vinyl coming in from eBay
Post 45 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
The little plastic needle broke off so I have to buy a new one now

Noooooo, not plastic! You need a diamond stylus.

Plastic will eat those records up.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector Pacoma7623 private msg quote post Address this user
Yes,go diamond tipped needle!!
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector Helric1 private msg quote post Address this user
I found this while cleaning out my mom's house. My friend insisted that I frame it and hang it on my wall. He even bought me a frame. I wish I hadn't written my name on it when I was a kid

Post 48 IP   flag post
okay i ordered 3 diamond tips for the stylus replacement head for a crosley CR8005D
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
okay i ordered 3 diamond tips for the stylus replacement head for a crosley CR8005D

WHEW! Lol

So what lp do have arriving from eBay?
Post 50 IP   flag post
Obviously, I think too much. I was pondering the resurgence of vinyl because there is the belief among many that vinyl sounds better. That would be because it was an analog recording transferred to an analog playback format. Then I pondered how most recording equipment these days is digital. If you buy a modern vinyl album, you are most likely getting a digital signal recorded into an analog format. I find it very difficult to believe modern bands are recording on audio tape and preserving the full analog signal. There is no logical reason to believe a vinyl album recorded from a digital source would sound better.
Post 51 IP   flag post
This U2 picture disc was supposedly only released for one day. I never opened it from the shrink wrap.

Sorry for the lousy image. It'll sit flat on my scanner, but my scanner doesn't scan the full width of the glass.
Post 52 IP   flag post
For many years, this album was never offered for sale. It was a radio broadcast album. Eventually it was released on CD as part of the Bonfire Box set.

Here is the letter that came with it.

Post 53 IP   flag post
@X51 very cool on the AC/DC
Post 54 IP   flag post
I also had the original lp copy of "Scorpions - Lovedrive" album which was released on the market inside a black plastic bag so the cover couldn't be seen. The cover showed a guy pulling a wad of bubblegum from a woman's right booby. Later the album was re-released with a granite statue of a scorpion on the cover.
Post 55 IP   flag post
598059 114 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?