Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Dshel61 private msg quote post Address this user
How do you tell the difference between a real 181 and a fake?
Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@Dshel61

This one is fake:

So is this one:

Also fake:

The one on the right is another fake:

Yet another fake:

Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dshel61
How do you tell the difference between a real 181 and a fake?
If your talking about that stupid Hulk video where that girl tears them in half. Hopefully those were just a coverless comic with a reproduction cover of Hulk 181 attached to it.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos I need to find a Lego Hulk 181!
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Stu private msg quote post Address this user
Dig that Archie cover!
Post 5 IP   flag post
I’m sure whatever it was you got me was perfect. PhantomEwan private msg quote post Address this user
Send it off to get graded. Or just buy a graded one so you don't have to worry.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Mef private msg quote post Address this user
With your eyes!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@Dshel61

I'd say a fake is usually one with real interior pages and a replica cover, or vice versa. These are usually sold as replicas, but they become "fakes" when someone tries to pass them off as authetic/original. I've seen them on eBay, generally from new low-rating sellers. Often times they will claim they inherited it from a "collection".

It's hard to spot the fakes online, but generally the replica covers have similar markings between them, the text can be a bit blurry(like on the back advertisements), and occasionally the imagery will be oversized/undersized. The cover may also appear larger than the interior pages and some fraying on the cover may indicate non-original paper.

In person, these replicas will smell of fresh ink. Under lighting, you will also see printing imprints along the imagery sort of like a hologram or a topographic map. Lastly, you will see the replica covers tend to be such a stark "printer paper white" that it should obviously not match the interior page color...same goes for staples that may look like staples out of your home stapler(not looking old or worn).

This a great thread, and fakes exist so be very careful when shopping for Hulk 181s. Make sure if you buy one that is suspect, you have some sort of buyer protection. Request clearer photos and buying from trustworthy sources is your best defense. If your questioning it or it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

I hope this helps and good luck!!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Dshel61 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by comic_book_man
@Dshel61

I'd say a fake is usually one with real interior pages and a replica cover, or vice versa. These are usually sold as replicas, but they become "fakes" when someone tries to pass them off as authetic/original. I've seen them on eBay, generally from new low-rating sellers. Often times they will claim they inherited it from a "collection".

It's hard to spot the fakes online, but generally the replica covers have similar markings between them, the text can be a bit blurry(like on the back advertisements), and occasionally the imagery will be oversized/undersized. The cover may also appear larger than the interior pages and some fraying on the cover may indicate non-original paper.

In person, these replicas will smell of fresh ink. Under lighting, you will also see printing imprints along the imagery sort of like a hologram or a topographic map. Lastly, you will see the replica covers tend to be such a stark "printer paper white" that it should obviously not match the interior page color...same goes for staples that may look like staples out of your home stapler(not looking old or worn).

This a great thread, and fakes exist so be very careful when shopping for Hulk 181s. Make sure if you buy one that is suspect, you have some sort of buyer protection. Request clearer photos and buying from trustworthy sources is your best defense. If your questioning it or it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

I hope this helps and good luck!!

Thank you
Post 9 IP   flag post
600512 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?