Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

What is the Hulk 181 of this generation?3785

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer Turtles and Walking Dead include original and highly popular characters that have transcended the comics and made it big on TV shows and movies.

The 1990s and 2010s clearly are a step down from these two huge titles.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdod3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
AF 15 went for over $1 mil, Showcase can not compete with that.

*Yet* lol

Showcase 4 is way more hard to find than AF 15, especially in higher grade.

IMO the grail of this generation will be WD 1, without a doubt. Low print run numbers, HUGE fan base. Even once the show is gone I still think there will be a demand for that book.

Interesting point about Showcase 4.

There are 362 copies of Showcase 4 on the CGC census, with one one the highest grade being a 9.2.

AF 15 has 2513 copies on the CGC census, with four in 9.6 grade.

*corrected.

My mind went straight to GL with Spotlight.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector Revelations private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations
NYX #3

She's not original though, she's a copy of wolverine.

The beginning of this thread is talking about value, not originality.
Post 53 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@Revelations yes, I'm saying that a character that is not original doesnt have a chance at high-dollar grail money like the others in @drchaos list
Post 54 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
You know what...Turtles #1 was already the new Hulk 181...TWD is the new Turtles #1...think outside the box.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
1930s Action Comics 1
1940s Batman 1
1950s Mad Magazine 1
1960s Amazing Fantasy 15
1970s Incredible Hulk 181
1980s TMNT 1
1990s New Mutants 98
2000s Walking Dead 1

Cap #1...?

Showcase #4....?

AF 15 went for over $1 mil, Showcase can not compete with that.

Absolutely true. AF #15 is the third most important comic book ever published.

However...

Showcase #4 came out in 1956...thus, the 1950s...not the 1960s.

I assume your list referred to the most important comics of each decade. If that's the case, then Showcase #4, which started the Silver Age, is leagues beyond Mad #1.

And Batman #1, as important as it is, can't hold a candle to Cap #1, the most enduring and important character from Timely/Atlas/Marvel.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown

And Batman #1, as important as it is, can't hold a candle to Cap #1, the most enduring and important character from Timely/Atlas/Marvel.

Quick point of clarification, because I can see how this can be misconstrued.

Spiderman is the single most important character from Marvel. No question. Wolverine is second.

However...from Timely, Cap is the most important, and, indeed, the most enduring character they have, being a full 21 years older than Spidey. Yes, there are older Timely characters (Sub-Mariner, for example), but Cap is arguably a top 10 Marvel character...if not top 5...and is the most important creation from that company in that era.

And in this case, "important" means = value of the intellectual property, name recognition, etc.
Post 57 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@DocBrown Mad was golden age while Showcase 4 was silver age (why I missed it) so you have that one right.

Batman 1 is the third most valuable book while Captain America 1 is sixth.
Post 58 IP   flag post
Quote:
@DocBrown Mad was golden age while Showcase 4 was silver age (why I missed it) so you have that one right.

Yes, but value alone doesn't determine importance, as you know. Although, I'm pretty sure AF #15 is more valuable than Batman #1, at least absolutely. Are you just referring to books from the 40s in terms of rank?

Value is a hard thing to peg to importance. Cerebus #1 is more valuable (in theory) than Hulk #181 in the highest grades, but that's only because it is prohibitively rare (and, functionally, non-existent) at or above 9.4.

Turtles #1 is worth more than Hulk #181, too, but again, only because it is substantially rarer.

In both cases, of course, Wolvie is, by far, the more important character...but because of the massive amount of copies available, Hulk #181 isn't anywhere near the status of an AF #15, and certainly not Tec #27 and Action #1. But the case can be made, objectively, that Wolvie is the #4 most important character in comics, after Supes, Bats, and Spidey (in that order.)
Post 59 IP   flag post
Quote:

Did you mean Tec 27?
Post 60 IP   flag post
Collector rckstr1253 private msg quote post Address this user
Youre all wrong i think amazing spiderman 4 first app of silk ramos variant is the hulk 181 of our generation. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Joking of course
Post 61 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Quote:

Did you mean Tec 27?

Tec 27 is second.
Post 62 IP   flag post
@DocBrown Sorry, the stupid list is broken down by era.

Batman 1 is third among golden age books while Cap is sixth.

Even though it is a silver age book AF 15 is third overall (making Batman 1 third among golden age yet fourth overall).

X-Men 1 is second among silver age and I think it pushes Captain America 1 down to 8th overall.

This would be easier if it was one list and not separated by era.
Post 63 IP   flag post
Quote:

This would be easier if it was one list and not separated by era.

That is where I got confused.
Post 64 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I'm confused (again).

What exactly is a generation?

The dictionary says this: "all of the people born and living at about the same time, regarded collectively".

So, how can it be broken down into decades? Or even Half centuries? My mother is alive still, and she was born before Action #1, Tec #27 and Cap #1. There must be a whole lot of people still alive that were born before those publications.

So, tell me what criteria we are using (decades, half centuries, etc.) and I will give an opinion which comic book is the premiere one of that time period.

In my personal lifetime, it is unquestionably Amazing Fantasy #15 (although Action #252 first Supergirl, and Showcase 4 first silver age Flash deserve honorable mentions). In my fathers lifetime, it must be Action #1. In my grandfathers lifetime, it was probably The Yellow Kid aka Mickey Dugan. Always shown as a bald kid, because a lot of kids in the late 1800's were bald due to being shaved because of head lice.

But in my son's lifetime (ages between 36 and 40), I would have to go with TMNT #1, although I am sure they would pick The Walking Dead #1. With Inc. Hulk #181 as a tie for #1 pick.
Post 65 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
i just thought we were going by every decade and he stopped at 2000, so i was like, okay what about 2010 and what WILL be the next one for 2020?

We need the Doctor in this thread. He has a Tardis.
Post 66 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
2020, Squirrel Girl obviously.
Post 67 IP   flag post
It's already RAM #1
Post 68 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
@conditionfreak I was being intentionally vague so as to invite more input.

Walking Dead 1 & New Mutants 98 seem to be real contenders.
Post 69 IP   flag post
Collector Pacoma7623 private msg quote post Address this user
Batman adventures #12 also.classic/iconic cover.even after movie craze goes down/away its still gonna be a 1st app of a BATMAN villian.
Post 70 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Zombie Tramp. She has a pretty strong cult following. Her very first appearance was a 3 issue set that was self published (I believe in 2009) with a very low print run. It has the makings of being the perfect storm if the character continues to gain popularity. Copies of that first set are already going for ridiculous prices.
I'm a little confused about how many printings those first issues had and the current run from Action Labs is really Vol. 3, so if someone can chime in here and provide a little better history of the publishing history of this character, please do.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Depending of what time period "this generation" entails it is either TMNT # 1 or WD # 1.

I went by decade because I thought it would be easier to give us more perspective on the contenders (and honorable mentions).
Post 72 IP   flag post
Iรขโ‚ฌโ„ขm sure whatever it was you got me was perfect. PhantomEwan private msg quote post Address this user
I'm getting a headache
Post 73 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomEwan
I'm getting a headache

Lol me too but its still fun.

In keeping with the OP (this generation) our contenders are

80s easily TMNT

90s
Deadpool, Harley Quinn, and..? It seems although there were some great characters created, MASSIVE print runs and hoarding have made this entire era almost worthless

00s - no contest TWD

10s - any new appearances break 1k NM value yet?
Post 74 IP   flag post
Collector Pacoma7623 private msg quote post Address this user
No venom love for the 80s? As far as 2010s over 1k.....maybe some variant graded 9.8+ and signed by multiple peeps.no consensus charecter coming to mind right now.
Post 75 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer

NM 98 easily wins the 1990s.

I posted this on 2010 already:

Although the link says WD 100 I have to think it is for a variant.

Unless WD 100 is legit it looks like Alias 1 takes the crown for 2010+
Post 76 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacoma7623
No venom love for the 80s? As far as 2010s over 1k.....maybe some variant graded 9.8+ and signed by multiple peeps.no consensus charecter coming to mind right now.

So far we are avoiding the inclusion of variant covers for fear our heads will simultaneously explode.

When it comes to regular covers Venom can not hope to compete with TMNT 1.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Quote:
So far we are avoiding the inclusion of variant covers for fear our heads will simultaneously explode.

๐Ÿบ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿป
Post 78 IP   flag post
Quote:

Idk about easy. BA12 currently sells for double that of NM98 . Arguably a better character, but in terms of value, there's competition.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:

Idk about easy. BA12 currently sells for double that of NM98 . Arguably a better character, but in terms of value, there's competition.

Already covered in this thread. I even posted a link.

Quote:
If you said Bone you were incorrect.

NM 98 record $7,500 - Bone 1 Record $3,200

All of the data is contained in this link:

clickable text
Post 80 IP   flag post
601333 121 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?