Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Don't know about trimmed, but it is miswrapped. You can't have a 9.9 miswrapped can you?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
I guess this 'lil bit, from the seller's description, was glossed over...by most of you?

Note the lines that I put in bold face type.The seller is such a twat that he does not apparently realize that by stating that this book had been previously graded by CGC at a 9.8, the fact that PGX graded it at a 9.9, shines a spotlight on demonstrating PGX's propensity towards lax grading. If this is true, whomever cracked the CGC 9.8 for sigs and a PGX label to save a few bucks is one sorry bastard.The only thing that can salvage this book is to have it CBCS'd for a Red label..............

What is the comic's condition?
This comic is one of the most pristine to exist in present day. The comic is perfectly flat with no creasing AT ALL, with the sharpest corners I've ever seen on any other Hulk #181 9.8 or higher. The pages are a beautiful WHITE. The only imperfection on the entire book is the top right corner of the front cover has a minute original printing ink spread. These are common on comic books and come in various shapes/sizes. Before PGX encapsulated it in 2014, it was previously a CGC 9.8 Universal, but due to time and cost-effectiveness the PGX Signature Series was the best option for it's original owner.

What is the case's condition?
The case is FRESH from PGX. I just had the label and case updated with their new redesigned labels and put into a fresh case. The case seems to have 1 small mark on the back near the top right corner of the book(seen in photos), as well as some sealant residue on the center left(also seen in photos). The comic is sealed and perfectly centered in it's case. The PGX certification number is 501142491, which you can call them to verify it's authenticity as the ONLY other 9.9 to exist besides the unsigned CGC 9.9 that sold for $150,000 back in 2011.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
If you think about it, the seller is pretty smart stooping down to a PGX slab to get the higher grade. He is able to jack the price up hoping someone will just be buying the grade. There are a lot of rookies buyers out there that may not know the difference between a PGX 9.9 vs a CBCS 9.4
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Ny85 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
If you think about it, the seller is pretty smart stooping down to a PGX slab to get the higher grade. He is able to jack the price up hoping someone will just be buying the grade. There are a lot of rookies buyers out there that may not know the difference between a PGX 9.9 vs a CBCS 9.4
I consider myself a rookie buyer I only started 5-6 months ago I wouldn't touch that comic for that price especially considering it's PGX
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

If that is his intent, he's a crook.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:

I do not condone what he is doing, but that is what came to mind when looking at the post. That is the only logical reason he would use PGX on a book like that.
Post 31 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
It looks like it is a pretty nice copy of a 181. This book should go for whatever a red label 9.4/9.6 should go for.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
With a press, a CBCS 9.6 seems about right.
Post 33 IP   flag post
@CopperAgeKids If the signatures are in fact legit. If CGC truly did grade that a 9.8 before it was cracked, it got roughed up during signing. I can't see CBCS going higher than 9.4 if that truly is light soiling I spot on there, along with everything that was pointed out. This truly is a shining example of PGX's ineptitude.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I do not condone what he is doing, but that is what came to mind when looking at the post. That is the only logical reason he would use PGX on a book like that.

Agreed. I didn't think you the type of person to condone such a thing
Post 35 IP   flag post
I should have said "the seller was sneaky" instead of smart.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

One can be smart and evil. Look at most super villains.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
Quote:

One can be smart and evil. Look at most super villains.

Post 38 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
You see this way too often. Key books graded very high by PGX that are also signed. A cynic might think they do this to discourage the books being cracked open and resubmitted to another grading company, since the "authentic" signature status would be lost.

We only have the sellers word that the book was previously a CGC 9.8. You can't grade a book from pictures, so I really don't like to speculate. But I do - like others - see defects and most 9.8's have none to see in pictures. A 9.9 should be virtually flawless. I doubt the book was ever a CGC 9.8. That's just a sales pitch
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Nah, his own sales approach points out that the fact that the book had previously been graded by CGC at 9.8.

he than says it was cracked open and signed & witnessed by PGX.

PGX than graded the book as a Universal 9.9.

By the seller's own inadvertent admission, PGX's grade was higher than CGC's grade.

Anyone who has the money to pay for a CGC or CBCS Universal 9.8 Hulk 181, is not going to be green enough to fall for this tripe.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:

Nah, his own sales approach points out that the fact that the book had previously been graded by CGC at 9.8.

By the seller's own inadvertent admission, PGX's grade was higher than CGC's grade.

Anyone who has the money to pay for a CGC or CBCS Universal 9.8 Hulk 181, is not going to be green enough to fall for this tripe.

We don't know for a fact that the book was previously graded 9.8 by CGC. That's just the seller's claim. He lists no CGC label number, posts no pictures of the book CGC graded. Based on the wording in the listing the sellers statement would be hearsay. He says:

"For it's original owner, the goal was turn-time and cost-effectiveness"

Which would indicate the seller is NOT the original owner. So the person he bought it from told HIM it was originally a CGC 9.8.

You have too much faith in the intelligence of people with money. Could be someone with money that is new to the hobby. Could be someone that inherited the money or just got a large insurance settlement.
Post 41 IP   flag post
In the various Facebook groups I'm in, Im surprised at how many PGX books are being taken seriously. Its absolutely insane.

People post pictures of their books with PGX CBCS CGC all mixed together as if the PGX books are just as legit.
Post 42 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer do you ever attempt to educate?
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego

Sometimes, not often. Commenting on public groups shows up in EVERYONES newsfeed. All save 1 of my friends or family gives a damn about comics and I dont want to be known as "the guy whos always complaining to people about comic books" lol. I prefer to keep my obsession here 🍺
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Sometimes, not often. Commenting on public groups shows up in EVERYONES newsfeed. All save 1 of my friends or family gives a damn about comics and I dont want to be known as "the guy whos always complaining to people about comic books" lol. I prefer to keep my obsession here 🍺

THIS....

Also, I will buy PGX encapsulated books. Because I collect comic books. NOT plastic slabs. But if it's PGX graded book, then there are a few rules I strictly follow. It has to look the assigned grade, it can't be a totally, obviously ridiculous book like a Hulk 181 graded 9.9 AND the seller has to have a clear, cheerful no questions asked return policy. I've gotten too many good deals on PGX books that graded just as well or even better from the better grading companies to just ignore opportunity when it presents itself. This Hulk 181 isn't one of those opportunities.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys! Apologies in advance for the bulk text as I am trying to catch up on the comments all at once, but also I had to wait for account approval(it took a few hours) since I am new to the forums.

I searched my comic on Google and came across this posting, thank you for your comments both informative and critical! I am the Hulk 181 comic owner, and I am just a regular Joe Shmoe collector. I've been an eBay member since 2010, and a PayPal member since 2007. I sold off most of my collection back in 2013-2014, and my CBCS 9.4 Amazing Fantasy #15 during ComicConnects New York live auction during summer 2015.

I have been out of the collecting game for ~2 years, but I am glad to see CBCS has such an active forum, god knows other than the CGC Board there is little to no activity...until now!

I just wanted to answer a couple of the questions I saw on here, if I may? I am not trying to promote my listing but just wanted to simply participate in the community chatter around the book I own. Not often can I talk about comics in the real world, unless another geek comes around. My wife goes to see comic movies with me, and that's about it. I collect just as a personal hobby, she doesn't understand. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atakmunky7
A PGX 9.9.......from what I can see those pages don't look very white.

I just updated all of the photos to hopefully give a clearer picture of it's condition, namely the usage of my hallway lighting was a mistake...it's got a yellow hue bulb instead of the white "natural" lighting I should of used originally. I am just using my camera phone so when I list my next CGC, PGX, and CBCS comics they should hopefully look better...I still have to work on my glare though.

Quote:
I see light soiling on bottom back cover. The book is probably a 9.4 at best. Also can't figure out what is going on with the top back corner, is that a piece of tape or bad restoration or what?

Hey Darth! Yes...this to was a result of the lighting, it gave the bottom right of the back cover some sort of wavy shadows which I think was both a combination of the wrong lighting and also I left the plastic bag on the comic case which gave enormous amounts of glare/shadowing depending on the angle. It should look a lot clearer now(hopefully!). Oh and that mark on the back is a small mark on the case, not the comic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
Peculiar that it has a new design label (2017), but was graded "2/14". Perhaps it was just re-labeled.

It used to be in an old label PGX case, which as we all know, PGX has the ugliest labels of all the grading companies...but I do have to say their new label looks really nice even if it is a copycat of CGC/CBCS styling. It looks like all 3 companies are running on the same wavelength now in terms of a standard for labeling.

Quote:

That could be the case, but I am not to sure. The original owner(not me), chose to do PGX over CGC because CGC can take forever sometimes for grading and PGX was way cheaper. I can't blame him really $1,000 to press/grade from CCS/CGC can be a lot of money, but yeah what's done is done. If I was him 4 years ago I probably would of stuck with CGC. I think CBCS was still kinda new then, not a lot of people were on the band wagon yet.

Quote:
Quote:

Being in his shoes especially when comic grading/pressing is based on a % of it's value...maybe he thought CGC was the crooks(but I don't know, I think he was just poor like the rest of us lol). I think a CBCS/CGC signature series 9.6-9.8 grade in terms of pricing is absolutely fair(It's not worth 150k). I have had some interest around the 20k mark which is within that price range so 25.5k made the most sense as it's also my account cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
...and being sold by a low feedback seller

I have 100% Positive Feedback, but I think you mean low buying/selling(142 total reviews) which is true compared to some eBay accounts that are run by comic stores(they have like thousands upon thousands). I sell casually as a hobby, so I will never get up to their level. In fact I've probably traded and haggled at comic cons as much as I have sold on eBay, hah! But I've always had good return policies, and sold nice comics. The majority of my sales is comic books(not many PGX), although it's been a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:

We don't know for a fact that the book was previously graded 9.8 by CGC. That's just the seller's claim. He lists no CGC label number, posts no pictures of the book CGC graded. Based on the wording in the listing the sellers statement would be hearsay. He says:

"For it's original owner, the goal was turn-time and cost-effectiveness"

Which would indicate the seller is NOT the original owner. So the person he bought it from told HIM it was originally a CGC 9.8.

You have too much faith in the intelligence of people with money. Could be someone with money that is new to the hobby. Could be someone that inherited the money or just got a large insurance settlement.

Definitely. What I listed is 100% hearsay. What I learned about the original owner was over the phone so I wasn't able to get CGC photos or anything like that. I wish I could of, it really is a nice comic. I don't think he even took photos of it until after it was cracked, signed, and regraded by PGX. Before that he wasn't trying to sell it.

I am by no means a proponent of PGX over any other company, and I have only owned a few PGX comics in my day. Mostly CGC stuff, although my AF15 was a CBCS. I am not a scammer, and I am not trying to rip anyone off or cheat them(I am not a crook). I just happen to own a high value comic that's inside a PGX case, and my son is due in November so as long as it goes to a nice home between now and then for a fair value...I am a happy camper.

Thanks for listening guys, and I look forward to seeing you around the forums!
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome @Comic_Book_Man
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
Welcome @Comic_Book_Man

Hey, thanks Darkga!
Glad to be here.

It does feel a little unnatural riding a PGX wave to the shores of the CBCS forum, but here I am!
Post 48 IP   flag post
After seeing the new photos with better lighting and resolution I can believe this got a CGC 9.8.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome @Comic_Book_Man, pretty cool that you joined the forum and gave your viewpoint.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:
After seeing the new photos with better lighting and resolution I can believe this got a CGC 9.8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
Welcome @Comic_Book_Man, pretty cool that you joined the forum and gave your viewpoint.

Of course!
- Honestly I prefer to buy/sell comics at Comic Cons or Thrift Stores, and then probably on a respectable Forum(via PayPal), and my last choice would be eBay...just because as a genuine collector you get thrown in with these sort of like craigslisty type scammer people, and it doesn't help that my first comic listed in 2 years is a PGX who has their own reputation problems.

Is there a section to sell comics on this forum? I haven't even looked yet.

I am grateful to the community here so far, they are blunt but honest, which is all you can ever hope for. If it wasn't for me seeing this forum post I would of never thought to update my photos...I just now showed my wife the before and after photos and she said the before "looks like absolute garbage".
Lesson learned in 2017, ask the wife and ask the CBCS forum before you list a comic for sale...especially when you are a terrible photographer.

Thanks again all for the warm welcome, I am going to head to bed for the night.
Post 51 IP   flag post
@comic_book_man there is no dedicated section for sales, we just make a new thread for whatever is being sold.

If it's not cost prohibitive for you, I would think heavily about having your book regraded by CBCS with signature verification. You may have better luck getting buyers for a VSP CBCS 9.8. The caveat of course, you risk getting a 9.6.
Post 52 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
IMO this book is 9.6 Max!... Maybe screaming to be a 9.8, but it's not.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Must have been quite an experience to sell an AF 15 9.4
Post 54 IP   flag post
@comic_book_man Welcome aboard. I appreciate the response to all our different thoughts. Oh, and your right. Always get the wifes opinion on important things.
Post 55 IP   flag post
601541 70 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?