Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

Cameo or Full as 1st appearance3757

Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Okay....we all have seen this occur and is atill occurring.

Cameos....

Some are shown in the shadows.
Some have their back turned away.
Sometimes the newbie is in a doorway, yet blacked out so you cant tell whom they are.

Fulls....
Seen on the cover.
Seen in the book as an introduction.
Seen in cross-overs and annuals.

What are your thoughts? Do you have any? Do you collect both? Are cameos more fun than full appearances? Are cover 1st appearances "grail" quality?

Cheers to all....and thanks to those who respond.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Love cover appearances. I was just saying this in another thread, the first appearance of Dr Strange makes me wanna puke because he isn't on the cover.

I don't care much for cameo's. I want a full appearance and on the cover. Unless its a cameo and they appear on the cover, then to me that's the book to chase.

I guess my answer is ... Cover appearance trumps cameo vs full in most cases for me.
Post 2 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
First BLACK CANARY from FLASH #86...

mm
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
ok, want to throw this in. Dr Who did it.

Dr #12 did a cameo in Day of the Dr, BEFORE the actor started doing the part. That was a LOT of fun.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Pacoma7623 private msg quote post Address this user
I think dr.strange is like the 3rd story in that book on top of it.was JUST looking at it.lol.i'm of the belief of 1st app is the 1st app.cameo or full.i try to get all possible iterations of a 1sty.cameo,full,cover,in a preview,in an ad in another comic...i would prefer if they all were on the cover and INTRODUCING.......
Post 5 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Introducing...

mm
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
@Pacoma7623

Like the 1938 ad, in those few existing comics, of that new exciting character Superman?
Post 7 IP   flag post
EXACTLY!! Always look for that in cons.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
It seems the term "cameo" is being misused on the labels of grading companies.

Cameo is a brief appearance of a well known character at the time of publication.

Here is how cameo is defined by the Oxford Dictionary:

A small character part, played by a distinguished actor.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Finley2020 private msg quote post Address this user
So here's my question: Ultron, what is his first appearance? Avengers #54 or #55? Would it be #55 because he isn't explicitly named in #54?

Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Cameo my butt...

Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finley2020
So here's my question: Ultron, what is his first appearance? Avengers #54 or #55? Would it be #55 because he isn't explicitly named in #54?

First appearance - Avengers #54
First full appearance - Avengers #55
Post 12 IP   flag post
I think accepting that a true first appearance doesn't automatically equal top value is part of it all as well.

To use the example from @Darkga , I absolutely agree that 180 is the first appearance. There is no argument. But, I would rather own 181 (not because its worth more, but because I get a cover appearance and a story). Seems most people feel this way, as 181 has the value.

@CaptainCanuck agreed, the term is used wrong. Grading companies seem to use the term "Cameo" to mean: this character first appeared here but its not good enough for a first appearance book.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I also don't agree with the use of the term "cameo" for 1st appearances in comics. Stan Lee popping up for some quick screen time in a Spider-man or Avengers movie is a cameo. For comics, labels on slabs should use "First Appearance," "First Full Appearance," and/or "First Cover." And if the X-Men show up in a Fantastic Four comic, the label should say "X-Men Appearance" or "X-Men Crossover." Also known as: Keep It Simple, Stupid - the KISS method.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finley2020

I don't think a "mention" of a "mystery person" classifies as a "cameo" within comics, because you can't see any figure.

I would think some image of the being would be the minimum.

Doomsday cameo for example.

In many books we see his fist breaking out of some sort of containment. IMO - these are Cameos.

But I also am one to believe that the containment object that held Doomsday is also shown in "Panic in the sky" story where Brainiac (?) releases a "doomsdsy" device....on the last page.

Is that the true original cameo of Doomsday?

This can be an interesting topic, huh?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
@CaptainCanuck agreed, the term is used wrong. Grading companies seem to use the term "Cameo" to mean: this character first appeared here but its not good enough for a first appearance book.

For instance, a graded issue of Incredible Hulk #180 could note the following:

First Appearance (brief) of Wolverine.

While a graded issue of Incredible Hulk #181 could depict:

First Appearance (full) of Wolverine.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Along with the definition of "cameo" can we look up the definition of "first"?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
But I also am one to believe that the containment object that held Doomsday is also shown in "Panic in the sky" story where Brainiac (?) releases a "doomsdsy" device....on the last page

What book is that?
Post 18 IP   flag post

i believe this is the book he's talking about.shows the round "ship" containing doomsday
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
It seems the term "cameo" is being misused on the labels of grading companies.

Cameo is a brief appearance of a well known character at the time of publication.

Here is how cameo is defined by the Oxford Dictionary:

A small character part, played by a distinguished actor.

That may be how it's defined in the entertainment industry, but in the comic book industry it's always had a different meaning.
Post 20 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
You guys are complaining about the use of the word cameo not strictly fitting the dictionary definition? Yet you don't even offer up a better word to use for the situation? SMH
Post 21 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Partial would be a better word than cameo and a good counterpart to Full
Post 22 IP   flag post
I can with partial or brief.
Post 23 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
With 15 years of slabs in the wild that would make things worse.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
You guys are complaining about the use of the word cameo not strictly fitting the dictionary definition? Yet you don't even offer up a better word to use for the situation? SMH

You must have missed my prior post reply regarding naming conventions
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck

For instance, a graded issue of Incredible Hulk #180 could note the following:

First Appearance (brief) of Wolverine.

While a graded issue of Incredible Hulk #181 could depict:

First Appearance (full) of Wolverine.
Post 25 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
I think a full picture or half picture where it says the name of said character should be considered the first appearance.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
Mystique has one of the weakest cameos of any character I know of. In Ms. Marvel 16 we only see a person looking through binoculars--that's all we get. Then in issue 17 we see a person disguised as Nick Fury.

Finally in issue 18 we see her in one panel while she is in blue form. One panel! Yet it's considered her full appearance.

Post 27 IP   flag post
Luckily we can use the GPA if we purchase the wrong 1st app lol. (Please read the whole GPA thread if u haven't )
Post 28 IP   flag post
Do slabs move in herds in the wild?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Eddie brock got a weak 1sty also.a hand pushing peter parker in the back....and a few issues b4 the all powerful ish 300 we see the symbiote creep over eddies hands .both of eddies firsties invole just his hands.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601274 63 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?