Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

Error book? what kind of grade / non-grade ?3743

Collector ComxDlr private msg quote post Address this user
I have a book that typically was shipped with a cover and a 1/2 over cover (Batman #497)... however in our shipment i received a 'primary' cover missing copy that still had the 1/2 "over-cover" attached (see picture) How does something like this get graded? Would it get a qualified grade, or deemed ungradable ??

Trying to figure what to do with it.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Jlh9776 private msg quote post Address this user
I see these on eBay all the time so I don't believe it's that rare.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Batman-497-Bane-Breaks-Batmans-Back-CGC-NG-Manufacturing-Error-1993-DC-/371932773659?epid=85370071&hash=item5698ebbd1b%3Ag%3AoOAAAOSwcgNZAoFU&_trkparms=pageci%253A033cdda9-707e-11e7-b7f8-74dbd1809da7%257Cparentrq%253A750aa44a15d0aa411ad0851ffffb615c%257Ciid%253A2
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@ComxDlr unlike CGC slabbing it and giving a "NG", CBCS will actually give you a grade on this. If it's deemed a true error book (which @Jlh9776 has shown others have these), it wont count against the grade. Its graded as-is and you'll probably get a note on the label error of some sort.

I didn't know these were out there... I want one now
Post 3 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@ComxDlr - Question, how do you know if it's an assembly error or if someone just carefully removed the inside full cover?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Finley2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@ComxDlr - Question, how do you know if it's an assembly error or if someone just carefully removed the inside full cover?
That was going to be my question. Pretty cool all the same.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:

Well personally **I** know as it came in with the (??? 100+ ???) copies that we received with our normal weekly Batman shipment at my shop.. and as i was bagging or loading the subscriptions into the boxes or on the shelf, I found it.. thought it was cool and bagged/boarded it and took it home

now how could you tell if someone else did this.. that is another question but not really the one I was concerned about
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlh9776
I see these on eBay all the time so I don't believe it's that rare.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Batman-497-Bane-Breaks-Batmans-Back-CGC-NG-Manufacturing-Error-1993-DC-/371932773659?epid=85370071&hash=item5698ebbd1b%3Ag%3AoOAAAOSwcgNZAoFU&_trkparms=pageci%253A033cdda9-707e-11e7-b7f8-74dbd1809da7%257Cparentrq%253A750aa44a15d0aa411ad0851ffffb615c%257Ciid%253A2

Define "that rare" ive seen 3 total, one NG cgc that you linked above.. someone selling an "unslabbed" one and mine.. through im not dumb enough to figure that it didnt happen more often, however if its about as rare as a double/triple+ cover.. then its still comparatively much rarer then say a normal copy of the book..

The book you linked with the NG slab is why im asking this on the CBCS forum.. Id much rather send it where it would get some sort of number grade and i get it would probably be a 'qualified' one .. but an NG ot me isnt a real grade.. heck i can 'slab' a book with an NG label.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Jlh9776 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm just stating in my experience I've seen quite a few of these over the years. I'm not saying it's not worth grading. I was simply showing an example of one that had been graded.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@ComxDlr -

This is the only slabbed manufacturing error comic that I own. A Wolverine cover with Ghost Rider interior pages. My guess is that there were different numbers of covers and interiors on the assembly line machinery when they switched issues. Something similar probably happened with your comic; they ran out of interior covers before the process was done and nobody caught it.

I don't know if any other copies of this Wolverine/Ghost Rider hybrid exist. If you tried to fake this, you would leave marks on the staples when you opened and re-closed them, and I'm not sure how well the staple holes in the cover and interior pages would line up. I have a few double covers and a Superman vs. Muhammad Ali Treasury with repeated/substituted pages, but they are not slabbed (or raw graded).

PS - I'm not trying to imply that yours is "faked" - just thinking/asking out loud if CBCS (or CGC) could tell. If they can, IMO it would get a Blue Certified label from CBCS and also be identified as a "Manufacturing Error." Personally, I would ask CBCS (Steve or Jake?) about this, and if they can verify it's an error, I'd probably have it slabbed.

Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo
Nice book
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
@esaravo
Nice book

Thanks. I think errors are pretty interesting. Maybe I'll send my double covers in for slabbing one of these days.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
@ComxDlr -

PS - I'm not trying to imply that yours is "faked" - just thinking/asking out loud if CBCS (or CGC) could tell. If they can, IMO it would get a Blue Certified label from CBCS and also be identified as a "Manufacturing Error." Personally, I would ask CBCS (Steve or Jake?) about this, and if they can verify it's an error, I'd probably have it slabbed.

No I understand you weren't .. I was just stating how i knew this one was definately not faked.. I dont know how that CBCS / (or any other grader) would know for 100% sure that it was real..

I'll send Steve or someone a note.. I have no desire to spend the money to have it slabbed for a no grade label .. i'll just leave it in the mylar/board but if it could be given a grade.. id send it with the next batch of books to be graded
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
@esaravo
Nice book

Thanks. I think errors are pretty interesting. Maybe I'll send my double covers in for slabbing one of these days.

Yeah i have a few of those.. A Punisher book and a Rock n Roll comics Queen one that im probably going to have done.
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComxDlr
I have a book that typically was shipped with a cover and a 1/2 over cover (Batman #497)... however in our shipment i received a 'primary' cover missing copy that still had the 1/2 "over-cover" attached (see picture) How does something like this get graded? Would it get a qualified grade, or deemed ungradable ??

Trying to figure what to do with it.

Aren't comic books made with double wraps? I mean, the front cover and the back cover are one larger piece of paper?

How could this book have a back cover (or next to the back cover page), and be missing the front cover?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak

Aren't comic books made with double wraps? I mean, the front cover and the back cover are one larger piece of paper?

How could this book have a back cover (or next to the back cover page), and be missing the front cover?

they are one big sheet.. but think of it as 1 inside.. for the 'directs' and the 'newsstand' versions.. both get a different cover.. same thing here.. except there are "2 covers" one main cover and then the 1/3 wrap.. which covers the whole back cover but only 1/3rd of the front.. so what happened here was the book got the insides.. missed somehow the main cover (or some other book got 2) and then got the partial wrap...

the most likely reason it didnt get caught.. was stacked up you see the edge with the 1/3rd wrap there.. and thus it didnt look bad in a stack.. if it had missed the 1/3rd wrap or both covers you would have seen a different color at the staples.. thus making it easier to catch
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@conditionfreak What @ComxDlr said.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@ComxDlr CBCS doesn't have a qualified grade, you will get the actual grade. I'm not sure how they would grade this type of error but I would definitely send it in.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Dalkiel private msg quote post Address this user
Not really on topic, just a question. In another thread the discussion was about what comic title should be on the graded label. The answer was given by CBCS that what it is in the indicia from inside the comic. So then why is esaravo's issue of Wolverine with Ghost Rider interiors not titled Ghost Rider #2?
Just wondering.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@Dalkiel - Good question! Why didn't they call it Ghost Rider v.2 #2 with cover of Wolverine #25?
Post 19 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@Dalkiel @esaravo because the conclusion(?) of that discussion was that CBCS say they follow the indicia but yet they dont always in some cases lol
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Dalkiel private msg quote post Address this user
OK
Thanks.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
@Dalkiel @esaravo because the conclusion(?) of that discussion was that CBCS say they follow the indicia but yet they dont always in some cases lol

There's a lack of consistency with the policy, as numerous examples have demonstrated. It would be nice if answers started sounding like CBCS answers instead of CGC answers.
Post 22 IP   flag post
598059 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?