Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden AgeQuestions

Grade My Comic3728

Collector keefriffhards private msg quote post Address this user
I got this from Metropolis comics... please (everyone) use you gut wisdom to find out if they are right or wrong... this also helps me learn grading. Each day I will take a photo of the inside and send more shots to see if guessing is right/ wrong. Let's point out things... like "Water staining", "Chipping"... color of paper etc... I will then submit it to CBCS in a couple weeks and we can see what they do with it.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Mef private msg quote post Address this user
I believe that label says 'missing 1 pg' which means CBCS would automatically grade it a .5

I'm fairly certain, but I'm open to correction.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Agree
Post 3 IP   flag post
Interesting... "One page from Bart Reagan Story" I guess sounds better than saying "One page MISSING from Bart Reagan Story"... you just saved me from a wasted submission then, since 0.3 or 0.1 tells you little to nothing about the rest, apart from an 'incomplete'... sort of like at school when they send you home with an 'incomplete' and no grade...
Post 4 IP   flag post
I see that other than owning a nice Golden Age DC that normally would be worth mega $$$, this book falls between some odd cracks (and hence the $300 price I got it for)...it can't be pressed due to the water damage, it can't be graded (other than PGX) since it will get a 0.3 I assume no matter what... so all you have is a filler for a Detective Comics #41. So the grades would then be (correct me)...

CBCS = 0.3
CGC. =. ?? (I know they also penalize for missing pages/ covers)
PGX. =. 1.5?
Post 5 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Why would water damage prevent you from having a book pressed?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Mef private msg quote post Address this user
@keefriffhards I would look at it as a really nice addition to your collection. It's beautiful early Bob Kane Batman Art and you can still get it pressed and graded just for the preservation aspect if you're into that!
Post 7 IP   flag post
I read in my Overstreet Guide that if you have water damage it is not generally a good candidate for pressing (I assume since the water marks remain, albeit without the wrinkling... not sure... thanks also Mef I would love to get this comic "sorted" as they say in the UK, and get it nicely pressed and slabbed...even if it's a 0.3. I know it looks like a really awful grade to have but it is accurate and that is good.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Pressing it may help flatten the book, but it won't help with the numerous other defects. Why not just throw it in a Mylar4 and fullback?
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I hate to say this, but your best bet (if your intention is selling it) is CGC Qualified Grade with the green label, with Qualified service they will grade the actual condition without automatically calling it an incomplete 0.5, that sounds like what you want from what you said. I would also recommend getting it pressed unless the pages are brittle.
Post 10 IP   flag post
597876 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?