Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

HOW TO SPOT SHILL BIDDERS ? ? ?3696

Collector ONLINE_209 private msg quote post Address this user
do you believe this is accurate
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector verbogyrater private msg quote post Address this user
I always wonder if ebay analyzes the same bids of this sort.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Auctions with private bidder lists are a dead giveaway. One dude relisted something I wanted four freaking times after the auction had been "won" each time.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Hmmm - I just tried this out with some of the items I bought from a seller that is my go to. Saw some suspicious bids now that I know what to look for.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
that example this guy used is hilarious. I've never actually looked at other bidders while an auction was going on, I'll have to start doing that.

One sure-fire way to know if you have been shilled and the seller got caught with his pants down is if you get a second chance offer within 24 hours of losing an auction. I'm sure there's exceptions, but sales don't fall through that quickly lol
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, a next day second chance offer is more than suspicious. It takes me eight days to clear an item for resale if the winning bidder doesn't pay if I have to go all the way through the process. Now I have had some winning bidders tell me they don't want to go through with the transaction within a few days of winning, but in 12 years of selling hundreds of items, I think I can count on one hand how many times that's happened.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Can you report shill bidding to eBay, or is that practice fair game according to their rules?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaxx35
Can you report shill bidding to eBay, or is that practice fair game according to their rules?
I doubt the phillipino reps care too much with all the other complaints they have to listen to.
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaxx35

Yes, you can. On every listing there is a report link. There will be a few drop menus to select the reason for the report, there is one specifically for the seller using other accounts to artificially inflate the sale price.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector vabchgent private msg quote post Address this user
So bids where private listing -bidders identities protected are involved are probably good for this, I have been bidding on a book and know what it should go for around or about and right now its about 40.00 higher than the round about price.
Post 10 IP   flag post
What is a round about price?
Post 11 IP   flag post
@DarthLego Round about more then it went for last week, last week book went for 68.00 low grade 2.0 book. This week same grade 2.0 or less at 104.00 right now. its a low grade golden horror key.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Is it a hard to find book?
Post 13 IP   flag post
@DarthLego See above yes to an extent. Thanks
Post 14 IP   flag post
I don't think the jump is unrealistic considering it's the only raw copy on eBay and the only slabbed copy on eBay is sitting at $499.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@DarthLego The book in better then that condition is max all guides being nice 150.00 at (4.0) and that's being nice. So 2.5 is 60.00 4.5 is 108.00(comicspriceguide) the other one 2.5 108.00 4.5 204.00(comicbookrealm) .The numbers run a gambit on this one.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Yes, you can. On every listing there is a report link. There will be a few drop menus to select the reason for the report, there is one specifically for the seller using other accounts to artificially inflate the sale price.

Does anyone know if a report is anonymous? I have some strong suspicions, but I don't know if I want to make an open allegation. I more want someone to just look into it and see if there's any fire to go along with the smoke.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Themaxx35 it should be. I've never had eBay even follow up with me on any reports I've made.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Themaxx35 it should be. I've never had eBay even follow up with me on any reports I've made.

Maybe the reports go into their spam folders..."thank you for your interest...your feedback is very important to us..."
Post 19 IP   flag post
Electronic circular file. Rimming...its good!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabchgent
So bids where private listing -bidders identities protected are involved are probably good for this, I have been bidding on a book and know what it should go for around or about and right now its about 40.00 higher than the round about price.

I was going to bid on a book and saw that the bids were private listing and didn't show bidder identities. I asked on the board if this would be considered shill bids since it was masking the bidders and the response I received was that due to the bid amounts that it didn't seem like fake bids. I always felt that if I can't see who I'm bidding against, even if it's just some letters with some "*" in between , that I may be bidding against the seller of the book.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Finley2020 private msg quote post Address this user
I always hated getting outbid on an item that saw ZERO action until the last 30 seconds. Next day sure enough there is the Second Chance offer.

Once I was bidding on a nice graded ASM#101 (Morbius first appearance) and lost. The seller contacted me and told me that the winner had zero feedback and that he would rather sell it to me for my highest bid. It smacked of a scam every which way but since I was actually WILLING to pay my highest bid I OKed it. That was a very anxious week until my book finally arrived in tact. Needless to say my wife knew none of this
Post 22 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@Finley2020 the way to go there is offer the seller what your highest bid was before the high (shill) bidder got involved. That'll really stick in their craw, but it's the legit price of the auction.
Post 23 IP   flag post
That's bs because a seller can block zero feedback buyers in their settings. If a seller excepts buyers by not setting that then they would be breaking a contact by backing out, that is assuming they are being truthful about the reason, which is sketchy because of the reason I just stated. Either way, bad form on the seller.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Finley2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
@Finley2020 the way to go there is offer the seller what your highest bid was before the high (shill) bidder got involved. That'll really stick in their craw, but it's the legit price of the auction.
That's good to keep in mind for next time. I got so caught up in getting the book that even when he came back with absolute highest bid I went for it. I most likely could have saved $30 or so had I done it the right way.

Quote:
That's bs because a seller can block zero feedback buyers in their settings. If a seller excepts buyers by not setting that then they would be breaking a contact by backing out, that is assuming they are being truthful about the reason, which is sketchy because of the reason I just stated. Either way, bad form on the seller.
Agreed. Given how unorthodox the whole thing felt and his lack of a communication or even tracking number made me pretty nervous. Altogether it was stupid on my part to even try it and I think I just got lucky this time.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector ONLINE_209 private msg quote post Address this user
to me it is a double-edged sword on one hand they can click on your name and see your 30-Day Bid History which could help them to determine if you would be willing to try and outbid a shiller on the other hand it also helps you to spot a potential shiller
Post 26 IP   flag post
597984 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?