Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

How much have I over/under paid?3675

Collector Mickee92 private msg quote post Address this user
So my collection revolves around first appearances first editions that have future movie releases mainly for a profit when selling on... although I am starting to get attached to them uh oh!

I've jumped on the bandwagon and bought a Nm New Teen Titans #2 with deathstrokes first appearance.

How much is this going for at the moment and are the ebay prices a true price guide for it?

Please say more than I've bought it for
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
You'll want to do an advanced search on eBay and look at Sold listings, this will give an idea of what people are actually paying as opposed to what inflated prices are being asked.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector nikki666666 private msg quote post Address this user
@Mickee92 was it raw or slabbed?

I picked up a copy of this raw in 'NM' condition for £66 about 2-3 weeks back.

Think the seller took my offer knowing it wasn't NM.

Its a strong 8.5 i reckon.

but NM - id say up to about £85-90 for true NM would be good
Post 3 IP   flag post
The comic is raw.

From the last sold Nm I can find on ebay it sold for £140ish.

The one I bought was up for £139 and bought it for £95.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Get it graded (and possibly pressed).

If it comes back 9.2 or lower you got a bad deal on your purchase.

If it comes back 9.4 or better yet 9.6 you scored.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector nikki666666 private msg quote post Address this user
@Mickee92 I think thats a good buy if its a true NM 9.0 and up.

Are you gonna get it slabbed? Looking at the price of what its up for 9.4 and above it would be a sound investment.. a 9.8 sold for £530 last month and a 9.6 for £350, 9.4 £240...
Post 6 IP   flag post
Yeah I want a few of my comics graded but its just finding out prices etc and getting them over to cbcs.

Going to try i think scotts collectibles. How much is it oer comic to get graded?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector KiloGraham private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickee92
Yeah I want a few of my comics graded but its just finding out prices etc and getting them over to cbcs.

Going to try i think scotts collectibles. How much is it oer comic to get graded?

Dan Scott only deals with CGC, but he'll get you in touch with cbcs rep in UK. Great guy, he's the only CGC facilitator that I'll use when I need cgc.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector FN_2199 private msg quote post Address this user
If you are:

1. Speculating
2. Buying High and selling high/low

you may want to re-think your "investment" strategy since you aren't collecting these books. Once the movie or character is announced, you only have minutes before the reasonably priced books are gone and you have to overpay.

At least make sure you are diversifying so you can figure out what works for you.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Well ill try and buy below the asking price always. For example:

Nm 1st spiderman platinum edition with incentive letter i paid £90 & im sure its worth more.

Nm New gods #7 £150 i paid and from what I've seen being sold its worth a lot more.

I have first appearance for:

Domino - cable - cyborg - gambit - emma frost - deadpool - mr sinister - the black order - steppenwolf

And others and fair enough some aren't as desirable but their all in NM condition vfn at least and maybe not going to make it big in the films but I'd like to think by 2020 id have made more if not my money back?

But its all down to chance I suppose.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
Are these raw books you're buying? If you paid £150 (about $200 USD) for an unslabbed New Gods #7, you got reamed. Where are you seeing copies sell for that much? It's also highly unlikely that books will sustain anything near it's current value after the movie.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Theres 2 on ebay slabbed for over £300 and its not going to cost £150 to get mine graded?

Theres a vfn being sold for £190.

I use http://comics.gocollect.com to check out their price increases and what the previously sold for?

Also took some advice on here and said if i can get it for £180 then that would be good?

Lets hope i can get my moneys worth then
Post 12 IP   flag post
See my post above. Be sure that what is being asked by sellers is what buyers are actually willing to pay. Sellers can ask what ever they feel like asking.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickee92
Theres 2 on ebay slabbed for over £300 and its not going to cost £150 to get mine graded?

Theres a vfn being sold for £190.

I use http://comics.gocollect.com to check out their price increases and what the previously sold for?

Also took some advice on here and said if i can get it for £180 then that would be good?

Lets hope i can get my moneys worth then

There’s a far cry between a comic that looks “NM” to you and a comic that actually sits in a 9.4 slab. Unless you are an experienced grader and know you have a lock on a 9.4 or above, it sounds like you overpaid.

Have you submiited many books for grading and know what to expect?

And you can’t go by ebay listings with crazy asking prices, look at the sold listings to see what they’ve been fetching there. Raw copies are nowhere near that territory.

Slabbed copies are currently selling in this range:

(NM) 9.4 $500

(NM-) 9.2 $225

(VF/NM) 9.0 $150
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector FN_2199 private msg quote post Address this user
Books will plateau or go down after the movie for the next few years since collectors got their fill up to and during the movie.

Before the movie was announced, I was collecting a Civil War run with all tie-ins and those were good sellers so deals were competitive. Recently I auctioned off some Civil War books and got a rude awakening about where the market is for those now. I am going long on Civil War books right now because I believe the market is depressed and am trying to get the 9.8s I want now before they go up.

If your end game is 2020, consider getting the once hot books that have cooled, they will probably be picking back up by then.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Hmmm looks like i have a lot to learn :/

I'll take all your advices on board.

Would it be worth getting the first appearances slabbed at least?
Post 16 IP   flag post
I would recommend slabbing any book you intend to sell, unless the value is to low to be profitable.
Post 17 IP   flag post
600632 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?