Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedGrading Help NeededQuestions

Canadian experiences and information please364

Collector TheChizzle private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, it's TheChizzle. I was wondering if any canadians could give me an example of how it was for them to send in some books. Stuff like turnaround time and price and shipping etc. Number of books, avg price per book. What was the book? Please and thanks. Any information is greatly appreciated.

TheChizzle
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
I fast tracked mine through the Modern tier and it was about three actual weeks turnaround (arrived on a Thursday before a convention weekend) but in business days it was right on time. Our dollar was much better then so I think it was about 40 per book factoring in shipping, exchange, etc.

If you are sending directly I strongly recommend getting the required paperwork forms filled out at a Canada Customs so that you will not be charged extra by Fedex upon return.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Hi Ox, thanks for the response. How many books did you submit at one time and how/where would I get the required paperwork forms... at canada customs? Not sure I follow that exactly. So CBCS only sends back via Fedex? Again, thanks!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
I am not entirely sure of the form name designation, but basically a temporary import form. You would take the items you are going to send to a Canadian Border Services office and tell them what you intend to do with them and they itemize the contents of the package and make up the form you need. You affix/include this form with your submission. CBCS then includes this form with the book when they ship them back and you should not be charged any addition taxes (or as some people mistakenly call them duties) upon their return. Someone else here might be able to tell you what the form name/designation actually is. I do know that you do have to actually show them the contents of your package.

For me, I sent three books down first to Tony Starks for pressing and he sent them on to CBCS. So all told it was more than $40 a book for me but I sold one of the books upon return for more than it cost me all told for pressing, fast tracking,shipping and whatnot (which is one of the reasons why I added some extra costs to my bill)I couldn't make it to a Canadian Border Services office so I did get stung for extra taxes upon return by Fedex. And yes I think the only option for Canucks is Fedex but it was pretty darn reasonable when all said and done. That extra tax was very disappointing though.

I hassled Tony a bit about timing of charges and whatnot but that was because I was tight for cash at the time he finished pressing and CBCS received and charged my account. But the entire process was smooth and if I recall pretty much on the mark for fast track TATs at the time.
Post 4 IP   flag post
excellent. thank you for all of the great info. i now have somewhere to start from and look into some things. i appreciate your help big time.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Kanaloa private msg quote post Address this user
THIS INFORMATION WILL SAVE ALL CANADIAN CUSTOMERS FROM PAYING CUSTOMS FEES (AS PER CANADIAN CUSTOMS

the burden of proof that the books came from Canada falls to you. The best way to prevent this from being called into question is to visit your local customs office before shipping your submission and explain your intentions for these comics — that they are yours and are being sent to the US for evaluation only. They will provide you with a form that should accompany your comic submission and, when the books are returned with this form, the package will not be called into question.

If a Canadian submission without this form, hopefully the grading company will return the books with any claim stickers that were affixed to the original box. This has sometimes worked as proof that the books came from Canada.

The value that is declare on the package should be amount paid for the grading of the books and they will be noted as “Canadian goods being returned, shipped to US for evaluation only.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector BM_Cruz private msg quote post Address this user
If you live in Toronto. You can go to Pearson International Airport. There's a CBSA office on the arrivals section at Terminal 1 where you can ask for that specific form (can't recall the name of it but it's green in colour - kinda like an index card).
Post 7 IP   flag post
Great responses, thanks you fellow collectors! Much appreciated.
Post 8 IP   flag post
600790 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?