Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

Its worth HOW MUCH?!361

Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityG
WOW! Modern collecting is out-of-control...

Sad, ain't it?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma
Quote:

I just think its fun when you go through your boxes and come across books you had no idea were worth so much lol.

Agreed! Its great, especially what you've discovered in your collection! lol very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton
Quote:

Sad, ain't it?

A bit... it's crazy to see some of the prices for these new books raw or slabbed. I'm not here to discredit anything anyone has. All in all, we love the industry and it's really enjoying the spotlight these days.

Hypothetically, would you drop 3K on a modern age book signed by your favorite artist? or pick up a high grade key Silver Age book?

It's all subjective...
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
@John1122 The old guy died of a heart attack a few years ago. I believe that his widow still runs the shop. Not sure. I haven't been in there in years. Bill Langford, co-owner of Comics Exchange in South Knoxville told me about the old guy.

I lucked out a few years ago at a yard sale in Newport and bought Omega Men 3 and X Factor 5 for a dollar each. Not big scores, but not bad.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Hypothetically, would you drop 3K on a modern age book signed by your favorite artist?

Never. It's like a game of "Hot Potato" for adults.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Soma private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:
Hypothetically, would you drop 3K on a modern age book signed by your favorite artist?

That doesnt make sense, you spend 3k for a favorite artist why does it matter what age the book is? unless youre in it for the money and not the collecting.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That doesnt make sense, you spend 3k for a favorite artist why does it matter what age the book is? unless youre in it for the money and not the collecting.

Lets face it. Everyone into comics loves both aspects, collecting (art, story, history) and the monetary value they bring.

Today, comics are like a stock market. If I had to choose between dropping a lot of money on a hot book signed by one of my favorite artists or a key high grade silver age book, i'd choose the latter.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
If I had to choose between dropping a lot of money on a hot book signed by one of my favorite artists or a key high grade silver age book, i'd choose the latter.

Im sorry.

Sure assigning a price to your collection is fun, but its kinda sad when the value is more important than the collecting or the artist. Ive never sold anything from my collection. because its a colletion. Personally... Id take a signed modern from my favorite artist over any key silver. Hell id get any rare key silver i had and get them signed, unwitnessed if i had opportunity. Sure that doesnt mean as much now with VSP... but id imagine that would piss some resellers right off.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector stophmaster private msg quote post Address this user
Utterly preposterous prices for these modern books. They have astronomical print runs, and everyone keeps them pristine, unlike the old books where they were read and thrashed, and hi-grade examples are actually scarce/rare. My advice is to sell while people are paying these insane prices.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
The artificial scarcity of modern variant covers 1:1000 etc is a bit annoying and gimmicky. But hey, if someone wants to lay down $3000 grand or more for it, go for it.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'll re-word it.
Would I pay 3K for an autograph from my favorite modern artist? Never.

Would I pay for an autograph from my favorite modern artist on a 3K modern book? Never, because I'd never pay 3K on a modern.

Would I pay for an autograph from my favorite artist (not modern artist) on a 3K Silver or Bronze? Yes, if I could afford it.

Would I pay 3K on an autograph from my favorite artist (not modern) on a sheet of paper? I won't say "never", but it's pretty darned unlikely. Maybe if Frazetta were resurrected just so he could inscribe it to me.
Post 35 IP   flag post
@MR_SigS - much better wording, well put!

@Despain, @stophmaster - totally agree. I feel it's a re-hash of gimmickry when they were doing the holographic and embossed covers in the 90s. Well thats when it all started...

The variant covers are cool i guess, but the one thing i do like is the blank covers where you can get your favorite artist to not only sign but doddle an illustration.

Now that's cool!
Post 36 IP   flag post
I guess i would be labeled as an artist collector. Meaning the the stuff i tend to collect are done by a favorite artist. Or it has awesome art, or awesome covers. Sure theres quite a few books i follow and read, But as an artist myself... im drawn to the artwork. if a cover comes along and looks like this:

Im not gonna pass it up... it is an amazing looking cover... i dont care that i havent been following spiderman, and i probably wouldnt even read it. I would put it up on my wall and display it like a piece of art (which it is lol) (i mean if i could afford it obviously... lol)

So when i say i would rather have a modern variant and get it signed.. its more personal in a way that, i seek out the artists, many of whom ive become friends with over the years. I find books that theyve done... even if its a ridiculous 1:100 variant or whatever.

My Collection sets consist of "Artist Runs" rather than Key Issues or Story Runs. I may not have spider-man 1-700, But i have Every book Joe Madureira has ever done, including rare variants youve probably never even seen before.

And while "Old Timers" are holding on to their ASM so they can make some retirement money. Im holding on to books like Wolverine #1 Deadpool Variant because i like the way it looks. Everything in my collection will go to my daughter someday rather then ever selling it. Theres a reason why i dont care if i get witnessed signatures or sketches... because i dont need to prove anyone signed or sketched for me.

Quote:

The variant covers are cool i guess, but the one thing i do like is the blank covers where you can get your favorite artist to not only sign but doddle an illustration.

Now that's cool!

agreed about those blanks! one of my favorite things to do at conventions is to bring my stack of blank books and get sketches.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
I guess i would be labeled as an artist collector. Meaning the the stuff i tend to collect are done by a favorite artist. Or it has awesome art, or awesome covers. Sure theres quite a few books i follow and read, But as an artist myself... im drawn to the artwork. if a cover comes along and looks like this:

(snip)

Im not gonna pass it up... it is an amazing looking cover... i dont care that i havent been following spiderman, and i probably wouldnt even read it. I would put it up on my wall and display it like a piece of art (which it is lol) (i mean if i could afford it obviously... lol)

Nothing wrong with how you collect if that's what makes you happy However your post didn't say you'd be willing to pay 3K for the Spidey comic you showed. Would YOU pay 3K (if you had it) for a modern?

Quote:

And while "Old Timers" are holding on to their ASM so they can make some retirement money. Im holding on to books like Wolverine #1 Deadpool Variant because i like the way it looks.

I'm an "Old Timer" holding onto my ASM, but not for retirement money (my retirement plans will cover that, I hope). I'm a comic collector, and collect them because I enjoyed them when I was younger.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despain
The artificial scarcity of modern variant covers 1:1000 etc is a bit annoying and gimmicky. But hey, if someone wants to lay down $3000 grand or more for it, go for it.

Agreed. If someone can afford that, more power to 'em, and a HUGE, MONSTEROUS congrats to the sellers. For me that type of collecting doesn't work. I'd much rather buy a $3000 "tried and tested" SA book that has slowly but steadily increased in value since the 60's than a $3000 modern that was worth $3.99-$4.99 last year.

I suppose there may be a couple exceptions, but 10 years from now which book would be easier to buy? I'd guess the SA book.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
I'd get any rare key silver i had and get them signed, unwitnessed if i had opportunity.

Incidentally, since you also enjoy raw signatures, are you a cover sig fan or do you prefer them inside?
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
I'd get any rare key silver i had and get them signed, unwitnessed if i had opportunity.

Incidentally, since you also enjoy raw signatures, are you a cover sig fan or do you prefer them inside?

Oh definitely on the cover. I like when they have fun with sig placement too.

Quote:

Nothing wrong with how you collect if that's what makes you happy However your post didn't say you'd be willing to pay 3K for the Spidey comic you showed. Would YOU pay 3K (if you had it) for a modern?

I wouldnt pay 3k for most books regardless of era. however... if a book i wanted was pricey... i wouldnt have any problem paying high amounts for modern books. im just as likely to spend 3k on a modern as i am a silver. (again.. im currently looking to get NM98 and thats gonna cost me 400+ even though its been crazy lately, im a huge Deadpool fan, and that book is one i really want)

Of course i grew up in the 80's 90's so my collection is almost 100% modern just because its what i grew up with. My first big collectible comic that got me into collecting was McFarlanes Spider-Man #1 when i was 8. (sure i had boxes and boxes of comics before that but treated as reading material for a kid)... but that spider-man #1 silver and black cover looked like the most expensive comic ever to an 8 year old so i treated it like it was lol. I grew up on copper and modern, so to me... those are what hold the most personal value.

(And Here is that book ive had since i was 8! Todd even signed it for me! He was impressed with how great the condition i kept it in as a kid lol)

Quote:

I'm an "Old Timer" holding onto my ASM, but not for retirement money (my retirement plans will cover that, I hope). I'm a comic collector, and collect them because I enjoyed them when I was younger.

Yeah this is the reason modern are more important to me than silver age.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
I'm a comic collector, and collect them because I enjoyed them when I was younger.

Quote:
Yeah this is the reason modern are more important to me than silver age.

The best reason to collect!
Post 42 IP   flag post
600656 42 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?