Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

Its worth HOW MUCH?!361

Collector Soma private msg quote post Address this user
So, going through my boxes i came across a few books which i had no clue were worth as much as they are.. i just thought they were common (or at the very least, an uncommon variant cover)

Most of these i paid either cover price, or at the most, 15-20$ and never looked at their price again until recently. (im a modern collector so sadly no old books here.)

Lets start with the most shocking for me...

X-23 #1 (Dell'Otto Variant)
Paid: $20 (my wife collects x-23 and has every pre-2014 book)
Worth: $1500+ for 9.8 (seriously what?! lol)

Wolverine #1 (J. Scott Campbell Deadpool Variant)
Less shocking but still crazy is how quickly this book shot up.
Paid: $100 raw (and got it SS CGC at a 9.6)
Worth: $3800+ (9.6-9.8)

What if Venom Possessed Deadpool
This one also actually shocked me, i picked it up for cover price when it came out because i like skottie young. Then saw the prices shoot up.
Paid: $3
Worth: $250-400+ (9.6-9.8)

Lady Mechanika #0 (NYCC Exclusive Variant)
I actually bought this at SDCC, but Lady Mechanika was brand new and not a lot of people paid attention to it.
Paid: $5
Worth: $500+ (9.8)

So how about you guys... come across any books in your collection you didnt realize were worth more?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
It seems crazy that the Dell'Otto variant sells for more than X-23's first appearance.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Kinzebac private msg quote post Address this user
@Soma people go crazy over Dell Otto. There is an entire thread over at CGC devoted to him
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
Twilight zone...makes zero sense!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector JazzyJeffie private msg quote post Address this user
Wow.. Do you buy multiple copies?
I've always hunted Bronze OR Silver Age comic books, but haven't really studied the Variants (which artist's cover to buy).
Post 5 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Prime examples of whats wrong with the comic industry
Post 6 IP   flag post
@earthshaker01 I mean that Wolverine #1 (J. Scott Campbell Deadpool Variant) in 9.8 sells for more than Incredible Hulk 180 in 9.8. That just blows my mind.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Is that Dell'Otto X-23 actually realizing that kind of value? I assume that for a slabbed copy? I never even considered that book would get up there in value even though that is one of the best X-23 covers. I paid $49 Canadian I think for mine.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder
Is that Dell'Otto X-23 actually realizing that kind of value? I assume that for a slabbed copy? I never even considered that book would get up there in value even though that is one of the best X-23 covers. I paid $49 Canadian I think for mine.

yup, a few sales over the past few weeks (9.8 blues, and 9.8 yellows) from $1200-1500... i was surprised.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Yeah I managed to find a few sales on eBay. Raw copies are around 600-700. I guess I know one book I will be sending very soon to CBCS. lol!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder
Yeah I managed to find a few sales on eBay. Raw copies are around 600-700. I guess I know one book I will be sending very soon to CBCS. lol!

yup, just told my wife how much it was(its technically hers lol)also, her first graded book ever was NYX #3, and i told her we should bring this one to get CBCS'd at SDCC (gotta check and see if dell'otto, Liu, Conrad or Rauch is gonna be there this year and get some signatures)

this will be a nice little addition to her (super valuable lol) X-23 collection.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
Prime examples of whats wrong with the comic industry

Well it is all the fault of the collector. If there is no support at the collector level then there would be nothing "wrong". Funny thing is that no one seems to have a problem of profiting off these "wrongs". If one has no issue with supply and demand and the resulting value increases it brings then they really should not have a problem with what others are willing to pay for comics be they 1 month or 70+ years old. This kind of thing has ALWAYS existed it just can happen faster and more pronounced in these days of the interwebs.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
I was going to toss these in the recycle bin two years ago when my brother told me to check prices on eBay.
I'm glad he was there to stop me.

I still think it's not worth what people are paying.
Deadpool is such a crap character.
Definitely an indicator of why our society is going into the crapper.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Now im looking more at my wifes collection... She had both Variants for X-23 #1

Both are worth quite a bit of money!
Its fun coming across books i had no idea were worth so much lol.

Gonna grade both at SDCC this year for sure.

The Djurdjevic Variant (the one on the right)
Worth: $200-400+ raw & $800-1000 9.8

Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Arikhan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Curmudgeon
I was going to toss these in the recycle bin two years ago when my brother told me to check prices on eBay.

I agree 100%. Late run New Mutants and X-Force books had huge print runs before they crashed the industry (along with X-Men). Sell this while its hot and never look back.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arikhan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Curmudgeon

I agree 100%. Late run New Mutants and X-Force books had huge print runs before they crashed the industry (along with X-Men). Sell this while its hot and never look back.

And yet.. as a huge deadpool fan myself.. this is actually a book ive been saving to buy. If anything... im mad because i could have bought tons of them for less than 50$ around 2011-2012 and am kicking myself for not getting it sooner (thinking it would never get to the prices its at since its such a common book lol.)

Personally i think books like Saga and The Walking Dead are worse than New Mutants in terms of resale and collectors versus flippers.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector John1122 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma

And yet.. as a huge deadpool fan myself.. this is actually a book ive been saving to buy. If anything... im mad because i could have bought tons of them for less than 50$ around 2011-2012 and am kicking myself for not getting it sooner (thinking it would never get to the prices its at since its such a common book lol.)

Personally i think books like Saga and The Walking Dead are worse than New Mutants in terms of resale and collectors versus flippers.

15 years ago 9.4+ copies occupied 3-5 dollar bins. I remember Earl Shaw at a con in Knoxville had two long boxes full of just this issue in 9.4+ for 5 bucks each around 1999. I thought that was too much to pay for them at the time.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Soma I sold one raw copy back in September for $275 on Facebook. And sold another copy last week on eBay for $275.

Still you might find one for a good deal. After The Walking Dead ends on AMC I wonder if the first issue will see a bit of decline in price.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@John1122 A fellow East Tennesseean?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1122
Quote:

15 years ago 9.4+ copies occupied 3-5 dollar bins. I remember Earl Shaw at a con in Knoxville had two long boxes full of just this issue in 9.4+ for 5 bucks each around 1999. I thought that was too much to pay for them at the time.

yeah lol.. it wasnt even on my radar back in the mid-late nineties... i liked deadpool... but i still wasnt a fan of Liefeld... it was after circle chase (joe madureira) and his solo books (by mcguinness) that i started getting into him.

My fear right now is buying raw and having it grade lower than 9.6... so ive been looking at graded copies only. My wife is begging me to get a Raw since its cheaper... but unless i can physically look at it personally (not ebay,trade forums) then i dont know if i want to chance it. I see tons of "NM!" on ebay that look more like VF+ NM-

I collect 9.6 and higher (not a stickler for 9.8 over 9.6... they are both great imo) but i draw the line at anything 9.4 or lower lol
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
WOW! Modern collecting is out-of-control...
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despain
@John1122 A fellow East Tennesseean?

Yes, I live north of Knoxville.
Post 22 IP   flag post
@John1122 Cool. I'm in Sevierville.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityG

I just think its fun when you go through your boxes and come across books you had no idea were worth so much lol.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despain
@John1122 Cool. I'm in Sevierville.

Excellent, been meaning to get down there and check out the comic shop the older fellow used to run there. I think it's open but under new owners.

I bought some 100 page giants and a couple of 80 pagers from him about 20 years ago that were really nice, 9.4+ on the 100 pagers.

I was out of collecting for a few years, the biggest surprise to me was probably finding out that Dreamwalker 0 had relevance. I bought it because I actually liked the series, knew Jenni and even had some letters in her letters page. All of a sudden (to me) the Goon is a thing and it's selling for 150+. Hoping with the new Goon movie news it heats even further.

Also been surprised at the number for former 1 dollar box issues are so expensive now. It's also almost impossible to find true NM comics in the wild from certain series in the 1980s due to 50 cent and dollar box destruction.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Sad, ain't it?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I just think its fun when you go through your boxes and come across books you had no idea were worth so much lol.

Agreed! Its great, especially what you've discovered in your collection! lol very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton
Quote:

Sad, ain't it?

A bit... it's crazy to see some of the prices for these new books raw or slabbed. I'm not here to discredit anything anyone has. All in all, we love the industry and it's really enjoying the spotlight these days.

Hypothetically, would you drop 3K on a modern age book signed by your favorite artist? or pick up a high grade key Silver Age book?

It's all subjective...
Post 27 IP   flag post
@John1122 The old guy died of a heart attack a few years ago. I believe that his widow still runs the shop. Not sure. I haven't been in there in years. Bill Langford, co-owner of Comics Exchange in South Knoxville told me about the old guy.

I lucked out a few years ago at a yard sale in Newport and bought Omega Men 3 and X Factor 5 for a dollar each. Not big scores, but not bad.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Hypothetically, would you drop 3K on a modern age book signed by your favorite artist?

Never. It's like a game of "Hot Potato" for adults.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:
Hypothetically, would you drop 3K on a modern age book signed by your favorite artist?

Never. It's like a game of "Hot Potato" for adults.

That doesnt make sense, you spend 3k for a favorite artist why does it matter what age the book is? unless youre in it for the money and not the collecting.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601378 42 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?