Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeMemorabiliaPop Culture

Your biggest Comic Score/Bargain?3556

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
So, the "Biggest Comic Failure/Regret" thread has gained a lot of traction. Let's look at the bright side for a bit.

What's your biggest score, or the best deal you've got on a major key?

I told this story in another thread, but: I picked up a raw Giant Size X-Men a couple years ago that was sold as a 3.0 for $85. Even at that grade, I knew that was a deal. It slabbed without a press, at 4.0.

My best deal, though, was a VF+ to NM copy of Mad Love & X-Men Annual 14 for $1.00 each at the local flea market.

Or, maybe the Spider-Man hat signed by Stan Lee (sadly, personalized "to Ken" for $5.

Compared to some of the stories you guys have, though, these are nothing.

Let's hear 'em!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Bought a Preacher 1, ungraded for $200, it was a nice looking copy. Got it graded and sold it for $666. 👹

Similar thing happened w/a WD19, which I think I sold for $800. I don't have any screen shots of that, though. Pics or it didn't happen.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector rickdod3 private msg quote post Address this user
I have a few that are pretty mind blowing. By far my biggest score was a Walking Dead #1 first print for $2.00. Purchased this in October 2015 at a local flea market...it was sitting under a pile of 3 other random books. Seller was a guy that had bought a bunch of stuff at an estate sale. I seen the logo peaking out at the bottom of the pile...pulled it out and sure enough it was a legit first print. I asked how much for the comics, he said $2.00 a piece...I couldnt get my money out quick enough. I sent it overnight mail to be pressed then straight to CBCS. Came back at a 9.4 :-)

My 2nd greatest score was pretty recently, earlier this spring I found this WWBN 32 at an antique store a couple hours away from my house. Was mixed in with some late 90s early 2000 xmen books in a big plastic tote. Found it at the bottom. It had a $60 price tag on it, but I talked the owner down to $20. Its around a 5.0 grade or so.

And finally, my most recent "biggest score" is this copy of Doom Patrol 99. First appearance of Beast Boy. Picked this up on facebook classifieds in a lot of 70 books. Paid $50 for the lot. Kept this book and sold the 69 others on eBay for $55. So essentially I got it for free and made $5 profit lol.

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector rtdcomics private msg quote post Address this user

paid 27p / 35 cents for this raw. Have since added to it but happy with the original score!
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not sure I'd call these great but a couple years ago I bought a nearly complete run of Preacher plus a lot of the specials for about $100. It included Preacher #1, though it came back a 5.0.

These aren't key books or even impressive grades but I bought the lot for less than $40 shipped

I bought this guy for about $60 raw a couple of years ago. A good $20 or so cheaper than it was selling at cons for at the time. I got the sigs for free except for Alex Ross, which wasn't cheap but not Stan Lee level. A copy at this grade with just the Ross signature sold for nearly $900 in the past year so I'd like to think this one could sell for a fair amount more

Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Ny85 private msg quote post Address this user
got this of a facebook seller for $175 and I'll be submitting it this year at NYCC I've seen it go at 9.4 9.8 grade for around $500 just with the Stan Lee signature alone
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny85
got this of a facebook seller for $175 and I'll be submitting it this year at NYCC I've seen it go at 9.4 9.8 grade for around $500 just with the Stan Lee signature alone

Post 7 IP   flag post
@Ny85 Just a heads up, that won't be cheap to get into a red label. You're looking at $18 for grading + $25 for the first signature + $15 + $15 for the other two so about $73 before shipping for grading. Otherwise, the signatures will be counted against the grade.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@Ny85 Just a heads up, that won't be cheap to get into a red label. You're looking at $18 for grading + $25 for the first signature + $15 + $15 for the other two so about $73 before shipping for grading. Otherwise, the signatures will be counted against the grade.
will a red label make the comic worth less the gold label?
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Ny85 Yellow labels are only an option if the actual signing of the book was witnessed by a CBCS authorized witness. If you bought it already signed, the yellow label is not an option.

You can pay for signature verification and get a red label or go for the standard blue label but the signatures will be treated as writing on the cover and the grade will take a hit
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Ny85 Yellow labels are only an option if the actual signing of the book was witnessed by a CBCS authorized witness. If tou bought it already signed, the yellow label is not an option. You can pay for signature verification and get a red label or go for the standard blue label but the signatures will be treated as writing on the cover and the grade will take a hit
I know I'll get a red label automatically my question was will a red label be worth less then a gold label
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Ny85 You don't get a red label automatically, you have choose to get the red label verification.

As for value, I think the yellow label is valued more but the red label is too new really get an idea of the value difference.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
So, the "Biggest Comic Failure/Regret" thread has gained a lot of traction. Let's look at the bright side for a bit.

What's your biggest score, or the best deal you've got on a major key?

I told this story in another thread, but: I picked up a raw Giant Size X-Men a couple years ago that was sold as a 3.0 for $85. Even at that grade, I knew that was a deal. It slabbed without a press, at 4.0.

My best deal, though, was a VF+ to NM copy of Mad Love & X-Men Annual 14 for $1.00 each at the local flea market.

Or, maybe the Spider-Man hat signed by Stan Lee (sadly, personalized "to Ken" for $5.

Compared to some of the stories you guys have, though, these are nothing.

Let's hear 'em!

That is ironic. The GS X-men#1 that I picked up last week they thought it was about a 3.o and I got it for $90. I think with a press, I will be hopefully around a 6. Only the left corner is soft and the spine has issues. I feel it will press out nicely.

Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Ny85 You don't get a red label automatically, you have choose to get the red label verification.

As for value, I think the yellow label is valued more but the red label is too new really get an idea of the value difference.
Quote:

@dielinfinite I definitely want to get it verified for sure, it's the value of the book with a red label that I'm curious about
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
This is an easy one.
Back in 1974, I bought AVENGERS 1 for $4.00 (it's being graded by CBCS as I type), AVENGERS 4 for $3.00, DARE DEVIL 1 for $8.00 and Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos 1 and 13 for $10.00.

I feel much better after typing "My regrets"!!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
I picked up two copies of Omega Men 3 for about $5.00 each. They've been signed by Keith Giffen and are on their way to CBCS.

They are easily NM+ and I am crossing fingers they'll both be 9.8s.

Although they're not on the same level of some of the books mentioned in this thread, I consider those two wins for my level of collecting.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
I bought this for $40.00 from Ed McGuinness when he was a starving artist in 1998. That is a 2 page splash fight between Deadpool and Taskmaster.

From the book...

Post 17 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
@rickdod3 On the Walking dead #1. F#@K you with all the envy I have lol what a damn good score.

My best score so far was a set of MARVELS 1-4 all signed by Alex Ross, got em for 4$
Post 18 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

but it's just the marvel milestone reprint edition? that entire book is worth $150 with signatures, and yes I'm factoring Stan's $120 sig fee
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
This is an easy one.
Back in 1974, I bought AVENGERS 1 for $4.00 (it's being graded by CBCS as I type), AVENGERS 4 for $3.00, DARE DEVIL 1 for $8.00 and Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos 1 and 13 for $10.00.

I feel much better after typing "My regrets"!!

I don't know whether to congratulate you or give you the finger. I'll go with congratulations...this time.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
That I am about to tell you does not happen often. At all.

So a few years ago....in 2012. Keep this in mind for sale prices I made then.

My LCS told me of a customer who was a huge collector but passed away. The estate sale didn't want to deal with everything and categorize it so they offered it to the LCS who didn't want to deal with either...so the LCS informs me and asks if I wanted it. I said sure...

a few days pass...

Estate sale runner calls me up and asks me to make an offer. They send me a spreadsheet consisting of over 3500 items of comics, statues, toys, boxes of sealed packages and original published art in tubes and glass frames.

I studied this list carefully. There was a giant size x-men, nyx 1-4, huge run of amazing spider-mans, punisher, wolverine mini and reg, usagi yojimno, lot of batman and paul gulacy art/comics/items, i could go on....the list was long and it was like a dream.

I offered them $1100. They accepted.

A few more days pass and 3 vans show up with boxes and boxes. Here's some photos:

i remember off hand most if not all of the 8 or 9 randy bowen signed and numbered limited edition boxed statues all sold for $300-$500 each, i sold the giant size x-men for $220 raw, i sold wolverine limited series 1-4 for $60, I kept all the spider-mans, batmans, supermans and sold all art, posters, statues, and toys. sold a marvel masterpiece legacy sealed spider-man for like $100, it was crazy! - think I made close to $18,000 in sales on ebay with my other account. then, ebay slaps all these limits on me like only $350 per month in sales or 30 items. pffft. i created this new account for selling my turtle toys and only offer free shipping and same day services and i can sell like $25,000 and 3,000 items per month now on an ebay with an account less than a year old. makes perfect sense! thanks, ebay!

So the remaining fluff and cover price comics I sold back to half priced books at $0.10 cents on the dollar, when in turn I did the maths I paid less than a dime per comic book so Half Price Books actually helped me completely recover all OOI on each comic not sold!

I found the excel spreadsheet!

how do i post that on here?
Post 21 IP   flag post
This thread is quickly becoming more depressing than the "Biggest Comic Failure/Regret" one.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Why?
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Why?

Jealousy
Post 24 IP   flag post
aw u guys are gonna hate me. i found the pics

i can't believe i sold that silver surfer 4 it had to have been an 8 or 9
Post 25 IP   flag post

Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yeh it's milestone reprint i've seen those go for $500-600 9.4 - 9.6

but it's just the marvel milestone reprint edition? that entire book is worth $150 with signatures, and yes I'm factoring Stan's $120 sig fee
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

@kaptainmyke
Post 27 IP   flag post

forgot i had some of these

man what was i thinking to sell these! arg
Post 28 IP   flag post
@Ny85 that's crazy i can't believe it!

i wonder what my book is worth? i paid $5 for it. I'm not kidding. paid $100 for stan to sign it in 2013

Post 29 IP   flag post
anyway that's really my only one time big "score". Haven't found anything even close to resembling that ever again.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601239 61 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?