Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector J_Walker private msg quote post Address this user
Bought this ASM 50 and trying to gauge the grade to see if it's worth slabbing. It was being sold as a 7.0 which is too high in my opinion. But could it be as low as somewhere in the 4.0-5.0 range? I read that a 1/4 inch piece missing from corner could drop a book to the VG range and that top right corner seems to be hanging on for dear life. Not to mention the spine stresses and creases. Anyways I'm hoping for a 6.0 or 6.5. Think that's possible?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I have a #24 graded 6.5 that is in much better shape than this book. I give it a 4.5 Slabbing it would at least preserve it from getting any worse or the corner from potentially breaking off.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector gman private msg quote post Address this user
kinda agree w the grade above...the lower staple area is a concern as well. Maybe a 5.0 on a good day.
Post 3 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
5.5 to 6.0
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector nikki666666 private msg quote post Address this user
@J_Walker the lower staple is the biggest concern.. looks like a touch of rust on it too..

Id say a 5.0 is prob most likely. From my discussion yesterday about a rip in a cover, you're starting point is prob a 6.5 dropping from there for each imperfection.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
5.0 to 5.5 I'd say
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Mr_adam_R private msg quote post Address this user
4.5 - 5.0
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I'd expect a 4.5 & be pleasantly surprised by a better grade. 👍🏼
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user

Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector ONLINE_209 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego

lol
Post 11 IP   flag post
Thanks all for the feedback. My grading skills are super weak when the defects start to pile up like this. I've been pretty spot on with the moderns I've submitted since I really only have to look at the spine and corners. Definitely more of a challenge with these older books. But still fun.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
You should totally pick up the Overstreet's guide to grading comics I love this book
Post 13 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman
kinda agree w the grade above...the lower staple area is a concern as well. Maybe a 5.0 on a good day.

I would say the same.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Gotta request a return on this one. Bottom staple is actually missing so cover is partially detached.

I knew bottom staple area looked weak but never thought it was missing. Especially considering seller gave the book a very specific 7.0 grade. Knew he was off on that grade but not this much.

Do you think pic of bottom staple area was clear that a staple was missing?
Post 15 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Ouch that's a shame. Send a message and tell them you want a return. Sorry hope it works out
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Walker
Gotta request a return on this one. Bottom staple is actually missing so cover is partially detached.

I knew bottom staple area looked weak but never thought it was missing. Especially considering seller gave the book a very specific 7.0 grade. Knew he was off on that grade but not this much.

It looked damaged but none of us (based on the comments above) suspected a missing staple.

Definitely qualifies for a return. They promised a 7.0. They shouldn't give you any trouble about returning it.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Quote:

It looked damaged but none of us (based on the comments above) suspected a missing staple.

Definitely qualifies for a return. They promised a 7.0. They shouldn't give you any trouble about returning it.
unless it specified no returns
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLINE_209
Quote:
Quote:

Shouldn't matter. Especially if it's e-Bay. If it's "not as described" e-bay will back the buyer 99 out of 100 times.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Shouldn't matter. Especially if it's e-Bay. If it's "not as described" e-bay will back the buyer 99 out of 100 times.
to me it depends on how it was worded if they said it is a guaranteed 7.0 or it could possibly be a 7.0 i am almost betting they did not guarantee it would grade as a 7.0 but then i could be wrong would help to see the actual listing for it and i am not trying to argue or come off as an a**hole im just saying it comes down to the actual listing itself
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

by the way i apologize to you like i said i wasn't trying to be rude in any way shape or form to you
Post 21 IP   flag post
True. Wording is important & no offense taken.

The thing is, a missing staple is a huge problem. That's the sort of flaw that absolutely should be noted. If not, it is safe to assume the staples are intact. As such, a seller with any integrity would accept a return in this instance.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
True. Wording is important & no offense taken.

The thing is, a missing staple is a huge problem. That's the sort of flaw that absolutely should be noted. If not, it is safe to assume the staples are intact. As such, a seller with any integrity would accept a return in this instance.
and i agree with you a missing staple is a big issue and should have been listed
Post 23 IP   flag post
The sellers description said no returns about 10 different times. No joke. I should've taken that as a red flag...
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
The sellers description said no returns about 10 different times. No joke. I should've taken that as a red flag...

Absolutely request one & then escalate the case with e-bay if necessary.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
well i hope you do get your refund or a replacement
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
If eBay sides with the buyer, do you have to send the book back to get the refunded? Do they take the money from the sellers account as well? I've never had to go this route. Had good success returning items.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
you send the book back and you get your money (provided ebay rules in your favor)
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
If eBay sides with the buyer, do you have to send the book back to get the refunded? Do they take the money from the sellers account as well? I've never had to go this route. Had good success returning items.

He will have to return it, the money is frozen in the seller's account once the complaint is filed. Then, e-bay asks the seller to refund the money once the return is received.

The problem here is the likelihood of negative feedback. Hopefully it's resolved before escalating to this point.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I reached out to him asking for a return even though he clearly mentioned no returns. He writes back asking if I'd be willing to accept the book for $100 and refund me the rest.

I agreed to this, but he's saying I need to cancel the return request I opened through e-Bay because initiating that request put a hold on the funds. So he says he needs me to cancel it in order to refund me the difference...

This is the first time I've opened a return request ticket through e-Bay and when I go to close it, it says "are you sure? After you close a return, you can't return the item or ask us to step in and help if there's a problem."

Guess I need to reach out to e-Bay to explain what's going on and ask them for guidance. Can't risk closing the ticket and never getting my refund.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600892 32 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?