Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Are CBCS cases generally loose on the sides?3440

Collector BrandonTheYG private msg quote post Address this user
Back in April I got back two books from them and just yesterday I decided to inspect the cases just a bit more. On both(!) books the sides are completely loose (I am able to open it up a couple centimeters). The top and bottom tabs are in tact but are a bit loose (not as much as the sides). Is this something that generally happens with CBCS cases? Also, are the grades on these books now void?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, that is normal. A completely sealed case (like the new CGC case) is bad because it doesn't allow the comic to breathe, acidic gases will build up.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Yes, that is normal. A completely sealed case (like the new CGC case) is bad because it doesn't allow the comic to breathe, acidic gases will build up.

It is not like the CGC cases are air tight so not sure I agree with this. Not trying to be Mr. Contrarian, I like the CGC cases sans the rainbow effect. 🌈
Post 3 IP   flag post
@dpiercy have you seen the new CGC cases? They are sealed on all four sides, not like the old CGC cases that were more similar to CBCS.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
@dpiercy have you seen the new CGC cases? They are sealed on all four sides, not like the old CGC cases that were more similar to CBCS.

Yah, I have a few. They aren't waterproof, so that leads one to believe air and other gasses can flow through freely.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@dpiercy ok, I need to see the water test.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
@dpiercy ok, I need to see the water test.

Someone did one, Ditch, who did the creep engine videos, I think.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
CGC case before and after submerged in water. Not a good idea. 😣

Post 8 IP   flag post
@KingNampa that is an old case though.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Same design as the current cbcs case. So you can assume the same result if you submerge a cbcs case. The new cgc cases aren't glued completely there are several open spots along the edge.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@BrandonTheYG I am surprised you mentioned centimeters. Normally that comes from our friends in England.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I need to see a new CGC case dunked in water...just for the lawls.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@BrianGreensnips yeah I can open it up on two books a couple centimeters. I actually found another person who dealt with this issue as well. I've added a link to his book (mine doesn't open as much as his) https://imgur.com/a/wP6Jm
Post 13 IP   flag post
I'm mainly concerned on whether or not the grades are void now.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa

Why would you do that to an old book and not a dime a dozen modern?
Post 15 IP   flag post
@BrandonTheYG It's normal, CBCS does not seal the sides. As long as the top and bottom clips are intact the case will not open and the grade will be valid. If it helps I can link to a video of a slab being opened.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Grayspeedster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by D84
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa

Why would you do that to an old book and not a dime a dozen modern?

I like what he did.

OP can you do this with a copy of Amazing Fantasy #15? I've heard the results can vary so I'd really like to see you test it on a book we will recognize
Post 17 IP   flag post
@DarthLego okay, thanks for the heads up. I'm new to slabbing books so i didnt know if this was a rare situation. I'd also appreciate it if could you send the link to that video as well!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Post 19 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Generation 1 CGC cases (used the first 16 years CGC was in business), CBCS cases and if anyone cares PGX cases all flex open slightly along the sides. CGC Gen 1 and PGX cases are ony attached at the corners via posts. CBCS uses clips near the corners.

The result is the same. The sides can slight flex open. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. More in a minute on that.

CGC's new Generation 2 case is sealed shut all along the edges. It feels nice and rigid in hand. In some ways if feels more "quality" just like leather interiors in cars looks better than fabric.

But leather can be harder to clean and get scalding hot in the sun. And CGC's super rigid, sealed up slab has issues as well.

The biggest is the prism effect (also called Newton rings) The "oil on water" optical distortion where the two plastics - inner and outer holder - touch each other. With slabs that flex open at the sides there is the well known trick of slipping a piece of paper in through the (flexed open) sides pushing the plastics apart. BOOM. No more Newton rings.

CGC's Gen 2 slab is sealed up. If you have Newton Rings, they are there in all their glorious ugliness for life.

The slight flexing is normal. Here is a couple of pictures I use to illustrate it when people would ask "did I get a defective slab?"

Post 20 IP   flag post
600653 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?