Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
After reading the LCS flooding nightmare thread, I realized I'm not being very smart. I have thousands of comic books that I am currently sorting through at a casual pace. Many of these comics are in boxes on the floor. They are away from water sources sources but one busted pipe while I'm not at home would make that a moot point. I did some Google research and there are tons of ideas out there. Of course I would love the "perfect" system for my needs.

Looks are not important as it will be placed in a back bedroom out of sight. This is not for comic books that will end up in my final personal collection, I'll come up with that idea when I get to that point. This will be for comics that I will sell/trade away. Basically I'm looking for a storage rack idea that can hold short boxes, as many as possible in the smallest possible footprint. Of course I would also like to spend as little as possible for this system but am aware that solid quality costs a little more and I can sell it when I've accomplished my goals.

So any ideas for the home comic book cook would be greatly appreciated.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
If you are worried about flooding on the floor just get something that raises everything off the floor a good foot or so.

If you're worried about leaking from above put a tarp or heavy plastic sheet over the top of the shelf/pile so any water falling from above can't get the n the boxes.

Or build a waterproof, underground, nuclear hardened lead lined bunker in the Norwegian mountains only accessable by snow crawlers or helicopter and guarded by a dedicated militia of Sherpas and Hottentot warriors.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector ONLINE_209 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuaBrot
If you are worried about flooding on the floor just get something that raises everything off the floor a good foot or so.

If you're worried about leaking from above put a tarp or heavy plastic sheet over the top of the shelf/pile so any water falling from above can't get the n the boxes.

Or build a waterproof, underground, nuclear hardened lead lined bunker in the Norwegian mountains only accessable by snow crawlers or helicopter and guarded by a dedicated militia of Sherpas and Hottentot warriors.
OMG i am dying at "Or build a waterproof, underground, nuclear hardened lead lined bunker in the Norwegian mountains only accessable by snow crawlers or helicopter and guarded by a dedicated militia of Sherpas and Hottentot warriors." thanks for the much needed laugh
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector vacaboca private msg quote post Address this user
I'm extremely happy with what I've done for my collection... I found just about maximum density and utility using standard wire shelving available at home improvement stores.

18" x 48" x 74" high wire shelves easily store five short boxes per shelf on five shelves... the trick is to add shelf liners with nice grade plywood. I believe what I use is 3/16" pre-sanded plywood, cut to sit within each shelf. I cut the corners off to fit within the outer poles, and the thickness of the plywood lifts the boxes right above the "lip" of each wire shelf... extremely easy to get the boxes on and off the shelves, with just enough room around each box to not be a squeeze. There's enough room for larger short boxes (magazine or golden age), though if they were all larger you might not be able to do 5 per shelf.

I get 25 short boxes per unit, and am just about to add my 4th unit. It looks nice, it's up off the floor, and is extremely easy to use.

Here's a picture of a couple of my shelves:

Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Jaydknight private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Ok, this is unacceptable! Which one of my Sherpas leaked my secret plan?
Post 6 IP   flag post
@vacaboca those are exactly what I need.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacaboca
I'm extremely happy with what I've done for my collection... I found just about maximum density and utility using standard wire shelving available at home improvement stores.

18" x 48" x 74" high wire shelves easily store five short boxes per shelf on five shelves... the trick is to add shelf liners with nice grade plywood. I believe what I use is 3/16" pre-sanded plywood, cut to sit within each shelf. I cut the corners off to fit within the outer poles, and the thickness of the plywood lifts the boxes right above the "lip" of each wire shelf... extremely easy to get the boxes on and off the shelves, with just enough room around each box to not be a squeeze. There's enough room for larger short boxes (magazine or golden age), though if they were all larger you might not be able to do 5 per shelf. where can i get these exact shelves id love to use them as well thanks ahead of time for your time

I get 25 short boxes per unit, and am just about to add my 4th unit. It looks nice, it's up off the floor, and is extremely easy to use.

Post 8 IP   flag post
@ONLINE_209 quoted for greatness?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:

18" x 48" x 74" high wire shelves easily store five short boxes per shelf on five shelves... the trick is to add shelf liners with nice grade plywood. I believe what I use is 3/16" pre-sanded plywood, cut to sit within each shelf. I cut the corners off to fit within the outer poles, and the thickness of the plywood lifts the boxes right above the "lip" of each wire shelf... extremely easy to get the boxes on and off the shelves, with just enough room around each box to not be a squeeze. There's enough room for larger short boxes (magazine or golden age), though if they were all larger you might not be able to do 5 per shelf.

Absolutely love it. Thanks!!!!! Plus saves me from building the underground nuclear bunker....😎
Post 10 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Concrete blocks and 2"x6" boards. I use them for storage of long boxes but they would work for shot boxes by putting the "racks" closer together.

Cheap, sturdy and easily expanded. If you sort through/sell all the books later and don't need the racks anymore, you can always find uses for concrete blocks and lumber.

If concerned about water on the floor just don't put any books on the floor. Start on the first shelf.

Post 11 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Store Rack?
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
Jesus, and my wife thinks my 9 short boxes is a lot, goddamn those are some big collections
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
Absolutely love it. Thanks!!!!! Plus saves me from building the underground nuclear bunker....😎

These are actually *in* my bunker!

One note - with the height, you REALLY want to anchor these to the wall.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@vacaboca You have a really nice, organized set up.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@IronMan

My cousin has a large batch of cinder blocks, cost wise this would work. Looks like a bit more labor involved and I am a "path of least resistance" personality type. Thanks for an alt plan. Home depot here I come....
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Someone once suggested file cabinets (was it CF?), seemed like a great idea what with the back springs in the drawers and all. Expensive though 😬

I like the cinderblock idea as well, cheap fast and plenty effective 👌🏻
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
@vacaboca You have a really nice, organized set up.

Thanks! It's some work to get it to that point and to keep it there, but it has paid off... using the business card holders on the front to label them and keeping everything logged in software means I know where everything is, and can easily insert a box where needed as I add more issues to runs or sub-collections without screwing anything up.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@vacaboca what software do you use to track what book is in what box?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego

I use Collectorz.com Comic Collector... I use the Location field to track what "family" of boxes the book is in... not the specific box. The Locations I use (which match the labels on the boxes) are Batman, Detective Comics, DC Comics, etc... so when I have to hunt down a comic, I do have to look through a few boxes to find the right alphabetical/numerical range. I haven't bothered to label the boxes themselves to that degree since things change a lot as I add and sort new books, and it doesn't take long to find stuff.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I'd like to find some software where I can make a barcode for each shortbox and then scan each book into that box like an inventory location.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego

I use Collectorz.com Comic Collector... I use the Location field to track what "family" of boxes the book is in... not the specific box. The Locations I use (which match the labels on the boxes) are Batman, Detective Comics, DC Comics, etc... so when I have to hunt down a comic, I do have to look through a few boxes to find the right alphabetical/numerical range. I haven't bothered to label the boxes themselves to that degree since things change a lot as I add and sort new books, and it doesn't take long to find stuff.
how hard is it to figure out and use the software
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLINE_209

I think that probably varies widely... I found it pretty straightforward, and have been using it for a few years now. It's a vital daily tool for me, and also syncs well to apps on my phone and iPad, so I always have my collection and want list info accurately with me.

There a recent thread with a lot of tips about it, but you can use it pretty simply to track your collection.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLINE_209

I think that probably varies widely... I found it pretty straightforward, and have been using it for a few years now. It's a vital daily tool for me, and also syncs well to apps on my phone and iPad, so I always have my collection and want list info accurately with me.

There a recent thread with a lot of tips about it, but you can use it pretty simply to track your collection.
thanks for the reply i am seriously thinking about using it
Post 24 IP   flag post
598070 24 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?