Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help NeededQuestions

So annoyed with myself!3421

Collector Mickee92 private msg quote post Address this user
So I bought the fantastic four #119 which was graded at a 9.2 and when I received it the comic looked in brilliant condition possible more than a 9.2! I noticed it was in the sleeve at an angel which was annoying me so I carefully took it out to place it in again the right way and only gone and tore a clean 1cm length rip about a cm away from the spine through the cover and 1st page!! Cant tell where it is at first glance but to a professional eye it's blatantly there. So is my 9.2 now a 5.0? What are my options.. get it repaired? Or move on and find another and sell this one at a lower price?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Ya it sucks man. I did the same thing with a Daredevil #1. I tore half the friggen cover off when it got caught on tape from the comic bag it was in. After that I only used self-sealing comic bags. Nothing you can do about it really. Restoration would cost more than the value.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I've only just started collecting so Im too eager when it comes to handling them I need to just take my time! Its a good job it wasn't a fantastic four #52 black panther first appearance instead otherwise my missus would have seen a grown man cry!
Post 3 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Buy another one. Anything else would cost more than the book is worth.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
This is why i stopped using 2mm mylar. Friggin razor blades, man. Soft poly for me now, Im too clumsy. Sorry to hear :/
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Dang ol' razor blades man, zip zip, dang 9.8 to 5.0 man just like that.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector keefriffhards private msg quote post Address this user
That is an awful story... but in the naked city there are a 1000 awful stories.. we have all had that happen.. normally we stand frozen with our mouths hanging open... do you have comics insurance? I have 5K insurance for $55 a year... so sorry.. wow.
Post 7 IP   flag post
This is worse than when I flushed my only retainer down the toilet in Africa...and I knew it 1/2 second after accidentally doing it
Post 8 IP   flag post
Didn't think about comic insurance, still getting to grips with just buying comics that I believe are a good investment e.g fute comic movies, first appearances. Got a few so far got about 8 more to go on my list and I'll then obviously make another list as you do.
Bottom line of my situation... take your bloody time with handling the comics!!
Post 9 IP   flag post
I agree... take your time assembling what makes you happy!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I tried to lightly erase what I thought was a light pencil mark on a 9.2 or better Star Wars 68..0nly to take the ink off instead...now I have a white line with the pencil mark...only comic I ever ruined doing something I know I should have left to a professional.
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
For that book, even if he had collection insurance, the value would not be worth making a claim.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I once scratched a piece of artwork covered in encaustic wax... so I got a hair dryer and thought I could melt the remaining wax into a like new smooth finish and make everything bad go away... scratches should be left alone...
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector verbogyrater private msg quote post Address this user
I feel for you man. That sucks.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector harmonicaman private msg quote post Address this user
I have messed up about 3 comics with careless handling with tape pulls before I finally learned my lesson. Now I make sure the tape is completely off of the bag, in the wastebasket before I remove the comic. I was an idiot, each time it happened I told myself I would be more careful from then on. And then a year or so later, oops.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
I take the tape off completely before removing comics from their bag, too many horror stories of tape grabbing the comic to risk it.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector harmonicaman private msg quote post Address this user
yep
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector verbogyrater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by keefriffhards
I have 5K insurance for $55 a year... so sorry.. wow.

Are you serious? How do you prove insurability and who is the coverage from?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector HOGLEG private msg quote post Address this user
Tape pulls are the worst....you can only blame yourself
Post 19 IP   flag post
The insurance is from Collectibles insurance service (on the Metropolis Comics Site).. it was $66 and covers up to $5000... I guess you have to file a report or something, but mainly it covers loss in the mail (but you have to put signature required, and it only covers Fedex signature required... if you ship USPS or UPS it only covers up to half the value). Hey, I sleep at night...
Post 20 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
This is why i stopped using 2mm mylar. Friggin razor blades, man. Soft poly for me now, Im too clumsy. Sorry to hear :/

Yes, I have damaged a few books with this stiff mylar with a flap. I quit using it and cut it open it to make it easier to remove a book if I receive it that way.
Post 21 IP   flag post
600701 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?