Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Captain America Run(The Long & Winding Road)3415

I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
@BigRedOne1944 What grades are you looking for on the missing books?

#180 (9.0 or better) I could have landed this book many times. The main reason I have not is because I feel it is a grossly over priced book. I never did accept Steve Roger's little stint as Noamad the KEY issue sellers are trying to label it as. I'll most certainly be patience on this book as I feel it will eventually drop from it's over hyped status.

#186 (9.0 or better) I love the Gil Kane Cover, I would consider a Strong 8.5 if it had the right eye appeal.

#290, #292, #310 (9.4 NM) Once I get into the Eighties and beyond books, Im looking for High Grade NM books or better. Ive actually purchased all three of these books once before, but unfortunately they were Ebay overgrades and I sent them back to the seller.

I would surely be interested in these issues if anybody has a line on them. I can't promise to buy any of them if I don't feel they have the right eye appeal to suit my needs, But Im willing to look.

Thanks for stopping by!
John

PS: Im not interested in ANY books that do not have perfect centered covers.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Captain America #139

Cover by John Romita. "The Badge and the Betrayal," script by Stan Lee, pencils by John Romita, inks by John Romita and Tony Mortellaro; The Police Commissioner tells Cap about the mysterious disappearances of seven patrolmen and other city officials and asks him to go undercover as a rookie cop and be bait for the killer; Cap agrees, hoping this will allow him to start a normal life as a cop as Steve Rogers; While testing his new grappling tool the Hawk-Hook, Falcon is grabbed by a force beam and pulled into SHIELDs heli-cruiser; Nick Fury asks Falcon happened to Captain America; Steve begins as a rookie police officer under the tough Sergeant Muldoon, who reminds him of his World War II Army Sergeant Duffy; While patrolling as Captain America, Steve goes to a stonecutters storage yard and finds statues made of missing policemen; The Grey Gargoyle is responsible. Brief appearance by Sharon Carter

While I always prefer the Epic Battle covers, John Romita's cover here Portrays the story beautifully. Stan Lee spins a beautifully crafted 4-part Grey Gargoyle storyline that flows perfectly. The book itself was purchased from Metropolis Comics. It is certainly a beautiful book that is well within my required grade range. I felt it was more likely a 9.0 than the 9.2 Grade Metropolis Comics graded it at.

Captain America #140

Cover by John Romita. Grey Gargoyle origin is retold in "In the Grip of the Gargoyle!", script by Stan Lee, pencils by John Romita, inks by George Roussos; Captain America traces the missing policemen to a graveyard and with the Falcon's help barely escapes the Gargoyle's stone touch; Falcon then follows the Gargoyle to the villain's headquarters while Cap meets with Nick Fury and Sharon Carter in SHIELD's helicarrier. Thor and Iron Man cameos

This Time Romita does turn in an all out battle cover, as Stan Lee's Grey Gargoyle storyline continues. Yet another book I had to resort to cracking out of a GCG slab. The CGC book was super strong and Every bit the 8.5

Captain America #141

Cover by John Romita. "The Unholy Alliance!", script by Stan Lee, pencils by John Romita, inks by Joe Sinnott; Using the Falcon as his stone slave, The Gargoyle tricks SHIELD into taking him--via the helicarrier - to SHIELD's mountain fortress where Element X is stored; This planet-destroying compound has only one weakness--stone. Guest starring Nick Fury and Sharon Carter

Wow! Just look at that John Romita Sr Cover! It absolutely doesn't getting any better than that for a comic book fan, and to have it teamed up with the Epic Stan Lee Grey Gargoyle storyline is absolute comic book Gold! I will admit I have scored a lot of overgraded junk on Ebay, But this book was certainly NOT one of them! A beautiful high grade book that I was OVERJOYED to add to the run!

Captain America #142

Cover by John Romita. "And In the End," script by Gary Friedrich, pencils by John Romita, inks by Joe Sinnott; Captain America and the Falcon wait for the Grey Gargoyles petrifying touch to wear off of Nick Fury and Sharon Carter; Cap and the Falcon make their way into the Grey Gargoyles lab, battling his security forces to get to Element X; The Gargoyle grabs the deadly element and turns it to stone to further protect it; Cap and the Falcon battle the Grey Gargoyle; Fury and Carter launch the rocket containing the element into orbit around the Earth, ending the threat of Element X and the Grey Gargoyle

Romita does it again! Once again showing the Epic struggle Cap faces! And that's just the Cover! Stan Lee's masterful Grey Gargoyle storyline concludes with an all out battle for Element X. Its no small wonder why these guys(Lee, Romita) are comic book royalty. There are many legendary Cap storylines in his illustrious career. I highly recommend this to be one well worth the read. I think it is kind of ironic that the cover included the "Still 15c" blurb, as this was actually the Last .15c Cover price book. I guess all good thing come to and End
Post 27 IP   flag post
Captain America #143

52-page giant. The Red Skull returns in "Power To the People!" Script by Gary Friedrich, art by John Romita Sr. Grey Gargoyle cameo

An "in your face" cover from John Romita sr. I really love the deep purple and bold colors on it. This 52 page giant and the next few Issues went with different style lettering on the main "Captain America" Title lettering. Im glad this didn't last but a few issues, as I always preferred the Red,White and Blue style much better. These 52-page giant size books are always very tough to find with nice straight spines. Not a hugh key book, but as soon as I seen that straight spine I had to have the book.

Captain America #144

First 20-cent issue. Richard Nixon and Spiro Agnew make appearances in "HYDRA Over All!" Script by Gary Friedrich, art by John Romita Sr. Guest starring Nick Fury and Sharon Carter. The Falcon gets a new costume in the back-up story, "The Falcon Fights Alone!" Script by Friedrich, art by Gray Morrow (with significant touch-ups by Romita; talk about a clash of styles...!). Romita cover.

It seems Stan the Man has handed over the writing reins to Gary Friedrich. While I will sorely miss Stan's classic writing style, Friedrich does do an admiral job. Following a Marvel Legend is not an easy task. The Falcon gets his New costume this issue. The book is getting kind of pricey in high grade. Luckily I was able to snag a Nice one for my run.

Captain America #145

Cover art by John Romita. "Skyjacked!", script by Gary Friedrich, pencils by Gil Kane (pages 1-14) and John Romita (pages 15-21), inks by John Romita; It's the most cataclysmic climax of all when Cap and the Femme Force face off with HYDRA aboard a plane!; But will they prevail over the forces of evil?; Or will Steve Rogers lose the love of his life?; Find out in this shocking issue!

Romita continues to carry the title with another fantastic cover, although I still don't like the "Captain America" Lettering with the yellow backdrop on the cover. While I felt the book was a Solid 9.0, I docked it a bit for the slight off centered cover.

Captain America #146

Cover art by John Romita. "Mission: Destroy the Femme Force!" starring Captain America, Hydra; SHIELD, Kingpin (in shadows), Falcon, Redwing, and Red Skull (in film footage), script by Gary Friedrich, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by John Verpoorten; Hydra kidnaps Sharon Carter from the hospital to force Captain America to become their prisoner; Will the Star Spangled Avenger finally put an end to HYDRA?; Or will anger consume him in his pursuit for revenge?; Plus, find out who's been pulling the strings all along!

Romita FINALLY answers my prayers by returning to the Red,White & Blue Captain America Lettering on the cover, and what a splendid cover it is! The cover alone is worth the price of admission! Sal Buscema's interior art flows beautifully as usual and let's give credit where credit is do, Gary Friedrich scripts a fantastic story.
Post 28 IP   flag post
My Captain America Run has now entered the year 1972

Economy

President: Richard M. Nixon
Vice President: Spiro T. Agnew

Population: 207,660,677
Life expectancy: 71.1 years

Dow-Jones
High: 950
Low: 790

Federal spending: $210.17 billion
Federal debt: $408.2 billion
Inflation: 5.7%
Consumer Price Index: 40.5
Unemployment: 4.9%

Prices

Cost of a new home: $28,300.00
Cost of a new car: $
Median Household Income: $9,028.00
Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.06 ($0.08 as of 5/16/71)
Cost of a gallon of regular gas: $0.36
Cost of a dozen eggs: $0.53
Cost of a gallon of Milk: $1.18

Captain America #147

Cover pencils by Gil Kane, inks by Joe Sinnott. "And Behold the Hordes of HYDRA," script by Gary Friedrich, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by John Verpoorten; While Cap and the SHIELD Femme Force battle to destroy the forces of Hydra in an underground fortress near Las Vegas, a sinister figure watches the melee and prepares to press the button which will destroy the combatants on both sides;The identity of the Supreme Hydra is revealed, along with the identity of the true power behind Hydra

Gary Friedrich storyline continues to hold us in suspense, while Sal Buscema continues to grace the book with more of his beautiful art. So what's new? The issue is sporting a Beautiful cover by one of the all-time greats (and one of my favorites) the one and only Gil Kane. Joe Sinnott's inks are the added bonus that brings it all together.

The Black cover make's it a very tough find in the higher grades. Even the smallest hint of a miswrap really sticks out and ruins the book for me. I managed to track down this beauty which I think is most likely an 8.5 VFN+, but with the black cover I stayed a bit conservative with the 8.0 on it. Either way its a beautiful book that I feel lucky to have found.

Captain America #148

Cover art by John Romita. "The Big Sleep," script by Gary Friedrich, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by John Romita (uncredited); Battling the Kingpin in the Las Vegas suite of mysterious industrialist Harold Howard, the Red, White, and Blue Avengers and the Fighting Falcon are suddenly stunned by the sight of the Red Skull, who activates the Fifth Sleeper and attacks Las Vegas

KingPin! RedSkull! Vegas! and a classic John Romita Cover! Beautiful Sal Buscema Interior! Who could ask for anything more in a Comic book! Look at the Deep Rich color on that cover! 8.0 VFN? Im going to have to pull the book and check it out again.

Captain America #149

Cover pencils by Gil Kane, inks by Frank Giacoia. "All the Colors of Evil," script by Gerry Conway, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Jim Mooney; Teenagers are disappearing and Captain America and the Falcon track down Batroc and his Brigade

Hot Damn! Another Masterpiece cover from Gil Kane! This time Frank Giacoia does the pleasure of inking it. Batroc has always been a favorite Cap villain of mine. Another SUPER tough black cover!

Captain America #150

Cover pencils by Gil Kane, inks by John Romita. "Mirror, Mirror," script by Gerry Conway, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by John Verpoorten and Tony Mortellaro; Captain America, Falcon and Batroc stop Jakar from trying to use the souls of the people he kidnapped to reanimate his race; Cameos by the Thing, the Human Torch, Reed Richards, and the Scorpion

Well, We've reached the landmark #150! Gil Kane once again seals the deal with his cover work. Veteran writer Gerry Conway scripts continues to script a nice Batroc Story. With a litle luck and some help along the way, I have pretty much been able to keep with my 8.0 VFN grade minimum up to now.

From this point on, Im going to try and up grade minimum to 9.0 or better. Wish me Luck! My wallet is about to take a pounding!

Captain America #151

Cap and the Falcon battle Mr. Hyde and the Scorpion in "Panic On Park Avenue." Script by Gerry Conway, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Vince Colletta. Cameos by Daredevil, the Black Widow, Iron Man, and the Owl. Brief appearances by Nick Fury and Sharon Carter. Buscema cover

Well, trying to keep with my new goal of 9.0 or better books I promptly cracked out this CGC book. With the Scorpion appearance and Sal Buscema giving us the full Monty inside and out, this book seemed to be getting kind of pricy. The tough black cover doesn't make it an easy find either. It is a gorgeous book. The CGC grade is accurate, but now that Im looking at it, I should go back and change the grade to 9.2 NM- for that slight mis-wrap by the top.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector NilesPaine private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944
!!!!! Absolute money. Now this is what its all about. I am a huge Kirby fan and some of those earlier issues, specfically 107 is just perfection. Guy could tell a whole story on a cover. Good on you for holding yourself firm to higher grades. Its not cheap or easy, but worth it long run. This is a proud collection and best of luck in attaining those last few.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944, great books and fantastic writeup. 115 is one of my favorite covers, but there are many great cap covers.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Thanks for stopping by and the comments guys!

We will be getting to more Jack Kirby's Run on the title soon!
Post 32 IP   flag post
Continuing with the year 1972

Captain America #152

Cover pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Vince Colletta. "Terror in the Night," script by Gerry Conway, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Frank Giacoia; Cap and the Falcon try to save Sharon from the clutches of Mr. Hyde and the Scorpion; Appearances by Nick Fury and Sharon Carter; Cameos by Spider-Man and J. Jonah Jameson; Debut of The Harlem Crime boss Morgan; Morgan has taken over the crime territory of Stone-Face, who Captain America, the Falcon, and Spider-Man had defeated in Captain America 138. editorial explaining "The Story Behind The Cover.

Sal Buscema turns in another outstanding effort with beautiful inks by Frank Giacoia. I broke one of my cardinal rules buying this book online with a crapping photo. Seller was touting the book as a 9.4 NM, so I took a chance on it, as the price was reasonable. I was quite surprised at the quality of the book. I don't dispute the book can likely pull a 9.4 NM, but Im pretty critical on grading and put the book at a Very solid 9.2 NM-. Either way it's a book I was extremely happy to add to my Cap run!

Captain America #153

Cover pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Frank Giacoia. First appearance (cameo) of Jack Monroe (Nomad) in "Captain America--Hero or Hoax?", script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Jim Mooney; Cap and Nick come to blows when Fury is feeling his age and he thinks Cap has made a play for Val. Sharon quits SHIELD and she and Steve leave for an overdue vacation; Falcon patrols the streets when he finds Captain America bullying men based on their skin color; As Cap and Falcon fight, Bucky clubs Falcon from behind; Appearances by Nick Fury and Sharon Carter

This book is widely known for the First Appearance of Jack Monroe(Nomad), which is cool and all, but more important to me is the fact the issue is the start of Steve Englehart's writing run on the title.
More Sal Buscema magic graces the book and its another very tough black cover. The book is pretty nice and with in my grade tolerance. I know it pulls a 8.5, maybe 9.0 with any grading company. I docked the book for the slight miswrap on the bottom of the cover. I Know, I Know! The so called "Professionals" don't dock the book for the miswrap, But I do.

Captain America #154

Cover pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Frank Giacoia. "The Falcon Fights Alone," script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by John Verpoorten and Tony Mortellaro; The phony Captain America and Bucky kidnap the Falcon and torture him to learn the whereabouts of the real Captain America. Falcon is aided in escaping the two with the help of Rafe, Leila, and several other people Falcon has helped over time; Falcon then journeys to Avengers Mansion to let the Avengers know of the phony Cap, only to find out he's been monitoring them and learns where Steve and Sharon are vacationing

Wow! If Sal Buscema's Cover doesn't embody everything a Captain America Comic should be, I don't know what does! The book definitely has to be in consideration as one of the best Cap covers of all-time to me! Plus the fact that it is the first full appearance of Jack Monroe(Nomad) A super Key Cap book to me and one I knew I would need to have in high grade. While I have cracked out many books for the run, this one remains slabbed which obviously now makes it a pure commodity rather than a comic book that can be read and enjoyed, that being the biggest down fall of Graded books. I'll have to pick up a reader copy.

Captain America #155

Cover pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Jim Mooney. "The Incredible Origin of the Other Captain America," script by Steve Englehart and Stan Lee (page 13, panels 3-5; pages 14 and 16), pencils by Sal Buscema and John Romita (page 13, panels 3-5; pages 14 and 16), inks by Frank McLaughlin and John Romita (page 13, panels 3-5; pages 14 and 16); After defeating Steve, Falcon and Sharon through deceit and brute strength, the phony Captain America reveals his and Bucky's secret origin to the captive trio. Marvel Bullpen Bulletins; Stan Lee's Soapbox. Red Skull cameo. Partial reprint from Young Men 24 by Stan Lee and John Romita Sr.

Just when you thought it couldn't possibly get any better than last issue Englehart and Buscema proves that it indeed can! Just another truly outstanding cover by Sal! Another super tough Black cover book to obtain. I acquired this beauty from another Canadian Seller and probably overpaid for it, but it was well worth it to add a tough book of this caliber to the run. You know the ole sayin "Its only worth what someone's willing to pay for it" I was more than willing and unlike the previous CGC graded book I can enjoy the interior and story as well! NOTHING beats High Grade RAW!

Captain America #156

Cover pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Dave Cockrum. "Two Into One Won't Go!" starring Captain America, Falcon, Sharon Carter, 1950's Captain America, Bucky (Jack Monroe), Bob Courtney, Brian Muldoon, and Mr. Trimble (Steve Roger's landlord), script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Frank McLaughlin; It's the final showdown between Captain America and his greatest fan, the insane Captain America from the 1950s

The AWSOME train rolls on! And what a way to end the year of 1972! Steve Englehart and Sal Buscema's last three Cap issues to end the year is quite possibly the best three issue Cap run of the title. I know they are some of my all-time favorite Cap issues. This was another CGC crack out book. A beautiful high grade book that I thought could have pulled a 9.6 NM+ I choose to stay conservative and stay with the 9.4 grade, although I added a (+) to note how strong the book was. It was a sheer joy to free the book from its Plastic Commodity prison and return it to a comic book once again.
There's just nothing being able to touch, see and Smell a comic book.

NEXT UP........ 1973!
Post 33 IP   flag post
OK lets now enter 1973

Cost of Living 1973
How Much things cost in 1973
Yearly Inflation Rate USA 6.16%
Yearly Inflation Rate UK 8.4%
Year End Close Dow Jones Industrial Average 850
Average Cost of new house $32,500.00
Average Income per year $12,900.00
Average Monthly Rent $175.00
Cost of a gallon of Gas 40 cents
AMC Javelin car$2,900.00
A Dozen Eggs 45 cents
Below are some Prices for UK guides in Pounds Sterling
Average House Price 9,942
Gallon of Petrol 0.35
A few More Examples
Ford Galaxie 500 $3,883
Pork Roast Lb 59 cents
Mortons TV Dinner 36 cents
Walkie Talkie Sets $13.88
Dozen Medium Eggs 25 cents
Component-type 8-track stereo tape player $44.50

OPEC oil to increase by 200%
•Arab members of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), announce they will restrict flow of crude oil to countries supporting Israel on October 17th causing price of oil to increase by 200%

Alaska Oil Pipeline
• Alaska Oil Pipeline bill is passed to allow construction of a pipeline to access oil from the North Slope of Alaska

Roe v. Wade
•Supreme Court of the United States rules on Roe v. Wade. January 22nd
•Roe v. Wade makes abortion a US constitutional right

United States -- Battle of the Sexes Tennis Match
1. Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs competed in “The Battle of the Sexes” exhibition tennis match during September of 1973.
2. 29-year-old King, who had already won 10 Grand Slam titles and was a pioneer in women’s tennis, went up against 55-year-old Riggs, who was at one point considered the best tennis player in the world, and defeated him handily winning three sets 6-4, 6-3, and 6-3.
3. King expressed relief at the end of the match, stating that she was worried losing it would have set women back.
4. She also took home the $100,000 prize.
5. Over 30,000 spectators attended it in Houston and an estimated 90 million people viewed the televised match worldwide, making it the most viewed tennis match in history.

In the World of Comic Books Captain America starts out his year by facing off against the VIPER!

Captain America #157

Cover pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by John Verpoorten. "Veni, Vidi, Vici: Viper," script by Steve Englehart and Steve Gerber, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by John Verpoorten; Captain America and the Falcon battle the Viper, who has been ordered to kill them at the request of The Cowled Commander; The two heroes battle the Viper on a New York rooftop and the Viper poisons them.

Steve Englehart and Sal Buscema continue their run on the title. After ending 1972 with three iconic Cap issues, it was hard to match those classic books. none the less Sal turns in a nice cover to start the year. I was pretty content with the books nice condition. I believe the book pulls a 9.0 from TPGers, but I docked it 1/2 grade for the light date stamp. I know, I know.... Many do not down grade for date stamps, but I do, especially if its on the front cover. On the back I would likely let it go. Anyway the book was more than acceptable in meeting the standards I was looking for in my Cap run.

Captain America #158

Cover pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Frank Giacoia. "The Crime Wave Breaks!" starring Viper, Captain America, Falcon, Redwing, Mrs. Muldoon, Sergeant Muldoon, Morgan, Bim, Quint, Billie, Courtney, and Mr. Trimble, script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by John Verpoorten; It's Round 2 for the Falcon, and the Viper; This time, the antidote for the Viper's poison is a swift kick to the face; Captain America gains super-strength

Englehart's Viper storyline continues and is a quite enjoyable read as the Falcon gets his revenge!
Buscema's cover work really pops with the Frank Giacoia inks. I always preferred a full action cover, as opposed to the "ghostly Cap" looking over the Falcon. The book is in beautiful condition and a likely 9.0 from TPGers. I did dock it for the ever so slight miswrap cover.

Captain America #159

Cover pencils by Sal Buscema. "Turning Point," script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by John Verpoorten; Still sick from the effects of the Viper's venom, Steven Rogers gets kidnapped by NYPD Sgt. Brian Muldoon and his patrol partner Bob Coutney; Because Rogers has disappeared several times on patrol for missions as Captain America, they believe him to be a criminal, maybe The Cowled Commander; Cap breaks free as his strength has greatly increased; He ichanges into Captain America and goes to confront the super-powered crime wave; Falcon also joins him, but the Eel blasts Falcon.

Steve Engleharts Conclusion to the Viper Storyline! I highly recommend the three issue Story to any Cap fan. While Sal Buscema delivers a nice action cover, I much prefer his work when inked by Frank Giacoia. Another extremely difficult black cover to find in acceptable grade, so I was once again very happy to have found this super nice book to add to my Cap Run!
Post 34 IP   flag post
Let us now continue with the year 1973

Captain America #160

First appearance of Solarr in "Enter: Solarr!" Script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Frank McLaughlin. Gil Kane-Alan Weiss/Frank Giacoia cover

Gil Kane is one of my All-Time favorite cover Artist, and his cover work here along with Alan Weiss and beautiful inking by Frank Giacoia is the highlight of the book!

Captain America #161

Cap faces Dr. Faustus in "If He Loseth His Soul!" Script by Steve Englehart, pencisl by Sal Buscema, inks by John Verpoorten. Buscema-John Romita Sr./Verpoorten cover.

Buscema and Romita's Cover didn't really do it for me on this issue. Luckily Steve Englehart crafts a pretty cool Dr. Faustus Storyline. This book is also one of the few that still remain on my "Upgrade List". A 6.5 is simply not going to cut the mustard.

Captain America #162

Dr. Faustus continues tormenting Cap in "This Way Lies Madness!" Script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by John Verpoorten. Cameos by the Red Skull, Baron Zemo, Modok, and Bucky Barnes. Jim Starlin/Joe Sinnott cover.

Englehart's Dr.Faustus storyline continues with and all-star cast of Cap characters! The Jim Starlin/Joe Sinnott cover is the cherry on top! If your looking to read a classic Captain America Story without having to break the bank, I highly recommend Cap 161 & 162.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Captain America #163

The Serpent Squad guest stars in "Beware of Serpents!" Script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by John Verpoorten and Tony Mortellaro. Buscema/Verpoorten cover

Englehart spins another exciting tale as Sal Buscema continues his outstanding run on the title. Another tough to find Black cover. Very Happy to have been able to add this Super Nice book to the run!

Captain America #164

First appearance of Nightshade, who turns the Falcon into a werewolf in "Queen of the Werewolves!" Script by Steve Englehart, art by Alan Weiss. (Many of Cap's heads retouched by John Romita Sr., creating quite a clash of styles!) Nick Fury cameo; brief Yellow Claw appearance. John Romita Sr. cover

Nightshade makes his debut in this, "Howling" Steve Englehart Story. Alan Weiss does an admiral job filling in for Sal Buscema on this issue. As a big fan of John Romita, this cover just didn't seem to be my cup of tea. I think it's the "Split Scene" style on the cover I didn't much care for.

Captain America #165

Cover by Sal Buscema. "The Yellow Claw Strikes," script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Frank McLaughlin; After defeating Deadly Nightshade, Queen of the Werewolves, the Star-Spangled Avengers uncovers the identity of Nightshade's hidden leader--The Yellow Cat!

Sal Buscema returns to bring the Steve Engelhart story to life! Yellow Claw showing up give Cap and Sam all they can handle. Another outstanding looking high grade book that I may have given a 9.0, If not for the slight off center cover on the top left. Even so there's no way this book doesn't make it into my run!
Post 36 IP   flag post
Captain America #166

Cover pencils by Rich Buckler, inks by Frank Giacoia. "Night of the Lurking Dead!" starring Captain America, Falcon, Redwing, Leila Taylor, SHIELD (Nick Fury, Dum Dum Dugan, Valentina Allegra de Fontaine, and Sharon Carter), Peggy Carter, Yellow Claw, Suwan, and Hop Sung, script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Frank McLaughlin; Cap, Fury, and the Falcon face off with the seemingly never ending horde of zombies!; Who will survive the night of the lurking dead?

A super cool cover by Rich Buckler! Cap and the Falcon facing off against hordes of zombies? You gotta just love it! Sal Buscema turns in another outstanding effort. Just a great issue to read.

Beautiful High grade book that again, I may have graded higher if not for the very slight miswrap.

Captain America #167

The final showdown between Cap and the Yellow Claw in "Ashes to Ashes!' Script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Frank Giacoia. Buscema cover

Steve Englehart weaves the thrilling conclusion to the Yellow Claw Story. Sal Buscema is runs the gambit on the Cover and Art with beautiful inks by Frank Giacoia. Its a very nice looking book, but another tough black cover. It does come in about a half grade lower than the 8.0 VFN minimum grade I desire. I'll have an eye out for a possible upgrade if one presents itself.

Captain America #168

Read about the origin of Baron Zemo and his family in "And a Phoenix Shall Arise!" Script by Tony Isabella, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by John Tartaglione and George Roussos. Red Skull cameo. Buscema/John Verpoorten cover

The creative team gets a bit of a shake up here in this Classic Cap Issue! Tony Isabella spins a masterful story featuring the Origin of one of Cap's greatest foe's, Baron Zemon. Buscema's Cover represents Everything a comic book cover should..... Cap in great peril over a boiling pot of chemicals, the Falcon swooping in to save the day! It just doesn't get any better than this! A book I would highly recommend for anybody looking for an entry point into the Captain America Series.

While I was still maintaining my minimum 8.0 Grade requirement, I was really trying to focus on obtaining Higher grade books at this point. Especially Key issues such as this. I was Extremely happy to find a super high quality copy of this book to add to my Captain America Run!
Post 37 IP   flag post
OK... so we ended the year 1973 with a bang and a great Captain America Issue with #168.

Let's now take a look at what was in store for us in 1974.

Jan 2 55 MPH speed limit imposed by Richard Nixon

Jan 12 "Joker" by Steve Miller Band peaks at #1

Jan 13 Super Bowl VIII: Miami Dolphins beat Minnesota Vikings, 24-7

Jan 15 "Happy Days" begins an 11 year run on ABC

Feb 19 1st American Music Awards: Helen Reddy & Jim Croce win

Mar 2 1st class postage raised to 10 cents from 8 cents

Apr 8 Hammerin' Hank Aaron hits 715th HR, breaking Babe Ruth's record in Atlanta

Apr 20 Paul McCartney & Wings release single "Band on the Run"

Jun 23 1st extraterrestrial message sent from Earth into space

Jun 26 The Universal Product Code is scanned for the first time to sell a package of Wrigley's chewing gum at the Marsh Supermarket in Troy, Ohio

Jul 31 6th San Diego Comic-Con International opens at El Cortez Hotel

Aug 9 Richard Nixon resigns as US President and VP Gerald Ford swears the oath of office to take his place as the 38th US President

Oct 30 "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre" horror film premieres in Los Angeles

Nov 24 24th NASCAR Sprint Cup: Richard Petty wins

Dec 9 Dow Jones index hits 570.01

Dec 31 Lindsey Buckingham & Stevie Nicks join Fleetwood Mac

So what was going on in the world of The star Spangled Avenger?

Captain American #169

The Tumbler bounces back, and the Black Panther makes an appearance in "When a Legend Dies!" Script by Steve Englehart and Mike Friedrich, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Frank McLaughlin. Red Skull cameo. Buscema cover.

Cap starts out the year with the first appearance Moonstone and the Death of the Tumbler. Englehart and Buscema continue their Legendary Run on the title.

Not without my own conflict here the book was a CGC 8.5 crack out that I felt was under graded by them.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Captain America #170

The Black Panther helps design a spiffy new costume for the Falcon in "J'Accuse." Script by Steve Englehart and Mike Friedrich, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Vince Colletta. Gil Kane/John Romita Sr. cover

Cap defeated by Moonstone? The Star Spangled avenger charged with Murder? A very enjoyable read here in this issue. The Gil Kane / Romita Sr cover is worth the price of admission alone.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Captain America #171

Cover pencils by John Romita, inks by John Romita and Tony Mortellaro. "Bust-Out!", script by Steve Englehart (story idea) and Mike Friedrich, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Vinnie Colletta; Captain Americas in jail and accused of murder; He's been set up by the malicious committee to regain America's principles and its super-figurehead, Moonstone--and Cap's unable to prove his innocence; Plus, the Falcon gets new wings. Brief Iron Man appearance.

What an absolutely Iconic Cover by John Romita.

Faced with the choice of busting out or staying in jail, Cap must decide if his reputation is more important than bringing Moonstone to justice. In African the Falcon and Panther must work together to save Leila.

I just noticed this-The Committee to Regain America's Principles initials spells c.r.a.p.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Captain America #172

Last 20-cent cover price. Cover pencils by Gil Kane and John Romita (layouts), inks by Frank Giacoia. The original X-Men appear in "Believe It or Not: The Banshee!", script by Mike Friedrich (plot assist) and Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Vinnie Colletta; After escaping from Moonstone and a police manhunt, Captain America and the Falcon follow a lead and hitchhike to Nashville, Tennessee to investigate Moonstone's background; In Nashville, they encounter the Banshee, who believes they are criminals looking to capture him; The Banshee uses his shrill mutant powers; Cyclops intervenes; Marvel Girl takes Captain America and the Falcon to Professor X. Story continues from The Avengers #111

Back together again Cap and the Falcon fight desperately for a chance to regroup. When the moment presents itself they take steps to turn the tables on their adversaries. An effort that will yield them some unexpected allies. The Banshee is starting to look different here slowly morphing into the mutant we all know now!
Post 41 IP   flag post
Captain America #173

First 25-cent cover price. The original X-Men guest star in "The Sins of the Secret Empire!" Script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Vince Colletta. Cameos by Magneto, Thor, and Iron Man. Cover by John Romita Sr. (layout) and Gil Kane/Frank Giacoia.

One of my favorite "in your face" Gil Kane Covers! Steve Englehart and Sal Buscema's classic story arc continues to unfold. Nobody does Marvel plot continuity like Englehart. Even Stan Lee never went back and picked up multiple old plot threads like this.

I seen a few copies claiming 9.4 NM but both were Miswraps that I hate. While the 8.5 I have is a super strong book for the grade(Maybe a 9.0), I still keep my eye out for a possible 9.4 NM
Post 42 IP   flag post
Captain America #174

Cover pencils by Gil Kane and John Romita (layouts), inks by Frank Giacoia. The original X-Men guest star in "It's Always Darkest...!", script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Vinnie Colletta; Captain American and the Falcon are disguised as employees of the Secret Empire to gain entry into their secret base; They are discovered and almost executed by laser beams; They escape down an exhaust vent and let in Professor X, Cyclops, and Marvel Girl, who are looking for lost X-Men and X-Men villains; They locate Beast, Iceman, Angel, Lorna Dane, Havok, Mastermind, Blob, Unus, and Mesmero

For the first time in a long time Cap and the Falcon know exactly who they're dealing with. But can the knowledge help them succeed, or will the Secret Empire prove too much?

Two quick references to the Watergate scandal serve to date the story.

Another super tough black cover. I felt it might be strong enough to pull a 9.4, but dock it a grade for the slight miswrap on the cover. Still a Super nice book Im happy to have added to my Cap Run.
Post 43 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Beautiful run, nice efforts here.
Rare appearance of the original X-Men before the re-vamp. My question is, is this their last appearance before the re-vamp in normal continuity?
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
Beautiful run, nice efforts here.
Rare appearance of the original X-Men before the re-vamp. My question is, is this their last appearance before the re-vamp in normal continuity?

Im not really sure about that. While I have some small X-Men runs, Ive always favored solo superhero titles over the team oriented books.

This Captain America Story Arc was without question Marvel's version of the Watergate Scandal of the time.

As for the Original X-Men, The also appear in the next Captain America Issue as well (#175 July 1974)

So the question would be weather Captain America #175 is their last appearance.

X-Men Enthusiasts would likely know better than I if the Original X-Men Team made any other appearances between Captain America #175(July 1974) and X-Men #94(August 1975 / when all but Cyclops quit)
Post 45 IP   flag post
And here is that issue...

Captain America #175

Cyclops and Marvel Girl from the original X-Men guest star in "Before the Dawn!" Script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Vince Colletta. Cameos by the Hulk and the Sub-Mariner. The letters page contains Marvel Value Stamp series A # 77 (The Swordsman by Gene Colan). Cover by John Romita Sr. (layout) and Sal Buscema

Cap and the X-Men are at the mercy of the Secret Empire until they get a little help from an unexpected source. What follows is the stirring climax of this long unfolding epic.

pretty strong political parallels for a Marvel Comic. I don't think it was literally Nixon, but Cap's reaction to the politician that was number 1 is the same as America's reaction to watergate. So...its metaphorically Nixon?

Englehart answers this one in Marvel Comics: The Untold Story (pg. 146):

"Englehart never showed the president's face, but Marvel called him when the pages arrived, asking for reassurance that it was not intended to be Nixon. 'I swore up and down that it wasn't,' he said. 'But once it was in print, I had no problem admitting it.'"
Post 46 IP   flag post
Captain America #176

Cover art by John Romita. "Captain America Must Die!" starring Captain America, Falcon, Iron Man, Thor, Vision, Edwin Jarvis, Sharon Carter, Peggy Carter, Adolf Hitler (in newsreel), and Dr. Josef Reinstein, script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Vinnie Colletta; Disgusted at corruption in our nation's government and after much thought and reflection, Steve Rogers abandons his role as Captain America; Origins retold of Captain America and the Falcon.

By now Im sure your aware Steve Engleharts "Secret Empire" story arc was his comic book version of the Watergate scandal that was griping the nation at the time. In comparison to the corruption seen in todays modern political landscape, Watergate is pretty tame.

Disgusted at corruption in our nation's government and after much thought and reflection, Steve Rogers abandons his role as Captain America in issue #176 and is a prelude to the coming Nomad Storyline.

Another tough to find black cover book that Im happy to have found in an exceptional grade.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Captain America #177

Cover art by John Romita. "Lucifer Be Thy Name," script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Vinnie Colletta; Despite argument from the Falcon, Steve Rogers remains convicted not to continue as Captain America; Harlem is terrorized when the super-powered alien Lucifer arrives; To stay anchored in Earth's dimension, Lucifer merges his essence with Rafe Michel and the super-powered Aries; The Falcon fails to defeat the two Lucifers and stays mad at Steve Rogers for not helping him.

With a nice cover from John Romita, Englehart and Buscema follow up their "Secret Empire" storyline with the fallout of Steve Rogers no longer being Captain America.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Its been over a month since I last posted in my Captain America Run. With 454 Issues in the run, This is going to take a lot longer than I initially thought.

Captain America #178

The Falcon battles Lucifer in "If the Falcon Should Fall!" Script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Vince Colletta. First appearance of Roscoe (becomes Captain America for a few issues beginning in 181). Letter to the editor from writer Joe Nazzaro. The letters page also contains Marvel Value Stamp series A # 89 (Hammerhead). John Romita-Ron Wilson/Frank Giacoia cover.

Englehart and Buscema continue their amazing run on the title. The Falcon does his best to hold down the fort in Cap's absence. Another tough black cover and one I would like to upgrade to at least an 8.5- 9.0 copy.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Captain America #179

Cover pencils by Ron Wilson, inks by Frank Giacoia. First appearance of the Golden Archer (a.k.a. Clint Barton, Hawkeye) in "Slings and Arrows!", script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Vince Colletta; Hawkeye disguises himself as the Golden Archer to lure Steve Rogers into resuming his crime-fighting career; Roscoe tells the Falcon that he plans on being the new Captain America; After his confrontation with the Golden Archer, Steve returns to the life of crime-fighting, but not as Captain America; Cameos by the Space Phantom, Rick Jones, the Vision, Thor, the Hulk, Daredevil, Doctor Strange, the Valkyrie, and Spider-Man. Letter to the editor from comics editor Ralph Macchio. The letters page also contains Marvel Value Stamp series A #52 (Quicksilver by John Buscema).

The Ron Wilson Cover really captures the essence of the story here. Seems like the entire Marvel Universe makes an appearance to weigh in on Cap's decision to quit. Buscema's art flow beautifully with the Vince Colletta inks. I was VERY happy to have acquired this high grade book!
Post 50 IP   flag post
Captain America #180

Cover pencils by Gil Kane, inks by Mike Esposito. First appearance and origin of Nomad (Steve Rogers) in "The Coming of the Nomad!", script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Vince Colletta; Steve Rogers creates the new costumed identity of Nomad for himself; Madame Hydra kills the original Viper taking his name and his costume and reforms the Serpent Squad; Nomad is unable to stop the Squad from kidnapping the president of Roxxon; Krang is revealed as Viper's partner in the reformation of the Serpent Squad; The Falcon encounters Roscoe who is looking for Steve Rogers to train him as the new Captain America. The letters page has Marvel Value Stamp series A #61 (The Red Ghost).

WHAT IS THIS!?.... Im missing this Issue! Say it ain't so!

Ive had a few opportunities to acquire the book, as I don't believe it to be all that rare. While it is considered to be a Key book, but I always felt it was kind of a bogus 1st appearance of Nomad.
While technically it is, but its just Cap in disguise. I just haven't been willing to lay down the money for a book I feel is over priced. I know I will have to break down a bite the bullet at some point.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Captain America #181

Cover pencils by Gil Kane, inks by Joe Sinnott. Intro and origin of the new Cap (Roscoe) in "The Mark of Madness!", script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Vince Colletta; Nomad fights the Serpent Squad and Krang, under the thrall of the Serpent Crown, to stop them from using a Roxxon oil platform to raise Lemuria to the surface. Roscoe becomes Captain America; Nick Fury cameo. Letter to the editor from comics writer Mark Gruenwald. The letters page also contains Marvel Value Stamp series A #46 (Mysterio).

Now that's how you do a kick ass cover! It doesn't even matter that it's not Steve Rogers, Gil Kane and Joe Sinnott just killed it on that cover!

This was a book I cracked out of a CGC 9.2 slab. I felt the book was most certainly under graded.

Let's stop here for now and just admire that Gil Kane cover for awhile longer
Post 52 IP   flag post
Captain America #182

Roscoe continues as the new Captain America in "Inferno!" Script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Frank Robbins, inks by Joe Giella. Red Skull cameo. Letter to the editor from comics publisher Dean Mullaney. The letters page also contains Marvel Value Stamp series A # 36 (Ancient One from Doctor Strange by Steve Ditko). Ron Wilson/Frank Giacoia cover

Ron Wilson turns in another fine cover that conveys the storyline. Ive always praised the Steve Englehart run on the title, but the whole Cap quitting only to reappear in a different costume as "Nomad" really didn't engross me into the storyline. Maybe that is partially the reason I have yet to obtain Issue #180. I just don't believe the whole Cap as Nomad is all that Key of a book.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Captain America #183

Death of the new Cap (Roscoe); Nomad (Steve Rogers) becomes Cap again in "Nomad: No More!" Script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Frank Robbins, inks by Frank Giacoia. Gil Kane/Joe Sinnott cover

Thankfully the whole "Cap/Nomad" storyline comes to a welcome end here in this issue. Also coming to an unfortunate end is Sal Buscema's long run as the regular artist on the cap title, although he does contribute on some cover art, as well as some fill in work.

Not all is negative here on this issue, Roscoe goes bye bye and his fate is forever captured by the great Gil Kane and Joe Sinnott.

This issue I believe also marks a turning point on the Captain America Title. King Kirby is Coming!
Post 54 IP   flag post
Captain America #184

The real Captain America is back in action in "Cap's Back!" Script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Herb Trimpe, inks by Frank Giacoia and Mike Esposito. Letter to the editor from comics publisher Dean Mullaney. Gil Kane/John Romita Sr. cover

The whole Steve Rogers quitting and becoming Nomad with a disappointing storyline for me. But NOW CAP is BACK!, and so is the Red Skull! Things start to get shook up a bit with the creative team as Frank Giacoia inks the legendary Herb Trimpe pencils. Englehart gets back to the basics with a great Red Skull story line over the next few issues. The cherry on the top is added by yet another classic action packed cover from the master, Gil Kane, this time aided by the talents of John Romita!

Let us again pause a moment to admire that awesome Cap Cover....
Post 55 IP   flag post
597869 65 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?