Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

CBCS Sales Value vs. CGC Sales Value34

Collector Shark private msg quote post Address this user
I'd like to make my 1st thread in here about the value of CBCS books vs. CGC graded books. As almost all of you know, GPA tracks only the sales of CGC graded books from various venues. I've attempted to contact the guy who runs GPA via e-mail a few times about whether he was going to start including sales of CBCS graded comics in his database but those e-mails have gone unanswered.

Does anyone in here know of anyone who is attempting or going to attempt to track sales values of CBCS graded books? I've had a number of people ask me about that and I honestly don't know what to tell them. Are CBCS comics in the same grade bringing as much in sales dollars as the CGC graded comics are? 90%? 80%?

I've had a substantial number of comics graded by both companies and so far, unfortunately, my ability to sell CBCS graded comics hasn't seemed to be as easy as selling CGC books when I price them according to GPA.

Thanks in advance for any input on this.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark
I've attempted to contact the guy who runs GPA via e-mail a few times about whether he was going to start including sales of CBCS graded comics in his database but those e-mails have gone unanswered.

George has stated that he won't be adding CBCS sales data to his website
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thanks for that info. At least somebody finally answered me on that.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector BronzeAgeBaby private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Watcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark
I've attempted to contact the guy who runs GPA via e-mail a few times about whether he was going to start including sales of CBCS graded comics in his database but those e-mails have gone unanswered.

George has stated that he won't be adding CBCS sales data to his website

Any particular reason?
Post 4 IP   flag post
@BronzeAgeBaby As far as I can tell, his site was designed to track the sales of CGC grading books, and that's what he's sticking with
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
I believe that there's an agreement between GPA and CGC, as well.

Hey Watcher!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector BronzeAgeBaby private msg quote post Address this user
Well horse manure ... someone needs to get on it for CBCS. What's Justin up too?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
I believe that there's an agreement between GPA and CGC, as well.

Hey Watcher!

Hey! Sorry I didn't say anything earlier. It's been hectic since the forum launched
Post 8 IP   flag post
President SteveBorock private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS has had higher prices on major auction houses than CGC. CGC has also had higher prices that CBCS. It depends on the bidders and how the books look. It is a shame that my friend, George at GPA, will not add CBCS, but we will be working with a company that will be tracking CBCS prices soon.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpool private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kav
CGC waved their schlong around after George had originally mentioned he wanted to include them and then George dropped it.

Haha!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector TheKaptain private msg quote post Address this user
I think the reason that CBCS slabs are, on average, going for less than CGC slabs at the same grade, especially on eBay, is that most collectors are not familiar with CBCS yet. That will change though. Get the deals now, before it is too late!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Oldshady private msg quote post Address this user
http://comics.gocollect.com/
This site has CGC and CBCS sales data. I use it daily.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Owen_Lorder private msg quote post Address this user
George is getting UPSET!!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Foxtrot70 private msg quote post Address this user
I sold a big SA key fast and for solid price using CBCS. I used Facebook. Kudos to Steve and crew for bringing trusted top notch service and alternative choice. Our hobby needed a strong skilled and ethical competitor not fancy stickers to tell us if slabs were better graded than others. No smoke and mirrors w Cbcs. Just view grader notes.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector JohnnyStorm private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBorock
CBCS has had higher prices on major auction houses than CGC. CGC has also had higher prices that CBCS. It depends on the bidders and how the books look. It is a shame that my friend, George at GPA, will not add CBCS, but we will be working with a company that will be tracking CBCS prices soon.

It's awesome when el presidente gets involved. Great hearing from you Steve.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Oldbsturgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah there isn't any reason I would think outside of awareness that CBCS books would sell for less than CGC books.
We're not talking issues that say PGX would have in missing restoration or overgrading mid grade SA. CBCS doesn't have those problems. I know I heard talk about soft grading at first, but I can't see that at all currently, to where it's maybe even stricter right now.
I have a friend who only sends in to CBCS now and he likes the quality of product coming out, thinks TATs are pretty good and feels he gets better prices too.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
The awareness factor is the only reason I can see for a book to sell for less from either company graded the same. I like CGCS's slab and the quality of the grades I have seen are spot on.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Go Collect tracks both CBCS and CGC sales although the site need improvement because they aren't tracking all variants. Steve Borock, what company are you guys working with that will track CBCS sales?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Beaumonts private msg quote post Address this user
It will be nice to be able to buy and sell CBCS comics to fellow collectors on a forum!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Oldbsturgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTim
Go Collect tracks both CBCS and CGC sales although the site need improvement because they aren't tracking all variants. Steve Borock, what company are you guys working with that will track CBCS sales?

I knew there was some place that did but forgot it's name, thanks for reminding me!
Post 20 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Based on my sales records (and only the sales I have made)the CBCS keys track close to CGC sales. On non-key books I have noticed a difference of anywhere from 5% to 10% less on average.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Sqeggs private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I don't know whether here, somewhere else, or maybe nowhere, you would be willing to address the perception that CBCS books sell for less because the grades are a half point to a point higher than they would if they were graded by CGC.

My--admittedly unsystematic--tracking of Marvel SA keys indicates that CBCS graded copies sell for significantly less than CGC graded copies with the same grade. Several prominent dealers have told me the same thing.

I understand that you might not want to get into this publicly on your chat forum, but it's certainly the elephant in the room for many people in the hobby.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector MetalPSI private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqeggs
Quote:

I don't know whether here, somewhere else, or maybe nowhere, you would be willing to address the perception that CBCS books sell for less because the grades are a half point to a point higher than they would if they were graded by CGC.

My--admittedly unsystematic--tracking of Marvel SA keys indicates that CBCS graded copies sell for significantly less than CGC graded copies with the same grade. Several prominent dealers have told me the same thing.

I understand that you might not want to get into this publicly on your chat forum, but it's certainly the elephant in the room for many people in the hobby.

Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector ChrisInBaltimore private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Not trying to be argumentative, but do you have any pictures that demonstrate the grade difference? Admittedly, I haven't watched too closely, but I haven't noticed a huge difference. I'm curious now.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@Sqeggs @MetalPSI Feel free to talk about the subject as long as there's no bashing of either grading company, name calling, trolling, etc.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Sqeggs private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Watcher
@Sqeggs @MetalPSI Feel free to talk about the subject as long as there's no bashing of either grading company, name calling, trolling, etc.

Not meaning to bash anyone. I was just curious as to whether CBCS would take the opportunity of the chat forum starting to address what many people see as the key issue regarding their grading: CBCS is giving books higher grades than CGC does.

I would be interested in seeing their thoughts on the issue, and I'm sure a ton of other people would as well.

But if they don't want to discuss that perception of their grading or don't want to discuss it here, that's fine.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Iceman399 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Based on my sales records (and only the sales I have made)the CBCS keys track close to CGC sales. On non-key books I have noticed a difference of anywhere from 5% to 10% less on average.

I would say the same and there are a couple reasons I can attribute to in my dealings:
Non key books means they are likely working on a run in a certain grade(s). Many collectors are OCD and if they have issue 1,2,4,5,6 in CGC they likely want to find an issue 3 in CGC so they can add it to their registry. Once CBCS gets moving on their registry etc I think this will level off.
I've had very little difficulty moving CBCS keys especially once you inform a new buyer of the pros and cons to each company and inform them of the history.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
But if they don't want to discuss that perception of their grading or don't want to discuss it here, that's fine.

You misinterpreted my post. It CAN be talked about as long as the discussion is civil and doesn't get personal. These rules apply to any topic, not just this one. I just took this opportunity to put it out there
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman399
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics

I would say the same and there are a couple reasons I can attribute to in my dealings:
Non key books means they are likely working on a run in a certain grade(s). Many collectors are OCD and if they have issue 1,2,4,5,6 in CGC they likely want to find an issue 3 in CGC so they can add it to their registry.

Exactly. I'm still working on completing my CGC slabbed set of Journey Into Mystery V2 and only need 3 more to complete my 19 issue set. My preference is to get these 3 in CGC slabs although I might consider CBCS slabs if I can't locate the CGC ones in the near future.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector 1Cool private msg quote post Address this user
Definitely refreshing to be able to discuss this issue without having to worry about the thread being erased.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600902 96 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?