Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

CBCS Sales Value vs. CGC Sales Value34

Collector Marc_1 private msg quote post Address this user
I think the CBCS holder is every bit as good as CGCs last holder type (not the newer one).

I haven't seen or held a new CGC holder to really make an informed opinion.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector Marc_1 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by zosocane
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Cool
And up until now CBCS slabs did not have a sales venue comparable to the CGC message boards so I felt it was limiting to get CBCS slabs.

The launching of these CBCS boards was a big step in the growth of the company, and the eventual launch of a specific sales forum for raw and CBCS books will be the next big step for CBCS, as there will be a lot more traffic to the site and trusted buyers and collectors being able to buy and sell CBCS books to one another.

This!
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector Makeminemego private msg quote post Address this user
I think the two grading companies are pretty close with regards to grading. As a collector who buys mostly 3.5-6.0 SA books, I see just as many "head scratchers" from CGC as CBCS. I think CGC MIGHT put a little more emphasis on overall eye appeal, whereas CBCS tends to weight technically graded defects a little bit heavier (chipping, sub creases).

CBCS has-only speaking from my experience-a more consistent, yet more liberally applied PQ standard. PQ has become a crapshoot with CGC, and even though I may not agree with every CBCS PQ rating I've seen, they've been consistent across the board.

Just my opinions.
Post 78 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by FForFake
My completely unscientific and random observations have indicated that CBCS books, with the exceptions of keys, have been selling for less than their CGC counterparts. My equally unscientific and random impression from seeing CBCS slabs in hand is that the grading is right on. I think any disparity in value is simply a matter of CBCS being so new. CGC has been around a long time now, and they have been considered the industry standard for sometime. It will take awhile for CBCS to get there. Therefore, my instinct is BUY CBCS BOOKS NOW! Wish I had a chunk of change to sink into them at the moment, instead of a few random books here and there.

That being said, I think that this forum is a HUGE step in the direction of making the CBCS more popular. CGC has built a community. This forum can help CBCS truly do the same. If people are talking, sharing, buying, selling and LIVING in the CBCS world on a daily basis, it will do a lot to build a community, and word of mouth for the brand.

All of this.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Collector Beige private msg quote post Address this user
I have subbed books with CBCS and have nothing but praise for their service, turnaround times and slabs.
Their grading appears to be the same 'standard' of CGC.
I'm glad to see the market is appreciating CBCS as a genuine equal to CGC and demand for their slabbed books continues to grow.
I would hope Steve and West's company gets the respect it deserves as it continues to grow.
Post 80 IP   flag post

Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Did someone mention something about the CGC census and accuracy? Do not rely on the CGC census for determining scarcity. There is, or was, so many examples of crack, conserve, and resubmit out there that I think the census is as about as reliable on stats as Overstreet PG is on market prices.
Post 81 IP   flag post
Collector VintageComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder
Did someone mention something about the CGC census and accuracy?

Nope. Did they?
Post 82 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Yup page two CaptainAmerica mentions it.
Post 83 IP   flag post
Collector VintageComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

You might have misread that. He mentioned that the CGC census is questionably accurate due to resubmissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
What will be interesting to see is whether future census data between the two companies can be collected and correlated since grade bump resubmissions have prompted questions about the accuracy of census info for years.

He wants to see if there is a correlation between CBCS and CGC census numbers.

Sounds reasonable.
Post 84 IP   flag post
Collector MetalPSI private msg quote post Address this user
I find that interesting as well. A Co census?
Post 85 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageComics
Quote:

You might have misread that. He mentioned that the CGC census is questionably accurate due to resubmissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
What will be interesting to see is whether future census data between the two companies can be collected and correlated since grade bump resubmissions have prompted questions about the accuracy of census info for years.

He wants to see if there is a correlation between CBCS and CGC census numbers.

Sounds reasonable.

Thanks; yeah, that's what I meant. By trying to phrase things too artfully I might've succeeded in being less clear.

Right now, I'd assume all available census data is probably 80% accurate give or take 5%. It's likely some cracked out and resubmitted books (sans labels) have been counted twice (grade bump or not). Bad census data gives a false accounting of total books in the system while skewing high grade numbers.

When CBCS sets up their own census system it may be entirely different than CGC, but going forward it might prove beneficial for grading services to keep a data base with scans of submitted books (say 6.0 and above). My thinking is geared more toward scarcer GA and SA titles and the impact on HG values.

Most modern books are available in such numbers and high grades that it'd probably be too complicated for a grading service to accrue and store such data, not to mention less useful.

Keep in mind that I'm not faulting any service or policy, it's just the way the census system evolved over the years. This is just for the sake of discussion.
Post 86 IP   flag post
Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
I just bid on a CBCS book on HA and, while putting in the bid, my thought process considered that, with the launch of these new CBCS boards and the commentary from this thread that most seasoned collectors are of the view that CBCS generally gets it right, my confidence in the CBCS grade and the value of the book slabbed therein is now stronger than it was before these boards went live. This will take time to play out, but I think others will have a similar thought process, and that delta we're talking about will start to narrow -- again, over time.
Post 87 IP   flag post
Collector Maverick private msg quote post Address this user
@Oldshady I also use gocollect on a regular basis and really like it. Ive never used GPA so i cant really compare the two but ive been very happy with gocollect.
Post 88 IP   flag post
Collector Owen_Lorder private msg quote post Address this user
This made me laugh out loud
Post 89 IP   flag post
Collector Sqeggs private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen_Lorder

Well I guess it beats "Not CGC 9.8"
Post 90 IP   flag post
Collector Iago19 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqeggs
Quote:

It's all over ebay, and It's annoying
Post 91 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iago19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqeggs
Quote:

It's all over ebay, and It's annoying

You may not be looking at this the right way. From another perspective, the listing suggests that CBCS grades stricter than CGC. Folks have been known to argue just the opposite, so that provides a counterpoint. You know, as a glass half full kinda guy, that could easily be turned into good promotional advertising.
Post 92 IP   flag post
Collector gary_k private msg quote post Address this user
Ive Found when its a key book it dont matter much , but when its a modern or a non-key they are tougher sells and lower sells. But i trust CBCS grading with my silver age keys and im not selling them so i really dont care. Plus im loving the $33/$35 15 day older book grading VS. the CGC $60 standard teir.
Post 93 IP   flag post
Collector Iago19 private msg quote post Address this user
@CatmanAmerica I can see that point. But why not list it for what it is. Both companies are reputable and overall solid when it comes to grading. There seems to be a constant comparison or rivalry mentality. But, I get it.
Post 94 IP   flag post
@Iago19 I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, some attitudes are pervasive in our culture. My point is that for every situation that has bad implications you can usually find a positive way to approach it.
Post 95 IP   flag post
600886 96 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?