Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector TheImmortalGI private msg quote post Address this user
Hello everybody! First time poster, long time lurker of the CBCS threads here. You folks seem like a jolly and knowledgeable bunch, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on keeping the humidity levels in a comic room/storage space at an acceptable level.

I live in Ontario Canada (Woo Happy Canada Day!!! ) and I keep my short boxes and slabs in my living room area of the second floor of my house. they are raised a few inches off the floor on a lower shelf and I have a small fan, a large air conditioner, and a large dehumidifier blasting 24/7 inside the room. Constantly.

And yet, try as I might, the humidity likes to hover around 54-56% on humid or rainy days, EVEN with my dehumidifier set to drag the room down to 45-50%. There is constant fluctuation between 48-57% humidity seemingly every few days.

I have read that libraries and vintage book/document storage spaces recommend a constant controlled humidity of 50% or lower, in the 40's. Should I be concerned? will a fluctuation of 48-57% humidity whenever it gets really warm and rainy/humid damage my comics? Am I CRAZY?!

Maybe newer books might not be as hurt by humidity, but I don't want my 50's ECs or Golden Age War books to get hurt. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
You are good below 60% RH. I would not worry.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Welcome aboard.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Awesome, thanks. I figured I was probably worrying over nothing. My room never goes over 60% so I'm good to go!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user
You're fine dude don't worry
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
You're in a good range, try not to let things get too dry either. Remember your books like the same comfort conditions that you do.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Yeah, I guess too dry can be bad as well. I'll keep that in mind, I figure having the room be around 50-56% should be fine then. I appreciate the responses thanks guys!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Yeah. Try to stay between 40-60 %RH. The more consistant that you keep the room, the better. Also put your better books in Mylite 2 by E Gerber with half backs or full backs boards.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
What's comfortable for you is comfortable for a comic book. A hot attic or storage shed no, stinky damp basement no. 60-70 degree with below 50 humidity yes.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the board where we talk a bit, drink a bit, @DarthLego puts people on his list, and our favorite response to all questions is #Soon.
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos
Welcome to the board where we talk a bit, drink a bit, @DarthLego puts people on his list, and our favorite response to all questions is #Soon.

And we have a weird thread where someone is trying to determine which Dr Who he most looks like, which is in it's 3rd (technically 4th, because the first one was about Superman) incarnation because it keeps getting full.
#Don'tBeScared
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos

And we have a weird thread where someone is trying to determine which Dr Who he most looks like, which is in it's 3rd (technically 4th, because the first one was about Superman) incarnation because it keeps getting full.
#Don'tBeScared
Very true. Lots of fun stuff here.
Post 12 IP   flag post
597986 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?