Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Restoration and ConservationComics Silver AgeQuestions

Dry-cleaning and pressing339

Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_k
I just cracked my first NEW CGC slab yesterday BTW .... Not air tite at all in fact id think reslabing would need to be sooner rather than later. sounds like a money grab by them.

You want your slabs to be air-tight?

Why would you have to re-slab "sooner" (however long that is)? Why is it a money grab?

Well, actually I think airtight or close to might have merit. While slabbed comis were never intended to be dunked into the bathtub, they would in fact survive it. Or rather CGC old slabs would. There are plenty of stories of Comic collections in the bedroom ruined by the fire dept putting out a fire in the kitchen. Everything soaked. Except the slabbed books. The sealed inner kept books dry.CBCS solution of an inner well material that is just a bit more gas permeable than the Barex used by CGC and PGX probably close to ideal compromise. That no inner well thing is causing a bunch of appearance problems for CGC, and the Con c not being sealed raises the risk of damage from say a leaking roof or the aforementioned fire dept dousing of books.

Money grab not fair.CGC has to get away from Barex, it is no longer being manufactured. And they needed to spiff up their case for competive reasons. But it has NOT been a great product roll out for them
Post 26 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I could see moisture/condensation as a problem if slabs were air tight. I remember one such collector who kept his graded books in a somewhat air tight safe and ended up with rusty staples.
Post 27 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:
Quote:
I just cracked my first NEW CGC slab yesterday BTW .... Not air tite at all in fact id think reslabing would need to be sooner rather than later. sounds like a money grab by them.

Why would you have to re-slab "sooner" (however long that is)? Why is it a money grab?

Well, actually I think airtight or close to might have merit. While slabbed comis were never intended to be dunked into the bathtub, they would in fact survive it. Or rather CGC old slabs would. There are plenty of stories of Comic collections in the bedroom ruined by the fire dept putting out a fire in the kitchen. Everything soaked. Except the slabbed books. The sealed inner kept books dry.CBCS solution of an inner well material that is just a bit more gas permeable than the Barex used by CGC and PGX probably close to ideal compromise. That no inner well thing is causing a bunch of appearance problems for CGC, and the Con c not being sealed raises the risk of damage from say a leaking roof or the aforementioned fire dept dousing of books.

Money grab not fair.CGC has to get away from Barex, it is no longer being manufactured. And they needed to spiff up their case for competive reasons. But it has NOT been a great product roll out for them

Why not keep them in the bags companies like Hot Flips provide? While not the prettiest to look at, it would help in the case of a flood or water damage.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Have you ever tried to vacuum seal a slab?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector gary_k private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

not air tight , but not loose in plastic either , the inner sleeves were sealed were they not ?

the standard reslab time frame was 7 years before with the chamber paper and sealed inner seal... im just taking a stab that the proper time to reslab your books would now be shorter.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

not air tight , but not loose in plastic either , the inner sleeves were sealed were they not ?

the standard reslab time frame was 7 years before with the chamber paper and sealed inner seal... im just taking a stab that the proper time to reslab your books would now be shorter.

The 7 year thing is BS. That was just marketing by CGC to trick you into reslabbing your books when they didn't need it.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The 7 year thing is BS. That was just marketing by CGC to trick you into reslabbing your books when they didn't need it.

Are you sure ?
Ive got old label CGC slabs that are way past the 7 years.
And ive been debating over the last 5 if I should re holder them. I do know that some collectors seek these old label graded books.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Are you sure ?
And ive been debating over the last 5 if I should re holder them. I do know that some collectors seek these old label graded books.

That's what the MCP argument has been about. Find the locked thread here for more info. The evidence shows that 7 years is BS. Borock apparently has some other info but won't share it with us. BTW, check the CGC board where Harshen did share some MCP info.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Are you sure ?

A lot of the old label purchasers are typically buying them for one of two reasons (maybe both).

1) They think the books were graded more strictly in the early days of the cgc and therefore they can receive a grade bump by cracking the book out, having it pressed, and submitted again for grading.

2) They think that since the book is an old label book that it has a higher likelihood of not having been pressed. This benefits the crack and press crew as well as those who do not want to pressed books in their collection.

I'm sure there are other reasons as well, but these two seem to be the most prominent.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Are you sure ?

There is no mention on the CGC website - and has not been for at least a couple of years - of the need to reslab books to change out the MCP every seven years. Nor any other time frame. CGC seems to have just quietly removed that recommendation.

The benefits of MCP can - and should be - questioned by reasonable people. If you look on library conservation sites (NEDCC.org or Library of Congress website), then you'll find Microchamber paper either not used at all or if used done so only to remove odors. So if the benefits of using it in the first place can be questioned, then certainly the benefits of replacing it on some schedule is questionable.

Apparently I missed a good discussion on MCP - pity. I've spent a fair amount of time looking into this. The people that defend it's use in comic storage tend to be those selling it. ALL of the data showing it being beneficial has been obtained using accelerated aging tests. They store books in extremely high temperatures, high humidity and then introduce pollutants. Those tests show MCP beneficial. But the conditions tested in are nothing like the storage conditions in collector's houses.

Accelerated aging tests are at best hypothetical, at worst deceitful. The Library of Congress says this...

"However, aging data obtained at these high temperatures cannot be extrapolated accurately to ambient (room temperature) conditions, as supported by results from the Canadian Conservation Institute (CCI)"
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Are you sure ?

There is no mention on the CGC website - and has not been for at least a couple of years - of the need to reslab books to change out the MCP every seven years. Nor any other time frame. CGC seems to have just quietly removed that recommendation.

Here's a reference to MCP on CGC's site:

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/holder-faq.asp#generalFAQ5

"Q: What is micro-chamber paper? Can it damage the book, and will it ever need to be changed out?

A: CGC places a thin sheet of micro-chamber paper inside the book before encapsulation. Because the Mylar surrounding the book is open on the edge, the book can “breathe.” The micro-chamber paper does not harm the book. Instead, it helps to absorb impurities from the elements, which aids in preserving the book. It had previously been determined that the micro-chamber paper should be replaced every 7–10 years, but in many cases the sheets actually perform well past that point. Failing to replacing (sic) it has not shown any adverse effects on the comic book. The sheets simply stop absorbing off-gassing, but because the books are allowed to breathe, the off-gassing can escape."

I like how they say it was "7-10" years before. No it wasn't. It was 7 years. I'v never seen 7-10 years until today, 16 years later.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Ray private msg quote post Address this user
Has anyone used Monstah Comics & Toys for pressing and dry cleaning?

www.monstahonline.com

I have some books that I want to submit for grading but want them dry cleaned and pressed first.

Thanks,
Ray
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector svgcomics181 private msg quote post Address this user
i would recommend Avery Comic Pressing LLC
Professional Services, u can find him on facebook
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector matterus023 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray

www.monstahonline.com

I have some books that I want to submit for grading but want them dry cleaned and pressed first.

Thanks,
Ray

Not the best at all mate. Trust me. Use susan cicconi at

http://www.therestorationlab.com/

Awesome work. Some say a bit on the pricey side but worth every penny.

Also check out Joe at http://www.cfpcomics.com/ I have never used him but only heard good things from well respected people in the industry. Guys from facebook seem to me more like chancers/amateurs than professionals when it comes to the ART of pressing
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by matterus023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray

www.monstahonline.com

Thanks,
Ray

Also check out Joe at http://www.cfpcomics.com/ I have never used him but only heard good things from well respected people in the industry. Guys from facebook seem to me more like chancers/amateurs than professionals when it comes to the ART of pressing

I believe Joey is the one that CBCS recommends. He's a stand-up guy.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
Another vote for Joe/CFP Comics here.

Post 41 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick_Pontoon

where did you find my graduation photo?
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick_Pontoon

And another! Joe turned my Hulk 181 CGC 6.0 into a 7.0
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector Ray private msg quote post Address this user
I have used CFP before and they did a wonderful job. However they don't do dry cleaning (do they?).

Thanks for the feedback!

Ray
Post 44 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
However they don't do dry cleaning (do they?)

Yes, he does
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
I have used CFP before and they did a wonderful job. However they don't do dry cleaning (do they?).

Thanks for the feedback!

Ray

I don't charge extra for it, it is included in the price for the pressing.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray

www.monstahonline.com

Thanks,
Ray

When most people first meet me they think I am sitting down, I assure you I am standing up.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray

www.monstahonline.com

Thanks,
Ray

When most people first meet me they think I am sitting down, I assure you I am standing up.

And he has a sense of humor!
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray

www.monstahonline.com

Thanks,
Ray

I dry clean/press (as needed) my own books before subbing them.

In the past, I have used CFP, have not used Cicconi but would be comfortable suggesting her services.

The only pressing services I have previously used were CCS and CFP.

Results with both of those companies were solid.

If I had to suggest either CCS or CFP to someone who was looking for dry cleaning/pressing services, I would suggest Joe at CFP over CCS.

I believe Joe/CFP and CCS both perform excellent work so there is no diffetence in quality of work performed, between tge two.But on a personal note, I have talked to Joe over the phone on several occasions and he's a very personable & friendly guy so I'd rather give my business to him than CCS.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector matterus023 private msg quote post Address this user
Also Trace Heft from http://www.eclipsepaper.com is worth considering.

I have only used his servie once. But he is very friendly and professional. Many others would vouch for him I am sure
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector Sqeggs private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Are you sure ?

A lot of the old label purchasers are typically buying them for one of two reasons (maybe both).

1) They think the books were graded more strictly in the early days of the cgc and therefore they can receive a grade bump by cracking the book out, having it pressed, and submitted again for grading.

2) They think that since the book is an old label book that it has a higher likelihood of not having been pressed. This benefits the crack and press crew as well as those who do not want to pressed books in their collection.

I'm sure there are other reasons as well, but these two seem to be the most prominent.

Given that people seem to have been buying up apparently undergraded old label books for a long while now, I actually have the opposite reaction when I see a higher-dollar old label book up for auction: What's wrong with it?
Post 51 IP   flag post
596795 51 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?