Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Restoration and ConservationComics Silver AgeQuestions

Dry-cleaning and pressing339

Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
I've been doing some research on the comic dry-cleaning and pressing frontier. Found a few places through searches and definitely seems worth sending in some key books.

Has anyone had experience with sending in slabbed books to have dry-cleaned and pressed, then send off to CGC/CBCS? There's usually a de-slabbing fee but does the whole grading process again as in, pay the fees etc.?

My guess is "yes" but just seeing if anyone's had experience with this particular process/situation.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
If you want the book graded afterwards, yes
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, you will be paying all the regular fees for regrading in addition to the dry cleaning and pressing fees. If you are cracking any yellow label books, make sure you send the books to an authorized witness presser first so they can crack and press and resubmit for you to keep the yellow label. There are a few of them, CFPcomics and Avery pressing are two that i have used personally and are solid!
Post 3 IP   flag post
@The_Watcher @RyanHicks

OK great! Thanks a lot for answering my question. I have a few key books i'd like to get dry cleaned and pressed but theyre slabbed unfortunately. Bummer to do the whole process again for the same books... oh well.

i'll check out your recommendations @RyanHicks thanks again!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Averycomicpressing private msg quote post Address this user
Yes Ryan is correct. You will have to pay for the book to be graded again. Also Ryan is correct if it is a signature series it must be opened by a authorized witness/ presser. If you have any question please feel free to contact me. Prices, process, ect.

https://m.facebook.com/Avery-Comic-Pressing-LLC-1704132569813936/
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityG
There's usually a de-slabbing fee...

Who charges a de-slabbing fee?
Post 6 IP   flag post
i checked out hero www.herorestoration.net and they charge a $5 de-slabbing fee. Is it industry standard?
Post 7 IP   flag post
my company also charges $5 to open a slab
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Jayzer private msg quote post Address this user
CFP comics does NOT charge a fee. They have been excellent to work with.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Here are my prices for cleaning and pressing. If you have any questions feel free to message me anytime.

http://testparamedic.businesscatalyst.com/comic-submission.html
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
i checked out hero www.herorestoration.net and they charge a $5 de-slabbing fee. Is it industry standard?

Quote:
my company also charges $5 to open a slab

Wow, that seems ridiculous. A person is paying to have a book pressed. How are you going to press a slabbed book if you don't crack it out of the slab? You gotta be kidding me that the pressing price doesn't include getting the book out of the slab.

Is this $5 a book or $5 an invoice?
Post 11 IP   flag post
In my case, I slabbed a few key books w/o considering pressing services (not recommended) and also b/c collectors send in un-slabbed books prior to slabbing (recommended).
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
Hysterical, "de-slabbing fee" the temerity. Well, to quote P.T. Barnum...
Post 13 IP   flag post
President SteveBorock private msg quote post Address this user
I know for a fact that Joe at CFP does not charge a fee for taking books out of a slab.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBorock
I know for a fact that Joe at CFP does not charge a fee for taking books out of a slab.

As it should be.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiot
Hysterical, "de-slabbing fee" the temerity. Well, to quote P.T. Barnum...

Good word - temerity. The gall, the nerve, the audacity!
Post 16 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Thanks Steve. I also want to add that there are no additional fees for dropping your books off at CBCS. They go from the presses to the graders without the hassle of having to be sent through the mail.

Charging to crack out a slab? Really? What's next? A fee for the paperwork?

Here is a list of my fees (no hidden costs)

http://www.cfpcomics.com/Services
Post 17 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Here is what a proper press can do to even a frankenbook.

Before.

Post 18 IP   flag post
And after.

Post 19 IP   flag post
KUNG FU PANNDA greggy private msg quote post Address this user
Joey has pressed close to 5000 of my books over the last 7 some odd years. His prices is all inclusive with includes dry cleaning, cracking out the book, etc.

I would highly recommend him.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Well I guess I'll have to think over my pricing again and concider removing the charge. I apreciate the opinions about the extra charge. I do know some companies do and some do not charge the extra.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector gary_k private msg quote post Address this user
Yup , No fee as well for my business, lets face it it really only takes a couple mins if you know what your doing.

I just cracked my first NEW CGC slab yesterday BTW .... imo they are aweful and the film they use was stuck to the cover. Not air tite at all in fact id think reslabing would need to be sooner rather than later. sounds like a money grab by them.

Thank goodness ive chosen CBCS for my books.

www.impressivecomicbooks.com if ya wanna look at options for pressing
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_k
I just cracked my first NEW CGC slab yesterday BTW .... Not air tite at all in fact id think reslabing would need to be sooner rather than later. sounds like a money grab by them.

You want your slabs to be air-tight?

Why would you have to re-slab "sooner" (however long that is)? Why is it a money grab?
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Quote:

Thanks Steve. I also want to add that there are no additional fees for dropping your books off at CBCS. They go from the presses to the graders without the hassle of having to be sent through the mail.

Charging to crack out a slab? Really? What's next? A fee for the paperwork?

Here is a list of my fees (no hidden costs)

http://www.cfpcomics.com/Services

I also wanted to add your books are insured the whole time they are with me for damage or loss/theft. They are also insured while being driven to CBCS. Once at CBCS their insurance policy takes over. Additionally I have policies that cover everything, even UPS, FedEx and USPS. All at no additional cost to the customer. I consider them to be part of doing business.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Yes that's a good point to make and very important when you are choosing a person to work on your books. We also have insurance that will cover, Fire, theft, water damaged, any issue during travel and also had any comic convention for any type of signings for any of these issues. It also includes ups, usps, and Fedex shipping as well.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton
Quote:
I just cracked my first NEW CGC slab yesterday BTW .... Not air tite at all in fact id think reslabing would need to be sooner rather than later. sounds like a money grab by them.

Why would you have to re-slab "sooner" (however long that is)? Why is it a money grab?

Well, actually I think airtight or close to might have merit. While slabbed comis were never intended to be dunked into the bathtub, they would in fact survive it. Or rather CGC old slabs would. There are plenty of stories of Comic collections in the bedroom ruined by the fire dept putting out a fire in the kitchen. Everything soaked. Except the slabbed books. The sealed inner kept books dry.CBCS solution of an inner well material that is just a bit more gas permeable than the Barex used by CGC and PGX probably close to ideal compromise. That no inner well thing is causing a bunch of appearance problems for CGC, and the Con c not being sealed raises the risk of damage from say a leaking roof or the aforementioned fire dept dousing of books.

Money grab not fair.CGC has to get away from Barex, it is no longer being manufactured. And they needed to spiff up their case for competive reasons. But it has NOT been a great product roll out for them
Post 26 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I could see moisture/condensation as a problem if slabs were air tight. I remember one such collector who kept his graded books in a somewhat air tight safe and ended up with rusty staples.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:
Quote:

Well, actually I think airtight or close to might have merit. While slabbed comis were never intended to be dunked into the bathtub, they would in fact survive it. Or rather CGC old slabs would. There are plenty of stories of Comic collections in the bedroom ruined by the fire dept putting out a fire in the kitchen. Everything soaked. Except the slabbed books. The sealed inner kept books dry.CBCS solution of an inner well material that is just a bit more gas permeable than the Barex used by CGC and PGX probably close to ideal compromise. That no inner well thing is causing a bunch of appearance problems for CGC, and the Con c not being sealed raises the risk of damage from say a leaking roof or the aforementioned fire dept dousing of books.

Money grab not fair.CGC has to get away from Barex, it is no longer being manufactured. And they needed to spiff up their case for competive reasons. But it has NOT been a great product roll out for them

Why not keep them in the bags companies like Hot Flips provide? While not the prettiest to look at, it would help in the case of a flood or water damage.
Post 28 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Have you ever tried to vacuum seal a slab?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector gary_k private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

not air tight , but not loose in plastic either , the inner sleeves were sealed were they not ?

the standard reslab time frame was 7 years before with the chamber paper and sealed inner seal... im just taking a stab that the proper time to reslab your books would now be shorter.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600736 51 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?