Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop Culture

Marvel Heroes to stop selling Fantastic Four3335

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
So the hit mobile game, Marvel Heroes, has stated that they will soon stop selling most Fantastic Four related items and ceasing related in-game unlocks

So a mobile game is probably of little interest to anyone and further troubles with the Fantastic Four brand is no surprise after the cancellation of their comics lines and the frigid reception of the most recent movie. Rumors continue to persist that this is part of Marvel's way to make the IP less attractive to current movie rights-holder, Fox, in an effort to bring the movie rights back to Marvel.

There were similar rumors of Marvel pursuing a similar tactic, killing Logan (though conveniently spawning two other Wolverines to fill the void) and seemingly proping up their other genetically superior set of characters, the Inhumans, at the expense of the X-Men, which Fox also holds the movie rights to. Clearly that didn't work for X-Men as Fox continues to release critically and/or commercially successful movies under that brand, with plans to expand further in the coming years.

Fantastic Four has been another matter, however. After two lukewarm film releases, Fox recently tried to reboot the franchise to critical and commercial failure.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
There's rumors Marvel wants FF back (or a co-op deal) so they can reboot them into the next phase of the MCU, just like they have done with Spider-Man and Sony.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user

The Fantastic Four is a horrible book. It just has a great villain in it. If you look at the concept of a team...smart stretchy guy, an invisible psionic woman, a rock guy, and a flame guy who is a dick who team up and battle intergalactic races.

Kind of sounds like a team that Liefeld would have come up with and called Team Deadblood when he was in his hay day at Image, doesn't it? You know it does. That's how lame the team is.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I like that the F4's powers are opposite their strong points

Scientist (rigid, mathematical) is loose and flacid
Beautiful Lady you can't see
Dude with a heart of gold is rock
Cool Guy is hot fire
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
This is the kind of stuff that turns me off Marvel a bit. Their business practices are pretty harsh. I think its been an open secret for awhile they were crippling F4 b/c of the movie rights issue. I'd heard that they were pushing Inhumans over X-men for the same reason, but I don't follow Marvel close enough to see if X-men really is getting the same step-child treatment.
Post 5 IP   flag post
If you have an invisible woman on your team, pretend she is invisible when she isn't and pretend you can see her when she is.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
There's been talk of Fox developing a "Kid-friendly" reboot to the F4 movies. Apparently there's already a draft floating around some c-suites that focuses on Valeria and Franklin
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaxx35
I'd heard that they were pushing Inhumans over X-men for the same reason, but I don't follow Marvel close enough to see if X-men really is getting the same step-child treatment.

It was a year or two ago bow but a major narrative in the Marvel universe at the time was that the Terrigen Mists spreading over the Earth awoke an Inhuman's powers and killed mutants.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaxx35
I'd heard that they were pushing Inhumans over X-men for the same reason, but I don't follow Marvel close enough to see if X-men really is getting the same step-child treatment.

It was a year or two ago bow but a major narrative in the Marvel universe at the time was that the Terrigen Mists spreading over the Earth awoke an Inhuman's powers and killed mutants.

Sounds like The Ten Commandments' movie depiction of the death of the firstborns.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Not a huge point but it's a computer game, not a mobile game. Also, I'm surprised Marvel hasn't been sued yet if it truly is attempting to devalue the franchise in any way.

Although Marvel conceivably has the right to exercise creative control, a lawsuit would likely be at the ready by Fox if it could be claimed that Marvel is attempting to make FF less attractive to consumers and hence Fox.

Only time will tell.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Fox would have to prove Marvel has done more damage to the property than they have themselves.

Post 11 IP   flag post
600858 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?