Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

What Do You Use To Seal Your Mylar?3331

Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
What do you guys use to seal your mylar sleeves? I'm looking for more than the obvious "tape" response. I read my books fairly frequently and I am looking for something to keep the flaps secure but also will allow me to open and close the flaps without any damage to the mylar or closure item.

So far I have tried:

Scotch Tape Horizontally - tape just rips and is not reusable - a pain in the butt to try and remove the shredded pieces from the flap

Scotch Tape Vertically - this worked once but again ripped and had little pieces stuck to the flap

White Vertical Stickers - secures well, looks great but rips in half when trying to open

White Circle Stickers - again looks great, secures well but rips in half when opening flap.

Double Sided Tape - Looks very nice (clear) holds well, can only use about twice as the sticky is so strong it bends the flap all to hell when trying to open.

Velcro - Same problems as the double sided tape. The velcro is so strong that by time you open the flap it is all mangled. Also, the velcro sticks out some and can possible leave imprints on books behind it.

Any ideas on a nice clean looking adhesive that would allow me to open the flaps repeatedly without damaging the flap or leaving bits of torn pieces behind? The two different white tabs claimed to be re-usable but they were not.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Relaxin89 private msg quote post Address this user
I absolutely love these https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002QGAF8S/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498649562&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=ultra+pro+resealable&dpPl=1&dpID=51RVQ8zZUdL&ref=plSrch.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Grayspeedster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxin89
I absolutely love these https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002QGAF8S/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498649562&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=ultra+pro+resealable&dpPl=1&dpID=51RVQ8zZUdL&ref=plSrch.

I'm sure OP appreciates the link as much as I do. But unfortunately those are poly bags, Mylar are not available as resealable from BCW.

I too would like an intuitive solution to this constant dilemma.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Relaxin89 private msg quote post Address this user
@Grayspeedster Your right, good catch. Still my favorite bag out there.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Grayspeedster Your right, good catch. Still my favorite bag out there.

Best poly bag hands down!
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
I use those bags. With two small pieces of scotch tape vertically at the ends. Seems to work fine
Post 6 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Did someone say seal?

Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Hexigore private msg quote post Address this user
I read somewhere that if you put a "buddy-tab" on the tape, it makes it so much easier to open and reseal without tearing the tape or bag.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine
I use those bags. With two small pieces of scotch tape vertically at the ends. Seems to work fine

It's a resealable bag so I'm not understanding the use of tape? Are you mixing up resealable poly with regular poly or do you actually tape a resealable poly? If the latter, would you care to elaborate why?
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I had a comic come in the mail shipped in one of those, and loved it! Immediately ordered a few packs. No more tape

I have officialy ABANDONED Mylite2s after trying them for 6 months. The edge of the mylar is so sharp that I have now cut into two golden age book covers putting them in. If the smallest chip on the cover catches the mylar, it will zip through an old book like a razor knife.
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I'm just shocked that I just read the word Velcro in this thread.
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexigore
I read somewhere that if you put a "buddy-tab" on the tape, it makes it so much easier to open and reseal without tearing the tape or bag.
This is what I do also scotch tape with a folded over tab and then the tape becomes reusable over and over. I've seen where people use the sticky dots never a fan of them and you can buy tape with the tab already there.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:

I had a comic come in the mail shipped in one of those, and loved it! Immediately ordered a few packs. No more tape

I have officialy ABANDONED Mylite2s after trying them for 6 months. The edge of the mylar is so sharp that I have now cut into two golden age book covers putting them in. If the smallest chip on the cover catches the mylar, it will zip through an old book like a razor knife.

Thinking about doing this myself just for how easy they are to use and how much time they save.
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
not to derail the thread, but... CBCS uses resealable bags that are much like the Ultra-Pro bags (except a lot thinner).

Anyone know where to get them, or a resealable slab bag similar?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Resalable mylar would be awesome, why hasn't anyone done this yet?
Post 15 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Did someone say Velcro?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector vacaboca private msg quote post Address this user
Personally, I use Scotch Removable Tape, a single diagonal piece in the center... and then I score the top of the mylar (in my case, usually Mylites+, but I do use Mylites 2 for higher end books) front and back with my fingernail. I find that having the tape diagonally allows me to easily slide my finger under the flap (from the right, toward the tape slanted down and to the left, like /) and easily unseal the tape. I then either remove it, set it aside and re-use it, or simply replace it when I re-seal the book.

I've been using this stuff for about a little over a year... I don't open my books that often, but when I do I find that this stuff is MUCH easier to deal with than most other kinds of tape I run across. It's sticky enough to solidly seal, but doesn't pull or fight me when I want to unseal things.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector ONLINE_209 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
I'm just shocked that I just read the word Velcro in this thread.
lol
Post 18 IP   flag post
Things from Another World (tfaw.com) use round stickers with their logo that are just the right amount of sticky. I wish they sold those by the roll. Lol
Post 19 IP   flag post
no joke i bought some books off ebay and they used packing tape to seal their books
Post 20 IP   flag post
@ONLINE_209 that grinds my gears!
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector OpiePride private msg quote post Address this user
I like using blue painters tape. It's not perfect, but it holds well, plus usually removes fairly easy without tearing up the bags.
Post 22 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Duct tape is worse. Seriously.
Post 23 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpiePride
I like using blue painters tape. It's not perfect, but it holds well, plus usually removes fairly easy without tearing up the bags.

I agree. I have been using blue painters tape on my Mylites2 and on Ultra Pro polybags for almost 2 years. A 4" to 5" horizontal piece of tape will hold the Mylites2 closed quite well, while one (centered) or two 1.5" to 2" vertical piece(s) will work great on a polybag. The tape comes off clean and easy and can be reused several times.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Painters tape is a brilliant idea. I might start using that.

Personally, I had abandoned taping my bags. I fold the flap between the comic and board. Then, my more expensive books go in toploaders.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
We just had this thread not too long ago. I remember The Bronze Age kid was telling us about the 5 pieces of tape he uses on the back.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Shh, don't say his name...he's like Candyman, or Biggie Smalls.
Post 27 IP   flag post

Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector vabchgent private msg quote post Address this user
Gorilla Glue for the perfect seal every time.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabchgent
Gorilla Glue for the perfect seal every time.
now that is just bananas
Post 30 IP   flag post
598062 39 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?