Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector keefriffhards private msg quote post Address this user
Everyone's dream is to go to some flea market, and find a pile of half rotted comics and after digging through 52 Donald Duck comics (no insult to Donald) and a couple Captain America Jr's with not back covers you suddenly come across two Amazing Fantasy #15's and the lady at the booth says they're 50 cents each...
Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by keefriffhards
Everyone's dream is to go to some flea market, and find a pile of half rotted comics and after digging through 52 Donald Duck comics (no insult to Donald) and a couple Captain America Jr's with not back covers you suddenly come across two Amazing Fantasy #15's and the lady at the booth says they're 50 cents each...

I had a similar experience with copper age books.

For 50 cents each I got New Mutants 98 (graded out at 9.6), New Mutants 87 (graded out a 9.6), New Mutants 86, Wolverine and Hulk 1 and a couple others.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
They are out there.....and it only takes you to find them!

I have also had the opportunity to be a part of these gem finds.

And man-o-man....what a feeling that was!!

Ecstatic would be understating the moment when I found a GL #40, Mickey Mouse Almanac #1 (1959), and a ASM #2......in a lot of many SA books (all graded to about 2.0-3.0 with a few being a bit better.)

But it was a great day!!

;o)
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
I need an experience like this in my life. Definitely "the Dream"
Post 4 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Speaking of the "the Dream" who else has seen Comic Book Villains?

Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Jaydknight private msg quote post Address this user
Definitely every comic book collectors dream! Still hoping for a big one like that. I've found a few modern books valued upwards of $50-80 that I grabbed for cover price in some bins, but nothing like a common grail piece.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos

What is this "Comic Book Villains" you speak of?
Post 7 IP   flag post
This?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0287969/

Have not seen it
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos
Quote:

What is this "Comic Book Villains" you speak of?

Trailer
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Thanatos You should check it out.
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Pro-tip: If you ever do come across a find, shut off your conscience, make the deal, and walk away. Secure the book, and if you then feel guilty, go back and hand the person a few extra bucks. Because if you try to be the nice guy before you have the book, you will lose the book.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Pro-tip: If you ever do come across a find, shut off your conscience, make the deal, and walk away. Secure the book, and if you then feel guilty, go back and hand the person a few extra bucks. Because if you try to be the nice guy before you have the book, you will lose the book.

+1,000,000
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:

Big "IF" but I will take this advice to heart.

@drchaos This movie looks awful and totally up my alley!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos
Quote:

Big "IF" but I will take this advice to heart.

@drchaos This movie looks awful and totally up my alley!

Required viewing for anyone in the hobby.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:

SOOOOO TRUE!!

I was wearing sunglasses when I found the ASM #2...and my eyes would have given my enthusiasm away and probably would have been charged more than the $.25 he suggested.

FYI - the book was ripped all the way through all pages, but the cover was not and only had minor tears and chipping.
Post 15 IP   flag post
"Comic Book Villians"

Hmmm.....looks like it will go directly to video!

:o)
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
"Comic Book Villians"

Hmmm.....looks like it will go directly to video!

:o)

I believe it did but if you are into comics you will thank yourself after watching it.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Zombiebigfoot private msg quote post Address this user
Last month I was able to come across some gems - GL #'s 13 & 72 and Action Comics #249. It was exactly like @ZosoRocks said, if it wasn't for my sunglasses hiding the excitement in my eyes the price would've been jacked up. Of course I immediately scooped them up! A couple of weeks later I headed out to MC3 (Motor City Comic Con) & had them sent in for grading. I'm expecting them back in late Aug. to early Sep. and will add the scans of them to my profile. Or another 'dreaming' forum, whichever comes first.
🤘🏻😆🤘🏻
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I bought about 30 "Hot" modern comics over several months in the 90's for $3-$10 a piece and then traded for a Good copy of AF #15. While it's not the same as getting one for 50 cents, that's close enough to being a dream to me.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector ONLINE_209 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

very cool movie
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector keefriffhards private msg quote post Address this user
That movie looks like a good watch... break out some jiffy pop... this is sort of like Indiana Jones but with Comic Books and no giant rolling rock.. oh, and the poker face suggestion when purchasing is a good idea....
Post 21 IP   flag post
600892 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?