Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver AgeQuestions

Ebay Dreaming3313

COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Pro-tip: If you ever find a seller who has accepted best offers from you more than once move them to the top of your favorite person list. They will remember you are a good buyer and keep accepting good offers.

#ComicsForChristmas
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
So if someone is selling a comic for $3,000 or best offer what would happen if I offered $2,000?

What would be a good offer to make on a comic book they are selling for $1,000 or best offer that would have a decent chance of acceptance keeping in mind my bargain bin bozo mentality? $500 would be too low?

Depends on what the market is.

If the last sale on ebay was $2,700 and the buyer is asking $3,000 it is likely that offering $2,000 could be considered an insult (maybe an offer of $2,500 would at least get a counter).

If the last sale on ebay was $1,800 and the buyer is asking $3,000 an offer of $2,000 seems more appropriate.

In either case an offer of $1,000 might get you blocked by the seller.

Seller should go into their eBay settings and impute the minimum that they are willing to accept and decline all offers below that number. Sellers that get self-righteous about offers they feel are too low shouldn't complain if they haven't taken the time to set a minimum. If they don't do that they they are saying send me any offer and I'll look it over. If they do set a minimum then they never see offers below what they feel is either a sale or a place to start a back and forth upon.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@Towmater All of my listings are buy it now without best offer.

I still get PMs on ebay with offers anyway.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:

That's out of bounds. I'd message them back and let them know that attempting to deal outdside of eBay is a violation of eBay policy, I enjoy selling on their platform, and I have to decline. That usually works and they stop.
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:
Ebay dreaming seems to be a two way street.

I have a copy of Star Wars #42 CBCS 9.6 listed for sale in my Ebay store.

The asking price was $165 and someone sent me a message with an offer of $135. When I looked up the latest sales in GPA the last sale was $220 with a 12 month average of $194 and a 90 day average of $201.

Considering the latest sales and the upcoming move I increased the asking price to $200.

No matter how low a book is priced, some buyers seem to feel that they should still get a 20% discount on the asking price.

That's generally why I buy most of my books at auction. Most of the time I get books for less than the going rate by about that much if not more.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING LETTING PEOPLE IN ON THE SECRET. I agree 100 fold auction buying is the best way to land books at close to market or below there is. With all the good auction houses that's where I get most of my higher end stuff. Just be patient and most stuff shows up sooner or later. I usually turn to ebay when I'm bottom feeding or shopping on the cheap.
Post 30 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
I can only imagine the nightmare it could be trying to
sell off my collection...

Marty Mann
Marty I wouldn't worry about selling your collection. When you decide it's time for it to hit the market they will sale.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector keefriffhards private msg quote post Address this user
It's about patience.. ok, just looked in my patience bag... ain't got any... but... waiting for the right book can take time... I just looked up a book I wanted and 3 just sold at auction a few days ago. I just missed it!!! Don't you hate that?
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
Quote:
Quote:

The asking price was $165 and someone sent me a message with an offer of $135. When I looked up the latest sales in GPA the last sale was $220 with a 12 month average of $194 and a 90 day average of $201.

Considering the latest sales and the upcoming move I increased the asking price to $200.

No matter how low a book is priced, some buyers seem to feel that they should still get a 20% discount on the asking price.

That's generally why I buy most of my books at auction. Most of the time I get books for less than the going rate by about that much if not more.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING LETTING PEOPLE IN ON THE SECRET. I agree 100 fold auction buying is the best way to land books at close to market or below there is. With all the good auction houses that's where I get most of my higher end stuff. Just be patient and most stuff shows up sooner or later. I usually turn to ebay when I'm bottom feeding or shopping on the cheap.

You can pick up copper and modern comics that have been slabbed for less than it cost to buy raw copies and then slab them yourself much of the time. I agree totally that you just have to have patience and set a top end on what you want to spend. As long as it isn't the current flavor of the month you can generally find several books under what you thought you buy them at.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Some sellers totally ignore Best Offers if they don't like them.. I always feel they are out in some field BBQ'ing.. talk about patience... that is also the best way to sell your books for the most money, but I get a bit insulted when they ignore me... I always write back within an hour or two, and tell the person "I would love to accept your offer but I paid XXX for this book so have to keep waiting".. then they come up, but not enough.
Post 34 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

That's out of bounds. I'd message them back and let them know that attempting to deal outdside of eBay is a violation of eBay policy, I enjoy selling on their platform, and I have to decline. That usually works and they stop.

You misunderstood.

They are still making offers to buy the book through ebay, they are just using Ebay messages to do so because my listings do not allow them to make a best offer.

Nothing I do in the settings will prevent anyone from sending me an Ebay message with an offer (good or bad).
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by keefriffhards
Some sellers totally ignore Best Offers if they don't like them.. I always feel they are out in some field BBQ'ing.. talk about patience... that is also the best way to sell your books for the most money, but I get a bit insulted when they ignore me... I always write back within an hour or two, and tell the person "I would love to accept your offer but I paid XXX for this book so have to keep waiting".. then they come up, but not enough.

I usually respond to offers in part because it gives me the opportunity to educate the buyer using GPA data to help them understand why my prices make sense and why their offer is not acceptable.

If the last three sales of the book were over $240 there is no reason why an offer of $180 would be acceptable.

----------------
With that said, if you want to get ignored do not make an actual offer but just ask "would you go any lower?". Buyers love it when you do that.
Post 36 IP   flag post
@drchaos offers on non offer listings is bad manners if nothing else. Lol
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
So if someone is selling a comic for $3,000 or best offer what would happen if I offered $2,000?

What would be a good offer to make on a comic book they are selling for $1,000 or best offer that would have a decent chance of acceptance keeping in mind my bargain bin bozo mentality? $500 would be too low?

Depends on what the market is.

If the last sale on ebay was $2,700 and the buyer is asking $3,000 it is likely that offering $2,000 could be considered an insult (maybe an offer of $2,500 would at least get a counter).

If the last sale on ebay was $1,800 and the buyer is asking $3,000 an offer of $2,000 seems more appropriate.

In either case an offer of $1,000 might get you blocked by the seller.

Seller should go into their eBay settings and impute the minimum that they are willing to accept and decline all offers below that number. Sellers that get self-righteous about offers they feel are too low shouldn't complain if they haven't taken the time to set a minimum. If they don't do that they they are saying send me any offer and I'll look it over. If they do set a minimum then they never see offers below what they feel is either a sale or a place to start a back and forth upon.

Right on, right on!
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego

It slows down the offers but the bold ones keep trying.

Usually the ones with the cajones to make these offers are at least in the ballpark.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I disagree - doesn't hurt to ask.

All of my listings are Buy it Now or Best Offer, and I get some idiots who offer pennies on the dollar, so I counter them pennies below my ask. Once in a while if someone offering doesn't get it I'll increase my counter instead of come down to meet them. That doesn't usually end well (for the buyer).

I usually move realistic offers to messaging (on eBay of course) so that we can discuss the price like civilized people. There I can explain why I am asking what I am asking and they can make reasonable offers based on the information I give them.

And I do have one book that I bought on eBay for $330, got pressed and graded, and is now up for sale for $2,000. Last recorded sale was $1,650 in 2014, my copy's cover is straight and doesn't have a date stamp on it, its a rare GA book, and very hard to find in higher grade (8.5), and I'll take less than ask (but of course would rather get full ask!).
Post 40 IP   flag post
Offers that are unrealistically low is even worse manners.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Offers that are unrealistically low is even worse manners.

I guess I'm rude then. I'm polite in my message to sellers and thank them for their time and consideration of the offers I send. However, most of the time my offers start at 1/2 the buy it now price. If someone doesn't like it and blocks me; I could care less. Lots of sellers, lots of books, and I'll never get around to them all.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Stay classy ebay!

Here is my last exchange from an offer I turned down today:

Buyer

I can do $135 on this and pay asap

Thanks for your time!

Seller (Me)

Thanks for the offer but the book is worth more.

The last copy in this grade sold for $220.00.

I raised the price to $200.00.

Buyer

eat it
Post 43 IP   flag post
A fair offer is always best... but what might lead to the poor offers with no brains is also the crazy Buy It Now's some sellers put up..
Post 44 IP   flag post
Maybe it is to get it first in line for the search...
Post 45 IP   flag post
OK... there is a Detective Comics #37, CGC 8.5 on eBay now, listed at $99,500.00... which makes no sense, since the comicsmv site has a sale in 2009 of an 8.5 for $8962.50... so the sellers feels that book went up 1110% in 8 years
Post 46 IP   flag post
@keefriffhards another way to look at it would be...it took 8 years for another copy to come to market = extremely HTF. Now the seller may very well be shooting for the moon, but when you hold all the cards it might pay off. If another copy pops tomorrow then he'll probably drop his ask, but until then, what does a collector do? Pay or wait. And MCS has a front and back cover only with half the front cover missing asking $1490.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Stay classy ebay!

Here is my last exchange from an offer I turned down today:

Buyer

I can do $135 on this and pay asap

Thanks for your time!

Seller (Me)

Thanks for the offer but the book is worth more.

The last copy in this grade sold for $220.00.

I raised the price to $200.00.

Buyer

eat it

Tastes great!

That's what you should have said.
Post 48 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
OK... there is a Detective Comics #37, CGC 8.5 on eBay now, listed at $99,500.00... which makes no sense, since the comicsmv site has a sale in 2009 of an 8.5 for $8962.50... so the sellers feels that book went up 1110% in 8 years

Some sellers just want to show they are holding a book hostage by asking an exorbitant ransom be paid to free it from their clutches.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:

This is wherr you have it all wrong.

There was a CGC 7.5 that sold for more than $38K in 2015. There was also a lower grade sale CGC 6.0 that sold for more than $21K in 2016.

It doesn't matter at this point if the seller paid ten bucks. Right now the absolute floor on the book is $40K.

Considering the scarcity of the book (third highest graded), $99K does not sound unreasonable.

Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
Quote:
Quote:

Someone overpaid for the X-Force 11 9.8 book during the Comic Link auction last night. It went for 120.00 + 3% (if paying by credit card) and the shipping cost. There was a copy on eBay that shipped for free and was priced $13.00 cheaper. Also, there were a couple of Buy It Now/Make Offer books too.

I guess someone got caught up in the moment.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:

Someone overpaid for the X-Force 11 9.8 book during the Comic Link auction last night. It went for 120.00 + 3% (if paying by credit card) and the shipping cost. There was a copy on eBay that shipped for free and was priced $13.00 cheaper. Also, there were a couple of Buy It Now/Make Offer books too.

I guess someone got caught up in the moment.

Could have been paying a premium due to Comic Link being a more reputable seller.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Generally at auction you seem to have a chance to either get a steal or get caught up in the moment... I'm waiting for my next auction right now...
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
I can only imagine the nightmare it could be trying to
sell off my collection...

Marty Mann

I'll save you the headache and reimburse you full cover price.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
I've made many offers on ebay on books without the best offer feature and have been successful in negotiating a price that the seller and I could live with. Usually, the seller will simply change the BIN price and I'll have to check out before someone else does. Don't knock it until you try it!
Post 55 IP   flag post
600905 64 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?