Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver AgeQuestions

Ebay Dreaming3313

Collector keefriffhards private msg quote post Address this user
I notice that people buy a comic.. say for $600, then put it on eBay for $2000. You make an offer at $600, so they counter offer you for $1900. Then nothing happens. It sits there, waiting for a person who will pay way more than it is worth. It's the tease. There is one on eBay now.. I really want it.. but I'm not paying the person 10 or 20% over the highest price paid on record on the COmicsmv site. I wonder sometimes if some people buy a comic just to do this.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
I've put up a comic that I didn't really want to sell at a ridiculous price before. Once or twice they have actually sold.

Other times I have been on the other end and paid double or triple what a comic was "worth" because it meant a lot to me or it does not come along often.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
How long ago was the last recorded sale? They may be hoping to tip the market upward if the book doesn't come to market often then really what it is worth can only be the point at which what a buyer is willing to pay meets what the owner is willing to take.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Another likely scenario is the person has bought a book they love and are only willing to let it go at a certain price.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
People can ask whatever they want. Doesn't mean they'll get what they ask. Maybe they don't really want to sell? Maybe they like having a high price comic in the listing (even if it's a pipe dream)? Maybe they are on crack?
Post 5 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by keefriffhards
I notice that people buy a comic.. say for $600, then put it on eBay for $2000. You make an offer at $600, so they counter offer you for $1900. Then nothing happens. It sits there, waiting for a person who will pay way more than it is worth. It's the tease. There is one on eBay now.. I really want it.. but I'm not paying the person 10 or 20% over the highest price paid on record on the COmicsmv site. I wonder sometimes if some people buy a comic just to do this.

Buying a comic for $600 and selling it to you for $600 before fees doesn't sound like much of a business model.

If the last sale is the highest price on record, that means the book is increasing in price and the new owner can expect to sell it for even more.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I went to the COmicsmv site.. so I see the unrestored comic went for 550, 770 and (someone lucky here) 300. They are all CGC slabbed (I still wonder who the lucky person was.. it's never me, who got it cheapest). OK, take the average .. let's say $600. Add more since soon it will be 2018.. so I put it on eBay for $750.. that is fair, I would probably buy it since when I really want a comic that I never see for sale I would do that I agree... but some people put $1000. Sometimes they get the $1000.. but it's always me as the buyer when that happens.. so I guess I have no patience and the seller does and it pays off. PS. Yes.. bad business model.. buy for $600.. sell for $600 then fees.. but I am always hoping they need to sell to get something else and (like me) understand there is a loss to be taken.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@keefriffhards you didn't say what grade these books were. Key books can have grade price gaps of $100s to $1000s.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Would also help to know exactly what book is in question.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I was focusing on Golden Age and very poor condition.. can't remember which one since I have literally been looking up 100's and doing comparisons. Now I might change my focus to Silver Age.. I am just starting to collect again. I was going to go for really poor grade Avengers #1, Fantastic 4 #1, Incredible Hulk #1, Tales of Suspense #39, X-Men #1 ... so sort of the dream Silver Age Collection but with tape and repairs and tears...
Post 10 IP   flag post
Of course taking a long time to get these... these are usually from what I read totally uncollectible except these are really rare comics so virtually a 0.5 is ok. I don't want missing back pages though, or missing pages ... coupon clipping (not sure if Silver Age had coupons) is ok...
Post 11 IP   flag post
My current focus is to get a Tales of Suspense #39...
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
@keefriffhards you may want to try the other auction houses (brick and mortar but can be accessed on the internet). I've seen those books in those conditions, but even then they command a pretty high price.

For example - yesterday there was an auction where they sold the following books (add 18% to these prices):

ASM 1 - $3000
Avengers 1 - $900
Justice League of America 1 - $800
Tales of Suspense 39 - $3600
Post 13 IP   flag post
I am looking for auctions since they give you the most honest and accurate pricing I feel.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
I am looking for auctions since they give you the most honest and accurate pricing I feel.

Unless the seller keeps shilling the price up ala our Rick and Morty thread.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector steveo76 private msg quote post Address this user
Here's the thing, forget what you think an item is worth. Just know that if something says "Best Offer" on eBay and your initial offer is less than 60% of the asking price you're going to get ignored, blocked, or a counter almost identical to the sell price.

If you have heartburn over the ask price it's probably better to just message the seller rather than put in an offer. I find that it's not productive to bother with anyone that's asking significantly more than I'm willing to pay. The reasons behind their price don't really matter. They want what they want and it's futile to try and explain to them why they should accept what you want to pay.

If you want a ToS 39, I recommend Comic Link's auctions.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I was focusing on Golden Age and very poor condition.. can't remember which one since I have literally been looking up 100's and doing comparisons. Now I might change my focus to Silver Age.. I am just starting to collect again. I was going to go for really poor grade Avengers #1, Fantastic 4 #1, Incredible Hulk #1, Tales of Suspense #39, X-Men #1 ... so sort of the dream Silver Age Collection but with tape and repairs and tears...

GA in low grade, from coverless to 3.0, typically sells for a premium.

Many GA books are not readily available on the open market, and since low grade GA (popular nooks and keys)is already relatively cheap, it will virtually always bring a premoum over the last recorded sale price.

This has been true for decades, well before CGC came around.

I remember selling a copy of the 1stt app of Starman (IIRC it was Adventure Comics #69 or #70) for double Overstreet value, in auction.

It was a FAIR copy, I bought it from JHV Associates (Joe Verenault) for 10% below his price sticker.He had it priced at Overstreet's FAIR price, which was 50% of Overstreet's GD value.I paid $400 or $450 and it sold for around $900, with the starting bid at ten cents.

I bought it knowing full well that I would get around "double guide" for the book, as soon as I put it up on eBay.

That was about 20 years ago.The only thing that has changed is that GA is even harder to find now.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Ebay dreaming seems to be a two way street.

I have a copy of Star Wars #42 CBCS 9.6 listed for sale in my Ebay store.

The asking price was $165 and someone sent me a message with an offer of $135. When I looked up the latest sales in GPA the last sale was $220 with a 12 month average of $194 and a 90 day average of $201.

Considering the latest sales and the upcoming move I increased the asking price to $200.

No matter how low a book is priced, some buyers seem to feel that they should still get a 20% discount on the asking price.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos

The asking price was $165 and someone sent me a message with an offer of $135. When I looked up the latest sales in GPA the last sale was $220 with a 12 month average of $194 and a 90 day average of $201.

Considering the latest sales and the upcoming move I increased the asking price to $200.

No matter how low a book is priced, some buyers seem to feel that they should still get a 20% discount on the asking price.

That's generally why I buy most of my books at auction. Most of the time I get books for less than the going rate by about that much if not more.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@Towmater Not every book can be found at K-Mart.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Towmater Not every book can be found at K-Mart.

I agree. Also, I agree that an automatic double digit markup on an auction win is shortsighted, half-baked, and moronic. There are lots of reasons why LCS lose business. One of my pet peeves is a LCS that attempts to stick it to their customers. There are just too many other places to find books now. If the owner is gonna stick it to their loyal customer base then they get what they deserve. Generally, that means they go out of business.
Post 21 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
I can only imagine the nightmare it could be trying to
sell off my collection...

Marty Mann
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
I can only imagine the nightmare it could be trying to
sell off my collection...

Marty Mann

Don't do it Marty!!!!!!
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo76
Here's the thing, forget what you think an item is worth. Just know that if something says "Best Offer" on eBay and your initial offer is less than 60% of the asking price you're going to get ignored, blocked, or a counter almost identical to the sell price.

If you have heartburn over the ask price it's probably better to just message the seller rather than put in an offer. I find that it's not productive to bother with anyone that's asking significantly more than I'm willing to pay. The reasons behind their price don't really matter. They want what they want and it's futile to try and explain to them why they should accept what you want to pay.

If you want a ToS 39, I recommend Comic Link's auctions.

Brings me to a question. I'm pretty much well known as the Dollar Dumpster Diva or the Bargain Bin Brutha. But lately I've seen a few comic books I really want to own and the only way to get them is to crowbar open the old lockbox wallet.

So if someone is selling a comic for $3,000 or best offer what would happen if I offered $2,000?

What would be a good offer to make on a comic book they are selling for $1,000 or best offer that would have a decent chance of acceptance keeping in mind my bargain bin bozo mentality? $500 would be too low?
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
So if someone is selling a comic for $3,000 or best offer what would happen if I offered $2,000?

What would be a good offer to make on a comic book they are selling for $1,000 or best offer that would have a decent chance of acceptance keeping in mind my bargain bin bozo mentality? $500 would be too low?

Depends on what the market is.

If the last sale on ebay was $2,700 and the buyer is asking $3,000 it is likely that offering $2,000 could be considered an insult (maybe an offer of $2,500 would at least get a counter).

If the last sale on ebay was $1,800 and the buyer is asking $3,000 an offer of $2,000 seems more appropriate.

In either case an offer of $1,000 might get you blocked by the seller.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Pro-tip: If you ever find a seller who has accepted best offers from you more than once move them to the top of your favorite person list. They will remember you are a good buyer and keep accepting good offers.

#ComicsForChristmas
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn

Depends on what the market is.

If the last sale on ebay was $2,700 and the buyer is asking $3,000 it is likely that offering $2,000 could be considered an insult (maybe an offer of $2,500 would at least get a counter).

If the last sale on ebay was $1,800 and the buyer is asking $3,000 an offer of $2,000 seems more appropriate.

In either case an offer of $1,000 might get you blocked by the seller.

Seller should go into their eBay settings and impute the minimum that they are willing to accept and decline all offers below that number. Sellers that get self-righteous about offers they feel are too low shouldn't complain if they haven't taken the time to set a minimum. If they don't do that they they are saying send me any offer and I'll look it over. If they do set a minimum then they never see offers below what they feel is either a sale or a place to start a back and forth upon.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@Towmater All of my listings are buy it now without best offer.

I still get PMs on ebay with offers anyway.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Towmater All of my listings are buy it now without best offer.

I still get PMs on ebay with offers anyway.

That's out of bounds. I'd message them back and let them know that attempting to deal outdside of eBay is a violation of eBay policy, I enjoy selling on their platform, and I have to decline. That usually works and they stop.
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:

That's generally why I buy most of my books at auction. Most of the time I get books for less than the going rate by about that much if not more.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING LETTING PEOPLE IN ON THE SECRET. I agree 100 fold auction buying is the best way to land books at close to market or below there is. With all the good auction houses that's where I get most of my higher end stuff. Just be patient and most stuff shows up sooner or later. I usually turn to ebay when I'm bottom feeding or shopping on the cheap.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601329 64 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?