Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Golden AgeComics Silver Age

Is CBCS Getting Higher Prices than CGC?3301

Collector keefriffhards private msg quote post Address this user
I just did a lot of comparisons with the same grade comics on eBay and also on the comicsmv site results over the last couple years and it seems that CBCS (with their possibly more stringent grading) is pulling more money for older comics than CGC. I was also thinking that if I buy any PGX books on eBay I might bid using one whole grade less that PGX has as a guide (for instance, if it is a PGX 5.0, I will go to comicsmv and average what a 4.0 went for recently (2017) so when I send it to CBCS and it comes back a 4.0 I am still doing great.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Not for me currently
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
GoCollect.com reports results for CGC and CBCS books that have sold on Ebay, and they show CGC books getting slightly higher prices across the board.

Of course there are exceptions here and there. And my cursory analysis shows the difference between the two companies closing.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
Last month on ComicLink this surprised me.

X-Men 1 $5,531 CGC 6.0

X-Men 1 $4,930 CBCS 6.5
Post 4 IP   flag post
Wow... I guess there are exceptions...but I agree... the gap between CGC and CBCS is closing I think...
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I think it depends on the buyer. There some (me) who will pay slightly more if necessary to acquire a book in CBCS instead of CGC when possible. Because CGC 👎
Post 6 IP   flag post
I am now looking for CBCS only... I like their slabs more and I don't want mixed bag slabs in my collection, and they just seem more precise... I think in the long run they will be the go-to place over GCG
Post 7 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despain
Last month on ComicLink this surprised me.

X-Men 1 $5,531 CGC 6.0

X-Men 1 $4,930 CBCS 6.5

it doesn't surprise me...

The CGC 6.0 copy actually has better eye appeal than the CBCS 6.5. The sun shadow along the outer edge of the FC is visually distracting.

And that is what I'm seeing with CGC vs CBCS prices. On eBay or FaceBook forums, CGC has better name recognition and will often times get better prices.

On sites that cater to more....mature collectors - like Comic Link, Comic Connect or Heritage, the better looking book brings the best price. In this case, the CGC 6.0 was better looking than the CBCS 6.5. The technical grades are probably accurate, but the eye appeal won the day
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector HOGLEG private msg quote post Address this user
As long as CBCS keeps doing what they are doing, the word should get out over time...CBCS book prices should even out with CGC book prices, if not sell for more...
Post 9 IP   flag post
I looked at the back of my just graded CBCS book and I think the info they give you on the labels makes me feel that they really know their stuff and I like it better.
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Once the census comes out we will be able to see the grading pace between the two companies. Data says that CBCS is gaining ground every month, and chances are they have taken the quantity lead.

CBCS has been in business 17.6% of that of CGC yet represents 19.4% of the current sales market share between the two

Here's some ebay data to chew on, taking into comparison the soul-less redheaded stepchild as well. This is a pretty good sample size.
- 103,716 total slabbed books for sale as of 6/27/17

CGC 82,136 79% (17 yrs in business)
CBCS 15,932 15.4% (3yrs in business)
PGX 5,648 5.4% (15yrs in business!)

I do believe that there is a direct relationship between quantity represented and sales values. CBCS is not quite there yet, but considering this data they are running at a faster speed than anyone else.

Bring on the census, I need some raw data to chew on!!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Grayspeedster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by keefriffhards
I just did a lot of comparisons with the same grade comics on eBay and also on the comicsmv site results over the last couple years and it seems that CBCS (with their possibly more stringent grading) is pulling more money for older comics than CGC. I was also thinking that if I buy any PGX books on eBay I might bid using one whole grade less that PGX has as a guide (for instance, if it is a PGX 5.0, I will go to comicsmv and average what a 4.0 went for recently (2017) so when I send it to CBCS and it comes back a 4.0 I am still doing great.

#Soon
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Wow... I guess there are exceptions...but I agree... the gap between CGC and CBCS is closing I think...

I don't think they should be considered as exceptions, because a person will pay what they feel is a good price for just about anything.

Considering that these variables are still involved:
- not the right person bidding
- not the right person bidding who is online
- out of a budget for some people
- etc...etc....

My point being is that just because one book sells for $1K, it doesn't mean all books will sell at that price.

I would also think that the average selling price on eBay may be actually lower than other comic selling auction sites.

eBAY has been known to be a "wholesale deal" place.....not always, but more often than not.

I'll have to say that comparison shopping is still a requirement and it is too early to really say who is pulling in more for the same book.

Best regards,
Post 13 IP   flag post
I notice it's all very arbitrary.. I saw one book that normally goes for 18K suddenly go for 49K... wow... lucky seller... believe me, I wasn't bidding.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I notice it's all very arbitrary.. I saw one book that normally goes for 18K suddenly go for 49K... wow... lucky seller... believe me, I wasn't bidding.

Exactly.....you really don't know how bad someone wants something, and how much they are willing to pay to get that success.

I remember I sold a Marvin Gaye "What's Going On" LP for $51.00.....but that was way after I put it out there for $8.00 - which I thought would have beent he "going price".

Come to find out, the LP was pressed at teh same location as the Promotional copies were made, thus this could be one of those rare instances that a few LPs were produced and are much harder to find than other later LA/ West Coast issues.

So my point being, people will pay what they feel is fair or the best price.

Cheers!
Post 15 IP   flag post
600860 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?