Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

Grade Opinion Wanted - Fantastic Four #523247

Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
So I swore I was not going to buy eBay raw books again, but this one got the best of me. High feedback seller (27,000+) claims no missing pages or coupons, no rusty staples, and no restoration. Please give me your grade opinion from these two pictures; click picture for larger image.

*crosses fingers*

Post 1 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Again... Impossible to grade based on a few Scans. No way to really see the cover surface or if any creases. Many times Scans of the Back of the book can be more telling.

I think it looks more in the 7.0 - 8.0 range. Lower if it has any creases or unseen surface flaws.

I also NEVER buy from a seller who is not confident enough to list an actual grade, And then I know its usually a 1/2 to full grade lower than what they say it is.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
I'd say around it definitely hits the VF mark, ~8.0. Awesome copy of #54, does it look like it would benefit from a press?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Lunarshade private msg quote post Address this user
I say 8.0 and I don't think a press would improve it just slab it. Great find.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Press and clean it. Several bends and some filth on the back cover.

After P&C, looks to be 8+ congrats!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
6.5 - 7.0
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks everyone! I picked it up for a net $400 shipped buy-it-now, and it will be a collection keeper. Therefore, I will be have it pressed and cleaned for maximum eye appeal. I'm hoping for an 8.0 after pressing and grading. I'll update this thread once it's back from CBCS.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
Thanks everyone! I picked it up for a net $400 shipped buy-it-now, and it will be a collection keeper. Therefore, I will be have it pressed and cleaned for maximum eye appeal. I'm hoping for an 8.0 after pressing and grading. I'll update this thread once it's back from CBCS.

at that price you stole it
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector thecollector1 private msg quote post Address this user
Yoiu will likely get dinged for the tanning around the edges. cover looks great - black looks amazing for this book. i would say 6.5 to 7.5.
Post 10 IP   flag post
This is why I hate eBay... I got the book in the mail yesterday, and this is what I had to send the buyer today.

Hello,

I normally send my comics off to be professionally graded in order for them (CBCS or CGC) to perform a professional restoration check for color touch, trimming, etc. In this case however, I was able to spot a problem with my naked eye. While I was preparing the comic for shipping to CBCS for grading, I took a very close look at it, and unfortunately noticed there is definite color touch restoration on the upper right of the front cover. Please look at the following two high resolution photos:

Slight variation in the black color as you move to the corner
http://i.imgur.com/0xKfMHl.jpg

Obvious bleed through of black ink on the back of the front cover
http://i.imgur.com/nd7jZ3B.jpg

It basically looks like someone took a black marker and touched up the edges to make the comic look better. I bought this comic under the premise that it was an all original copy with no restoration. As you know, restoration of any kind greatly decreases the value of a comic book. Therefore, I have to request to return this comic for a full refund. Alternatively I may accept a discount to account for this being a restored copy, but it would have to be substantial.

Regards
Post 11 IP   flag post
Would someone with GPA please look up the 12 month average for Fantastic Four #52 in 5.5 condition RESTORED? Two beers if you can post a screenshot. Thanks!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkga So bumbed for you. That color touch is SO obvious. I hope you get your refund with not much headache. Good luck man.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I had an FF 53 that looked a lot like your book.

I am pretty sure it got a 7.0 when I had it graded.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Thats def a kid with a black sharpie for ya. Damn, how could the seller not notice that, does he sell other books or was this a one-off?
Post 15 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkga

No question that book was color touched for sure.

Have you contacted the seller yet?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Have you contacted the seller yet?

Somebody didnt read the thread 😁

Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMeeSeeks

New title and forum name? Dang
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Would someone with GPA please look up the 12 month average for Fantastic Four #52 in 5.5 condition RESTORED? Two beers if you can post a screenshot. Thanks!

On Nov 2, 2015 someone paid $188 for a copy with "Restoration includes: small amount of color touch on cover". Code C-1 (from GPA).

There are multiple categories of restoration.

GPA uses the following codes A, A1, B2, C2, etc.

Does anyone know what these codes mean?
Post 19 IP   flag post
On June 12, 2017 a 5.0 copy with "Restoration includes: small amount of color touch on cover" sold for $265.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Mr_adam_R private msg quote post Address this user
7.0 - 7.5 resto
hope the seller takes care of you
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not going to give a grade because I can't decide whether to say Gem Mint 10.0 or Poor 0.5 . I don't think my answer would be well received either way.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
This is a bummer but it's still a beautiful copy.

@Darkga, perfect email to the seller.
Post 23 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:

On Nov 2, 2015 someone paid $188 for a copy with "Restoration includes: small amount of color touch on cover". Code C-1 (from GPA).

There are multiple categories of restoration.

GPA uses the following codes A, A1, B2, C2, etc.

Does anyone know what these codes mean?

Here ya go clickable text
Post 24 IP   flag post
@DarthLego

You learn something new every day.
Post 25 IP   flag post
@drchaos Thanks for the info! I may keep the book if the price is right. If not eBay takes care of buyers in cases like this.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Thats def a kid with a black sharpie for ya. Damn, how could the seller not notice that, does he sell other books or was this a one-off?

He's got 27,000+ eBay feedback and sells other books. I'm surprised he did not catch that either.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector keefriffhards private msg quote post Address this user
If this was a Comic Grading pool I would say 5.0 to 6.0... probably not make me popular and I still am learning so all I have is a gut feeling...
Post 28 IP   flag post
598062 28 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?