Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSPComics Modern AgeGrading Help Needed

J. Scott Campbell Signed Books. Open or not?3176

Collector imagejock private msg quote post Address this user
I have an X-Men Gold #1 3 cover set that is signed by the artist J. Scott Campbell and the books are actually in bags with boards sealed by Mr. Campbell and have a certificate of authenticity inside.

Should I have these graded?
Or will they lose their value once that seal is broken?

If I do have them graded because the value will not decrease, what is done with the certificate of authenticity?
How will the label look on the slab?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector verbogyrater private msg quote post Address this user
I'd keep as is. I don't think the red label is going to add much value. There's so many out there now. Actually a wave of his variants are saturating the market. If it's for personal reason then go for it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
If you grade these you will want to submit them for Signature Verification, it's a $25 fee on top of regular grading, it will get a red label that verifies the signature is real. Keep the COA with you, because CBCS doesn't take note of COAs for verification, they have experts study the actual signature.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
If you grade these you will want to submit them for Signature Verification, it's a $25 fee on top of regular grading, it will get a red label that verifies the signature is real. Keep the COA with you, because CBCS doesn't take note of COAs for verification, they have experts study the actual signature.

Thanks for the info DarthLego. I actually have two sets and I will probably send one set in. The virgin cover graded is fetching between 250-450 right now while the whole set ungraded is going for around 200-250.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
It's better to get unsigned copies on his website and then have a facilitator witness the signature for a yellow label imo his stuff is too saturated in the market now. He flooded his own market!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector LB_Buddha private msg quote post Address this user
I have also seen someone purchase the presigned books from his booth with a facilitator in order to get a yellow label too at a con before.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@LB_Buddha don't say that too loud, someone's head will explode.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_Buddha
I have also seen someone purchase the presigned books from his booth with a facilitator in order to get a yellow label too at a con before.

The presigned, or unsigned then got them signed? Because if the former that is not a real yellow label!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Drbearsec private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:

The presigned, or unsigned then got them signed? Because if the former that is not a real yellow label!

When it comes from the artists booth in sealed fashion and the witness sees it purchased as is, they count it. Both CBCS and CGC count the above scenario as yellow
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbearsec
Quote:
Quote:

When it comes from the artists booth in sealed fashion and the witness sees it purchased as is, they count it. Both CBCS and CGC count the above scenario as yellow

I bought mine from his website. What is that counted as with the seal on the bag and the certificate?
Post 10 IP   flag post
@imagejock you can't get a yellow label without a CBCS witness seeing you acquire it. The best you can get is a red label. Nothing wrong with red labels. imo
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

See. Head exploding. It has begun.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
@imagejock you can't get a yellow label without a CBCS witness seeing you acquire it. The best you can get is a red label. Nothing wrong with red labels. imo

Thanks. I'll probably make a video of me unsealing the bags and packing them to go to CBCS in case it helps with a potential buyer because I'm crazy like that. Not sure if I will sell them anyway. Just started collecting again after 25 years so I'm kind of hoarding lol. 400+ comics purchased in the last 60 days. Mix of new and a bunch of 70's, 80's 90's keys. The ones I had back in the day!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Isz_A private msg quote post Address this user
like @imagejock I quite buying comics after a burgled hobbit is and health reason (loss of income), I kept up with some stories from cbz files and now have about 20 gb of comics but I pick up a few new books every now and like the x men blue triple variant of old x men (signed and sealed) and debated this very question. I have some Dynamic Forces variants in the same scenario. I kinda got picky in what books I buy now. Mostly Silver age. something my kids can benefit.....lost that 401k during my health problems...but I agree if you slab it,it is because you like it....that part about a witness when you buy a signed copy from the booth made a mild neuronic volcano eruption...
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Drbearsec private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagejock
Quote:

Thanks. I'll probably make a video of me unsealing the bags and packing them to go to CBCS in case it helps with a potential buyer because I'm crazy like that. Not sure if I will sell them anyway. Just started collecting again after 25 years so I'm kind of hoarding lol. 400+ comics purchased in the last 60 days. Mix of new and a bunch of 70's, 80's 90's keys. The ones I had back in the day!

At least there is a red label option. Otherwise a lot of older pre grading service comics would get a qualified type label. From a resale value, at the moment, yellow seems to be higher but there is a much larger sample size. I'm guessing in the future, the yellow has about a 5-10% value above red, but that's just a guess.

I have a ton of xmen books signed by Jim Lee from the early 90s that I'm glad I can get graded if I want using the red label service.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbogyrater
I'd keep as is. I don't think the red label is going to add much value. There's so many out there now. Actually a wave of his variants are saturating the market. If it's for personal reason then go for it.

I agree. I purchased the signed Elektra set from his website, and now you can find the same set on ebay, ungraded, cheaper than what he was selling them for.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I have noticed an increase in the number of VSP red labels on eBay over the last few months. I hope that once there's greater market parity between the two services the resell value gap will get smaller as well.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector LB_Buddha private msg quote post Address this user
@DarthLego agreed. With a lot of artists starting to refuse witnessed sigs and some being exclusive with certain services, that would explain the increase. It would be nice if the value gap lessened. I'm glad there is VSP option with CBCS though because there's a lot of shady people out there I'm noticing. If I don't get the sigs myself, I'm leaning more to yellow and red labels.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector verbogyrater private msg quote post Address this user
I've learned my lesson. I'm never buying his variants unless it's less than 1000 run.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbearsec
Quote:
Quote:

This is incorrect. CBCS does not currently recognize signatures purchased from an artists booth for ASP (yellow label) unless the artist is present and they actually see the signature take place.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@TimBildhauser Thanks Tim.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Called it!
Post 22 IP   flag post
600822 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?