Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop Culture

Besides comics, what are you reading?316

Collector Kinzebac private msg quote post Address this user
I am reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I am over halfway through, and I am really enjoying it. Whether it is comics or novels, Gaiman is a really great writer imo.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Oldbsturgeon private msg quote post Address this user
The last book I read was an autobiography by Herbie Hancock, a jazz pianist, titled Possibilities
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
The Barroom Project by Larry Niven and Stephen Barnes, the second in the Dream Park scenario - totally engaging!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbsturgeon
The last book I read was an autobiography by Herbie Hancock, a jazz pianist, titled Possibilities

Was it any good? Also, I recognize you as a Batman fan from the CGC boards. What did you think of lsst issue of the New 52 run?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Huffmaster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
The Barroom Project by Larry Niven and Stephen Barnes, the second in the Dream Park scenario - totally engaging!

I will surely check into this as I love series.

Currently reading John Scalzi's "Redshirts". Had read his "Old Man's War" and enjoyed it. Just finished with the PC Peter Grant books.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO

Currently reading John Scalzi's "Redshirts". Had read his "Old Man's War" and enjoyed it. Just finished with the PC Peter Grant books.
If you like series and enjoy Niven then you should look into his "Known Space" output, the books themselves are not a series (other than that essential read of Ringworld ant it's sequels/prequels) per se but a whole universe of must reads.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Huffmaster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO

If you like series and enjoy Niven then you should look into his "Known Space" output, the books themselves are not a series (other than that essential read of Ringworld ant it's sequels/prequels) per se but a whole universe of must reads.

Thanks for the brain food. To give some back, check out Joe Abercrombie if you haven't already. His books will make you stay up too late at night and are some of my favorites.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinzebac
I am reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I am over halfway through, and I am really enjoying it. Whether it is comics or novels, Gaiman is a really great writer imo.
A great writer, story-teller and speaker. Plus almost anything of his made into movies (with the right direction that is!) is a must-see, MirrorMask is easily one of my all-time favourite movies.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
Quote:
A great writer, story-teller and speaker. Plus almost anything of his made into movies (with the right direction that is!) is a must-see, MirrorMask is easily one of my all-time favourite movies.

Love MirrorMask. Great call
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector cseale0223 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

That's a great book. His other books are really good as well.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
Ready Player One- brings back a lot of nostalgia memories from the 80's. Also heard, Steven Spielberg is having it made into a movie.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
Minds...
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector mPoore private msg quote post Address this user
I'm reading a Star Wars novel called Cloak of Deception
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector dormian private msg quote post Address this user
Half way through The Martian and just started Killing Floor.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Oldbsturgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Was it any good? Also, I recognize you as a Batman fan from the CGC boards. What did you think of lsst issue of the New 52 run?

Oh it was great. I do think to best understand some of the stuff he writes about you should be familiar with the music discussed.
He has been part of so many eras of jazz. So its really cool to see his point of view.
As for batman, 52 was a good way to end and 51 was a good way for snyder to end his run
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh it was great. I do think to best understand some of the stuff he writes about you should be familiar with the music discussed.
He has been part of so many eras of jazz. So its really cool to see his point of view.
As for batman, 52 was a good way to end and 51 was a good way for snyder to end his run

Excellent synopsis. I totally agree.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I just read the first in the Harry Hole mystery series by author Joe Nesbo. The book is called the "Bat." It was an extremely well done mystery book. I highly recommend this book for those who like mysteries.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
At the moment, Executive Orders by Tom Clancy.
Post 18 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I just unwittingly answered this in the other thread but I'm currently re-reading Crichton's Eaters of the Dead.
Post 19 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
Armada by Ernest Cline
The 47 Ronin by author I can't remember
Meditations by Marcus Aurelias
And when these are all done I will be tackling Dantes Divine Comedy
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
I’m about halfway through Rubber Balls and Liquor by Gilbert Gottfried.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector ThisLand private msg quote post Address this user
On a dystopian sci-fi kick at the moment. I just finished the "Red Rising" trilogy by Pierce Brown. About the start The Expanse series with Leviathan Wakes.
Post 22 IP   flag post
600821 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?