Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver AgeMovies TelevisionPop Culture

Adam West died3096

Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
I met Adam West twice, once as a child at an Auto Show, wearing his full TV Batman costume, and then 20 years later at a convention. Both times he had that same, gracious calmness that he has as Batman/Bruce Wayne on TV. Very sad to see him go. 'Til next time, old chum. Same bat time, same bat channel.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Adam West was a great public speaker.

I saw his panel at NYCC when the Batman TV show came out on DVD (Blue Ray?). Only panel I had time for that year but well worth it.

Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Adam West on Big Bang Theory. Who's the best "Batman"? Classic stuff.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=adam+west+on+big+bang+theory&view=detail&mid=7CE1357F0701F6259EDD7CE1357F0701F6259EDD&FORM=VIRE
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user

I met Adam once neary 28 years ago. It was the summer that Batman: The Movie (Tim Burton/Michael Keaton) hit theaters, and he was getting some attention as publically was letting everyone know he should have played the role (despite being 60).

At the time, I thought he was a nutball, but somehow the local college (10 minutes from my house) had gotten him to come to my small town and speak for one night...and somehow I scored a ticket. And to my surprise he didn't really say much about the new movie or his disgruntlement...but spoke about his personal experiences playing batman, about the cast...and although I don't remember much of that he said (I was 15), what I do remember is he just had a presence about him and a sense of humor that you gravitated towards...and even getting his autograph he just seemed so happy to be there, even as he signed my comic book (Batman 440, which he had nothing to do with)...the only thing I could think of having him sign as it was a last minute thing.

But he made that night special for me...and every time I pull this comic out with his autograph out I smile. Every time. And part of that is because he IS somewhat of a nutball...but in the best and most charming of ways.

It is sad to see he is gone. I had purchased Batman 66 with artists renditions of him and burt ward on the cover hoping to get it signed by the two at Terrificon, a mere 10 minutes from where I now live. The opportunity to see him again after all these years, knowing he was still essentially the same person I had met nearly 30 years ago, was a chance I was not going to pass up. I was even considering bringing the comic he signed 28 years ago (with ticket stub) for fun/nostalgia's sake. However, it is not meant to be.

Attached are the two comics...the one he signed 28 years ago (and stub) and the one I was hoping he and burt would sign in August.

RIP Adam.
Post 29 IP   flag post
clickable text

The batusi!
Post 30 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Post 31 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I've had the chance to meet him twice at conventions, once on my own years ago and once later when my son was here. He was very gracious and everything you hope a celebrity will be when you get your turn to meet them.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector no1lufcfan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
Adam West on Big Bang Theory. Who's the best "Batman"? Classic stuff.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=adam+west+on+big+bang+theory&view=detail&mid=7CE1357F0701F6259EDD7CE1357F0701F6259EDD&FORM=VIRE

First time that I have seen this….absolutely brilliant
Post 33 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
Sucks that he's gone. Can't wait to see how many idiots raise the price on collectables now
Post 34 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego

Uma also knows the Batusi
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@Drogio
-
Did you get your ticket signed?
-
A friend of mine was helping to put the show together and knew I was a huge Batman fan so she invited me and a few friends to the show. We got to spend about 30 minutes backstage talking with him. He was incredibly nice and seemed to enjoy talking about whatever interested us. We asked him a ton of questions about his career and Batman. He asked us as many questions about us and our lives and really seemed to be interested. When we were leaving, he thanked us several times for being fans and told us how much he appreciated it. I believed him.
_
I got 2 or 3 comics signed that night. I'll try to pull them and post them later.
-
Now, I can show my wife that I'm not the only one that saves this kind of stuff. Actually, She's great with my son and I collecting. She doesn't get it but she supports it and participates.

Post 36 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Let me take you back in time for a minute or two.
I was six years old when the Batman TV show started. It was must see TV in my house (loved those SOCK!, BAM!, SLAM! - fight effects). Back then, you all watched TV as a family, mom and my sister on the couch, dad in his chair, and me on the floor. The only TV in the house was a floor model (Zenith I think) and black-and-white. I was the "remote control," if the phone rang (there was one phone, a wall-mounted rotary dial on the kitchen wall with about a 50' extension cord) it was my job to turn down the volume (believe it or not, television's had knobs back then). Batman was so much cooler than the Superman TV show, and my parents loved seeing all these old movie stars that showed up as guest stars/villians on the show. Then one day in 1968, I came home from school and we had a color TV! I watched Batman in color that last season (how could they cancel Batman?).
Anyway, that show probably influenced me into buying comic books more than anything else. In fact, I wanted everything Batman as a kid. I still have my Batman fork and spoon that I used to eat with, and I have a cheap plastic Batman wallet that I bought at a local drug store that also sold comics (you had to go behind a counter where they were laid out on a shelf). I even had all the sets of Batman cards that came out then, but eventually I traded those for comics.
To me, Adan West will always be THE BATMAN. His charm, style, and wit will be sadly missed. Today's stars and even comic artists should be more like him. RIP
Post 37 IP   flag post

Post 38 IP   flag post

Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector David_Kent private msg quote post Address this user
We will miss him. He is batman
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
rip trooper to the end
Post 41 IP   flag post
@VaComicsGuy I should have had him sign the stub. I was 15 and it was last minute...I was just getting into batman comics so I grabbed the latest issue from the newsstand. My friend actually had a set of the re-issued batman tv series card set and got him to sign the Adam west batman card...lucky dog.

I'd like to see what you had him sign. That was a great night. He was the first celebrity I had ever met...and i knew it at the time he was special and from that day forward whenever I caught an interview or a bit he was involved in on tv, i found myself glued to the tv.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@Drogio I thought it was cool that we both saved the tickets. It was a great night. I can't remember if he told the catwoman statue story during his talk or when we were backstage. Do you remember hearing it?
Post 43 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Would anyone object to me using their story in a column for a comic book website?
Post 44 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@JLS_Comics - It's a public forum, so I don't see why not.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@JLS_Comics - It's a public forum, so I don't see why not.

That's what I figured but I just want to be sure
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
I just read an article on his er, um, adventures while he was playing Batman. Sounds like he had a lot of fun.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector no1lufcfan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
I just read an article on his er, um, adventures while he was playing Batman. Sounds like he had a lot of fun.

Do pray tell
Post 48 IP   flag post
He did go through 3 different Catwomen.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
Would anyone object to me using their story in a column for a comic book website?

No problem here.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:

Post the link or what you say isn't true.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
@Drogio I thought it was cool that we both saved the tickets. It was a great night. I can't remember if he told the catwoman statue story during his talk or when we were backstage. Do you remember hearing it?

I was 15 at the time..and I have trouble remembering last week as it is. Can you remind me of the cat woman statue story? Pm me if you don't want to repeat it here
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:

Post the link or what you say isn't true.

Do a google search or just go to the NY Post and read the article they have published in their Page 6 section today at 2:34pm.
Post 53 IP   flag post
I just published this, used a couple posts from here so thank you https://www.comicbooked.com/adam-west/

@KiloGraham
@esavaro
@Mef
@Comicsforme
@Drogio
Post 54 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
bat signal
Post 55 IP   flag post
600751 60 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?