Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop CultureQuestions

Police chatter so other threads aren't....3078

COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Naw, that can't be right. It is probably more like 20-24 years. You might be correct if you are talking about the average years we stay alive after retirement.

I agree with your second paragraph though. I'm a good typist so the paperwork didn't bother me too much.

I always tell my family and friends that it is what they watch on TV and in movies. But I lived it. Of course it ain't a shootout every day, and when you wreck the cities cars they tend to not give you another for awhile. But it beats working for a living. The stories I could tell. Exciting, funny, sad, sexy and terrible. All in one week. Ask me sometime about picking up two hookers at once, or picking up a male hooker. Far as I know, I am the only Cleveland Cop that ever did either of those.

They give you a gun, a badge, a car with a full tank of gas, and let you go out and stick your nose into other people's business. What's not to like?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
@Towmater
It is an apples to oranges discussion. For example, my grandfather served warrants with my grandmother in his departmental vehicle in the early 1970's. If he had a problem she could see or hear while he served them he wanted her to use his in-car radio to call for assistance. That was how he attempted to inject some officer safety into his life. In today's world, law enforcement personnel carry hand-held units and cell phones. Having a discussion about the tactics my grandfather used is a funny footnote in the history of policing in my family. It isn't something I could apply now. He was in a very different era than the one I served a community within. I hope that makes sense.
==================================

APPLE ORANGE SMOOTHIE

2 large Ambrosia apples
2 navel or valencia oranges peeled
Small piece of ginger
Small pinch pepper powder
10 to 12 almonds or cashews

Throw all in blender. Hit ON button. Enjoy!!!!
😎
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Naw, that can't be right. It is probably more like 20-24 years.

Again, the national average for a career in law enforcement in just over 3 years. Most people won't put up with the shift changes, the divorce rate, and the stress. Some can't activate their emergency equipment to make that first traffic stop when riding alone on their first shift after field training. (At one time, my PD had a 58% personnel turnover rate in a 12 month period. The average officer at one time had only 4 years of experience in patrol during that time period. It was a nightmare in personnel management.)

The town I now live in has a constant turnover in their personnel. It is just a national issue.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
@Towmater
It is an apples to oranges discussion. For example, my grandfather served warrants with my grandmother in his departmental vehicle in the early 1970's. If he had a problem she could see or hear while he served them he wanted her to use his in-car radio to call for assistance. That was how he attempted to inject some officer safety into his life. In today's world, law enforcement personnel carry hand-held units and cell phones. Having a discussion about the tactics my grandfather used is a funny footnote in the history of policing in my family. It isn't something I could apply now. He was in a very different era than the one I served a community within. I hope that makes sense.

APPLE ORANGE SMOOTHIE

2 large Ambrosia apples
Small piece of ginger

😎

You were typing that for a very long time.
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
My nephew joined the Sheriff's department not too long ago. His first assignment required him to work at the county jail. About two weeks in he was attacked by an inmate. He quit immediately after that.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Approximately 70% of the 280 officers that came on the job with me, retired from the job. I know because we all knew each other and I attended many retirement parties. There were anywhere from 1600 to 2100 officers on the job in my city, at various times during my career.

Unless google is failing me, here is a couple of links to check out concerning the average career length of a law enforcement officer. But I am sure, the internet being the internet, you can find a site to back up whatever you want to advocate is correct (like I did). I can only vouch for the people I know personally.

https://books.google.com/books?id=9AbGh8UKwiwC&pg=PA3&lpg=PA3&dq=average+career+length+police+officer&source=bl&ots=SPbAVSyJ8j&sig=vUA_iv0HiR703G0NFstEwq_jfwQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjx8_35w6_UAhUk0YMKHVh4BNsQ6AEIWjAL#v=onepage&q=average%20career%20length%20police%20officer&f=false

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080425083714AAucsYC

three years isn't a career. It is an affair.
Post 31 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
I've been in law enforcement going on 13 years now love it except when we had a president that hated police officers. Now we have someone that will stand behind us.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Obama hated America period.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
@Towmater

APPLE ORANGE SMOOTHIE

2 large Ambrosia apples
Small piece of ginger

😎

You were typing that for a very long time.

Copy paste...
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Approximately 70% of the 280 officers that came on the job with me, retired from the job. I know because we all knew each other and I attended many retirement parties. There were anywhere from 1600 to 2100 officers on the job in my city, at various times during my career.

Unless google is failing me, here is a couple of links to check out concerning the average career length of a law enforcement officer. But I am sure, the internet being the internet, you can find a site to back up whatever you want to advocate is correct (like I did). I can only vouch for the people I know personally.

https://books.google.com/books?id=9AbGh8UKwiwC&pg=PA3&lpg=PA3&dq=average+career+length+police+officer&source=bl&ots=SPbAVSyJ8j&sig=vUA_iv0HiR703G0NFstEwq_jfwQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjx8_35w6_UAhUk0YMKHVh4BNsQ6AEIWjAL#v=onepage&q=average%20career%20length%20police%20officer&f=false

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080425083714AAucsYC

three years isn't a career. It is an affair.

The links you have provided are talking about a career from a hire date through retirement. That isn't what I am referencing in my post. I'm talking about the average length of time a person who is hired as a police office stays in the profession. It has nothing to do with a career from a hire date through retirement. Personally, I think you are being purposely obtuse.

I don't doubt your 70% retired with you comment. You have stated that it was almost impossible for members of your agency to be fired. Noting the following link in reference to how your fine city's crime numbers stack up against the average city in the USA's crime numbers it is pretty easy to draw some interesting conclusions about that still being in effect. What I really found interesting was the references to how many more officers your old department has compared to the Ohio average and still has those out of the norm violent crime, vehicle thefts, arson, and theft numbers.

clickable text

Like you said, the internet being the internet, you can find a site to back up whatever you want to advocate as being correct.
Post 35 IP   flag post
And yet, I succeeded and survived.

I must be lucky.

It is very hard to fire a police officer in every big city. Including those that are much worse statistically than Cleveland.

But it has went to crap since I retired. Wonder why that is? Hmmm....
Post 36 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I don't play by anybody's rules. Not even my own.
Post 37 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
From age 6 to 13 I always wanted to be a cop. Then I discovered experimentation in my youth...
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
From age 6 to 13 I always wanted to be a cop. Then I discovered experimentation in my youth...

Post 39 IP   flag post
Post 40 IP   flag post
In 2017, computers and their systems work in the world of law enforcement. Warrant checks that come back with a hit result in arrests. In modern policing, most agency personnel actually go out and serve warrants. They work for a living as they are held accountable for their jobs. Of course, not all agencies have stepped into the 19th, 20th, or even the 21st century. I never worked with one but it is my understanding that those do exist. (BTW, if it is a Sheriff's department they go out and serve papers. Sheriff's Departments get paid to serve warrants along with other court documents. In most Sheriff Departments it is a requirement to keep your job as a road deputy).

My old agency used to work with the US Marshals all the time to serve warrants. The Marshals did it to get the extra hours in that allowed them to collect their cost of living adjustments on their paychecks. They are no longer required to do that but they still go out to kick in doors just to have fun. In my old agency officers where required to pull warrants and serve them once a week. It was a part of the annual review for the personnel in the patrol division. It was under the officer-initiated activity section of the review. It has been shown through different crime studies that officer-initiate activity increases arrest and lowers a city's overall crime stats. Therefore, members of patrol were held responsible for the number of warrants served, and the number of attempts they completed.
Post 41 IP   flag post
A farmer got pulled over by a state trooper for speeding, and the trooper started to lecture the farmer about his speed, and in general, began to throw his weight around to try to make the farmer uncomfortable.

Finally, the trooper got around to writing out the ticket, and as he was doing so, he kept swatting at some flies that were buzzing around his head.

The farmer asks, “Having some problems with circle flies there, are ya?”

The trooper stops writing the ticket and says, “Well, yeah, if that’s what they are–I never heard of circle flies.”

So the farmer says, “Well, circle flies are common on farms. See, they’re called circle flies because they’re almost always found circling around the back end of a horse.”

The trooper says, “Oh,” and goes back to writing the ticket. Then after a minute, he stops and says, “Hey . . . wait a minute, are you trying to associate me with the back end of a horse?”

The farmer says, “Oh no, Officer. I have too much respect for law enforcement and police officers to even think about calling you a horse’s rear.”

The trooper says, “Well, that’s a good thing,” and goes back to writing the ticket.

After a long pause, the farmer adds, “Hard to fool them flies, though.”
Post 42 IP   flag post

Post 43 IP   flag post
Brian Cox stated in an interview that fans can expect Super Troopers 2 to come out next year.

“We’ve done it,” Cox said. “We made it.”

If they can come close to the first 5+ minutes of the first film I'll die a happy man.

Post 44 IP   flag post
Yuss!
Post 45 IP   flag post
Collector HOGLEG private msg quote post Address this user
Great movie
Post 46 IP   flag post
597964 46 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?