Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeQuestions

DC Super Pack ... break open or not?3036

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
I'm curious, anyone ever buy some of those old Bronze Age "super packs" of comics ... usually 2 or 3 encased in one flimsy bag? I think Marvel did it sometimes, too, but I'm currently considering a few from DC.

They are described as "mint" (by a reputable source) but I assume they are 9.4, or perhaps 9.2 or (one hopes!) 9.6. My plan is to send them in as-is to be graded, let the graders cut them out of the plastic bag.

But I'm conflicted. Danger aside (from not truly knowing the grade or being able to examine them), these comics have never been read and they've been stored like this for ~40 years. I hate to break them out. But you have to to get them properly protected.

What would you guys do? Have any luck with these type books?

My thought is, I at least want the grader to know they've never been read ... which is a pretty cool, if transient, condition. But maybe that's foolish, and I should just unbag 'em myself, send them in in the traditional way. What do you think?

There is the secondary consideration, too, where one might want to grade a nice Batman or Wonder Woman, but not the included Kamandi or Shazam! (or whatever). I assume CBCS / CGC / PGX would send the extra back as a courtesy, but haven't asked yet.
Post 1 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
No. Do not open it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
thing is, even if they haven't been touched, the books may have been affected in the bag. No board behind them. Air going in the bag and working on them. Acid free plastic not in use?
Buy a cheap bag of books and see what they are like first.

You want to invest, fine...but learn about the conditions
involved that can affect you.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
No. Do not open it.

Do not open at all? Or do not open before I send them in to be graded? Either way, what's your thinking here?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Don't open it at all.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
I'm curious, anyone ever buy some of those old Bronze Age "super packs" of comics ... usually 2 or 3 encased in one flimsy bag? I think Marvel did it sometimes, too, but I'm currently considering a few from DC.

They are described as "mint" (by a reputable source) but I assume they are 9.4, or perhaps 9.2 or (one hopes!) 9.6. My plan is to send them in as-is to be graded, let the graders cut them out of the plastic bag.

For a reputable source to call something "mint" ---that is verging on crazy talk.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
For a reputable source to call something "mint" ---that is verging on crazy talk.

Heh. Yeah, true. But collectors know "mint" is technically 10.0 ... which doesn't exist, in any realistic sense. So they know, and I know, and most collectors know, it IS crazy talk. And therefore it can be dismissed as simply a term of art, rather than a technical grade. My interpretation is: they have confidence in these comics.

(Note: I bought six comics from these guys last fall. Five were listed as "VF/NM" and I graded three of them. They came back 9.4, 9.2, and 9.4... Fantastic Four #60 & #69, and Thor #138, if you're curious. That's where my confidence comes from.)

Anyway, according to Nostromania (which is probably a bit off with these ones), one 3-bag would value out at $214 if 9.0's, and $373 if 9.4's. The 2-bag would be $223 or $315 for the same grades. They are asking $120 and $125. So I'm covered, pretty much, except I'll also get some comics I don't care too much for.

But to grade them, I have to open the damn bag. ;-)
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Until @DrWatson gives a compelling reason why not, I'm in the camp of open it. Razor blade. Be careful.
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
These bags do supply some nice books sometimes. Keep in mind they still get color breaking spine creases in the bag so to send one in blind is probably not the best idea. Inspect the books and and maybe consider having some pressing done. These bags don't keep the corners all that sharp but a press will usually fix that.
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
You can't submit anonymous books for grading, you have to know what they are just to submit the invoice.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
I would open the bags. What's the point of having something if you don't know what it is?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
I would open the bags. What's the point of having something if you don't know what it is?

Because its a Showcase #4 until the bag is open.

Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Until @DrWatson gives a compelling reason why not, I'm in the camp of open it. Razor blade. Be careful.

Duh.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
can i see a photo i've never seen one and i'm having trouble searching for it on the google
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
You can't submit anonymous books for grading, you have to know what they are just to submit the invoice.

Ah, I see the confusion ... no, these bags, you can see into them, mostly. So you know exactly what the comics are inside, and can sort of judge condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
can i see a photo i've never seen one and i'm having trouble searching for it on the google

Here you go -->

Post 15 IP   flag post
Here's another one ... a 3-pack -->

Post 16 IP   flag post
Here's something I didn't realize, until I found it just now: MyComicShop has a whole section on these for sale. (Well ... limited supplies, though.)
https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=33649139
Post 17 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
oh wow that's totally cool!
Post 18 IP   flag post
How do you know what the middle comic is inside the 3 pack?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
How do you know what the middle comic is inside the 3 pack?

You can slide them around enough to see, barely. There are also lists out there available.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Here's another one ... a 3-pack -->

Target still sells these type of three-packs of random back issues. They are in one of the toy aisles
Post 21 IP   flag post
Another thing to be wary of with these are reprints. DC did a bunch of these for WalMart during the New 52 days and they were reprints of first printing covers rather than actual first printings.
Post 22 IP   flag post
If you can move the comics comics enough to see the middle one they definitely are subject to S.C.S. Free them immediately.
Post 23 IP   flag post
SCS (shaken comic symdrome) is when comic books, or other graded books, move around inside the slab and become damaged. That's the main reason they will not encapsulate books with over hang.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I think SCS can be caused by any inadequate enclosure, not just slabs. imo
Post 25 IP   flag post
Update: Okay, I just got these in the mail, and they look AMAZING. Sharp corners, only a couple with any spine ticks at all. Not sure about the color ... OW/W maybe? But it could be the bags are discolored, not the comics inside. And the Batman 253 looks great ... really love that cover.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Discolored bags is a sign of acidity breakdown. Open them before it's too late.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Discolored bags is a sign of acidity breakdown. Open them before it's too late.

I agree, open them. If your planning on Subbing them for grading you need to be able to access the book's condition and that can only be achieved by opening them.
Post 28 IP   flag post
598095 28 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?