Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgePop CultureQuestionsSignatures

American Entertainment Exclusives3009

COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Hello!

I am hoping you all can help me out. I am looking to make collection of the American Entertainment exclusives that came out mainly in the late 1990s. I remember ordering from their page adverts back then and then getting a catalog from which I'd ordered even more.

It was sort of my first foray in to exclusives and variants that didn't come directly from the publisher. I have a few but am looking to bulk up my collection of AE Exclusives as a sort of novelty niche part of what I own.

You know how people collect the Wizard 1/2 books? This is just like that

Throw up some pictures if you can, that'd be much appreciated and thanks!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Sirtoddington private msg quote post Address this user
I remember American Entertainment when it was still around. Man.... that makes me feel old. lol
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Here's a probably not comprehensive list

The list includes stuff you probably won't be looking for like signed comics that American entertainment sold through their store with CoA but it should be ebough to get started.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
ment s

Awesome thank you, that's just what I was looking for!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtoddington
I remember American Entertainment when it was still around. Man.... that makes me feel old. lol

haha I know, right. It happens every time i see someone refer to an "old" comic book and they pull out something from the 90s
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I didn't know that these existed.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@JLS_Comics I think I might have some spares if you're interested but I'll have to wait til I get home to check
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Here's a probably not comprehensive list

The list includes stuff you probably won't be looking for like signed comics that American entertainment sold through their store with CoA but it should be ebough to get started.

Going over this list I have like maybe 80%+ of these books.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
I think I might have some spares if you're interested but I'll have to wait til I get home to check

That'd be awesome!
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Sirtoddington very cool! i have a few myself but nowhere near 80%
Post 10 IP   flag post
It looks like AmericanEntertainment was bought out at one point by AnotherUniverse, another company with very similar line of exclusive variants:

clickable text
Post 11 IP   flag post
@JLS_Comics I thought American Entertainment went a different direction company wise? That's what i had always heard was the reason they stopped selling comics. Actually.... I thought they ended up turning into Entertainment Earth & started selling collectibles instead?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Wish i had some of those "Tenth" variants from Another Universe.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtoddington
@JLS_Comics I thought American Entertainment went a different direction company wise? That's what i had always heard was the reason they stopped selling comics. Actually.... I thought they ended up turning into Entertainment Earth & started selling collectibles instead?

It looks like Entertainment Earth has always been a separate entity: clickable text
Post 14 IP   flag post
i stand corrected, they just changed their name to AnotherUniverse.com --- I had to dig deep for this one lol

MANASSAS, Va., March 2 1998 /PRNewswire/ -- Reflecting its explosive growth in online commerce, the largest retailer of collectible entertainment merchandise has officially changed its name from American Entertainment to
AnotherUniverse.com.

The change brings the company's 10-year-old catalog
operation, its chain of mall-based specialty stores, and Internet commerce division under one brand. Stephen Milo, President and CEO, made the announcement about the name change, citing the company's commitment to continuing its success in cyberspace.

"The change reflects the increasing percentage of current sales being generated online and the prospect for even greater future sales volume," stated Milo. "As a result, we have undertaken a considerable marketing campaign, including new advertising, a new corporate logo, and the hiring of a
national public relations agency to brand the AnotherUniverse.com name -- and web site -- as part of our overall business strategy."

With the announcement, AnotherUniverse.com officially launched its new parent web site, a network of sites previously produced by the company. The web site, formerly Mania.com, now incorporates a revamped online magazine,
online store and entertainment news channels.

"While many have struggled to make online commerce consumer-friendly and profitable, we have created an integrated model of news, user-interactivity, and shopping as we look to further capitalize on our early success," adds Milo.

Since launching its first online store in early 1996,
AnotherUniverse.com's online sales increased by over 1200% in 1997. In 1998, the company anticipates that 40% of its sales will be from the Internet -- an increase of 400% from 1997.

Founded in 1984 as American Entertainment, AnotherUniverse.com is a privately held retailer specializing in the sale of licensed entertainment and collectible merchandise such as games, toys, and comic books from the science fiction and action adventure/fantasy genres. Today,AnotherUniverse.com is
the largest retailer of collectible entertainment, marketing its products both domestically and internationally through the company's Web site, chain of mall-based retail stores, and catalogs.
Post 15 IP   flag post
And according to this, AnotherUniverse was acquired by Fandom (Fandom Info (around 2006?) and then Milo, the AU CEO went to work for Marvel.Com

clickable text
Post 16 IP   flag post
@JLS_Comics
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
And according to this, AnotherUniverse was acquired by Fandom (Fandom Info (around 2006?) and then Milo, the AU CEO went to work for Marvel.Com

clickable text

AH HA! I knew they changed to some sort of site a long time ago. I couldn't remember what it was.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@JLS_Comics Sorry, a bunch of stuff piled on yesterday evening and I forgot to check my box for the books. I'll try to remember to check tonight
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Sorry, a bunch of stuff piled on yesterday evening and I forgot to check my box for the books. I'll try to remember to check tonight

no worries my friend
Post 20 IP   flag post
@JLS_Comics So these are the ones I have available:
x4

x2

Post 21 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite I have 2 of those green Switchblades signed by Turner. I need to get those to CBCS for red label grading.
Post 22 IP   flag post
How much for the last 2? I'll shoot you a PM
Post 23 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@Sirtoddington autocorrect?
Post 24 IP   flag post
@DarthLego DAMNIT! Yes. Did the same damn thing when i had a commission done of Roxy from Gen 13 with the witchblade!
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 26 IP   flag post
601308 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?