Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature ASPSignatures

Witnessing a Second Signature300

Collector DrunkWooky private msg quote post Address this user
Hey, CBCS staff and other signature witnesses.

I have never "cracked" a previously graded and encapsulated yellow label authentic signature and had a second signature witnessed at a later date on the same book.

What is the procedure for getting the second signature witnessed while maintaining the authentic status of the first!? Any help would be much appreciated!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Mr_adam_R private msg quote post Address this user
this is a great question!! and to add to that, do we have to pay to get it re-graded or would it be more of a reholder charge?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Nico private msg quote post Address this user
Regrade, you never know when Stans Shaking hands creases your comic
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
You would need an authorized witness, of course. The witness, or you in the presence of the witness, remove the comic feom the holder (I'll let someone who's done it explain how to do it), at this point the book must not leave the witness' sight and you must keep the label with the book and get the additional witnessed signatures.

Basically at this point the book gets resubmitted for grading under the ASP label. The previous label along with the authorized witness ensuring the same book that was cracked was also the one that got the new signatures, ensures the previous signatures remain valid, and the witness witnessing the new signatures authorizes the new ones.

Someone with a bit more experience could probably tell you more about how to fill out the form, what information you need from the witness, etc.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Mr_adam_R private msg quote post Address this user
makes sense. thank you sir!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector DrunkWooky private msg quote post Address this user
To drill down and make my question more specific: Is (1) the yellow label and (2) the signature witness' submission the required evidence for a follow-up authentic yellow label with both the earlier and later signatures listed?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector JazzyJeffie private msg quote post Address this user
I have thought of buying a signed (with COA) comic book, but adding more signatures to it via ASP providers.

How does that work? And has anybody done that before? A comic book with a signature already (bought from eBay or Midtown Comics) and have someone else sign it but the 2nd signature is witnessed.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkWooky
To drill down and make my question more specific: Is (1) the yellow label and (2) the signature witness' submission the required evidence for a follow-up authentic yellow label with both the earlier and later signatures listed?

Yes, the original Yellow label is what verifies that the original signature was ASP (or SS) and the AW submitting it is what verifies the new signature and verifies that they were the one that cracked (or witnessed the cracking) of the original Yellow label.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeffie
I have thought of buying a signed (with COA) comic book, but adding more signatures to it via ASP providers.

How does that work? And has anybody done that before? A comic book with a signature already (bought from eBay or Midtown Comics) and have someone else sign it but the 2nd signature is witnessed.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

This would still have to be submitted as VSP because the original signature was not witnessed; however, you will not have to pay VSP pricing if an AW witnesses the remaining signatures. For example, if you had an original, unwitnessed signature and then added 2 more witnessed by an AW, the cost would be the $25 for the first VSP signature and then just $5 per book (not per signature) for the remaining signatures witnessed (if they were all 3 VSP it would be $25 + $15 + $15). the book will still have the red VSP label though.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector JazzyJeffie private msg quote post Address this user
@RyanHicks Thanks for the clarification on this. So even if the Red VSP label will be used, will there be a note that the 2nd Signature was SIGNED BY X Artist on X Event?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeffie
@RyanHicks Thanks for the clarification on this. So even if the Red VSP label will be used, will there be a note that the 2nd Signature was SIGNED BY X Artist on X Event?

Lets say you had a book signed by Stan Lee with a COA and then you had a witness get a book signed by Marv Wolfman at Phoenix comic Con on June 2nd. The label would read something like "Signed by Marv Wolfman on 6/2/2016 at Phoenix comic Con and Signed by Stan Lee"

If the COA has signing information (like date and where it was signed) CBCS might include that on the label but not 100% sure on that one as I have never done that exact scenario myself.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Would it actually say "signed by Stan Lee" in that case? From my experience with CGC it might say something like "name written on cover in marker.". Unless it was witnessed, I can't imagine them putting "signed by" anybody on the label, with or without a CoA, which, as I understand it, have no weight when it comes to putting a signature on a label.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Yes, it will say "signed by". That is the whole purpose of the verified signature program and the huge product advantage over CGCs offering. Signatures are verified authentic by CSA. Here is one of my VSP slabs, you can see it says "signed by" but with no date or location.

Post 13 IP   flag post
Ah sorry, I had missed the part where you'd mentioned submitting it for a red label. I am familiar with the VSP program and have gotten a book throught it before.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Yea, if you were going for Yellow label just based on the witnessed signature then it would not say "signed by Stan Lee" on the label but you would take a hit on the grade for "writing on cover"
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
striped label would be awesome for dual sig types
Post 16 IP   flag post
597890 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?