Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Modern Age

Should these go back for label fixes?2998

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
w00t So my latest order has shipped! There were a couple of disappointments, grade-wise but most about what I expected. Even got a slight grade bump on one book.

What does have me a little concerned is that it looks like some of the books didn't get variant designations or got some generic ones that make it difficult to identify what book it actually is. At least according to the grader's notes that are now available.

These two ASM 129 reprints, for example:

Most places call them the Legends Reprint and the Signature Series Reprints because they were included with Punisher figures from those lines but the grader's notes just say "Amazing Spider-Man #129" with the date to differentiate them.

Then there's these two books:

You can't actually differentiate these books from the grader's notes because they're both listed as just Black Widow #1 - Direct Edition" and you don't have different dates to tell them apart like with the ASM129 Reprints.

Finally there's these two. These aren't my actual books but this illustrates how these books were identified by CBCS in the past:

Here they were identified as "Aspen Comics Exclusive" and "Aspen Comics Ultimate Exclisve", respectively. The grader's notes for my books identify them both as just "Aspen Comics Exclusive Variant." It's also clear that this isn't a change in approach to these books since I have some other Harley store exclusives in this order that are better identified on the label.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
One of the "The Black Widow #1" looks to be a gold variant?

is that the case?
Post 2 IP   flag post
@ZosoRocks Just alternate art in this case. Some places differentiate them as the Natasha and Yelena covers, some just call the Yelena cover the variant. Either way, it seems like they should be differentiated somehow
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Hopefully the labels are correct when you get them in hand.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
I agree....as we normally see "artist variants" listed on the label. You see the "Michael Turner Variant" all the time.

Same with Adam Hughes.

There should be an industry standard for these labels.

I'm actually surprised there isn't.

Hey, let's you and I start a symposium for Continuous Improvement within the Comic Book Industry....and this will be the first collaboration.....what goes on the slabbed label.

:o)
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite I don't mean to hijack your thread but... I just got my order and all the punisher books say "Punisher 1, 2, 3, etc They didn't distinguish between Punisher, Punisher limited series and punisher war journal. Three separate series are all combined... My two Gen 13 #1's simply say "2 covers exist" First, one is from the unlimited series while the other is from the limited series. I noted all of this on the sub form. One is cover "B" Thumbs Up Variant...nope just two covers exists.

LOL I don't know what to do about this or if it really even matters...Bleh..
Post 6 IP   flag post
I've noticed CBCS often not use the same variant name as the marketplace. For example everyone referred to that Harley Quinn as the "Hatless Puddin' Pack Variant." Why can't we have nice things CBCS?
Post 7 IP   flag post
@mattness I don't know why but I've never had much of a problem with series of the same title not being differentiated on the label, except for the year. I know CGC uses volumes, which I don't think quite works because it creates something of a mess to figure out what counts as a volume. Should a mini-series that shares a title with a subsequent ongoing series count as a volume? What about when two different publishers have unrelated series by the same name, like when a new publisher acquires a license and starts their own series? On my collection software at home I list the series as "Series Name (year started)" and that seems to work well enough. I think CBCS' system with the dates kinda accomplishes that for me.

But lumping Punisher with Punisher War Journal definitely seems wrong. And so does the case with the Gen 13 books. If there's a variant, the label should definitely say which variant you're holding. I know my Batman Adventures 12 has a notation "light and dark covers exist" without saying which one they think my book was (people here seem to think they're not distinct covers, just a byproduct of varying ink levels in the printer. Do your two books have different dates, at least?
Post 8 IP   flag post
So who knows if we'll ever get a census but stuff like this makes me scared that it'll be difficult to sort out if we do, what with books sharing titles they shouldn't and inconsistent variant naming and recognition
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector JazzyJeffie private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite Coincidentally, I have two (2) CBCS books coming, which are similar Harley Quinn Aspen variants. I referenced both from eBay photos so I can see the usual/normal label, and that's what I filled out in my order form. I won't find out what will show up, until they finished grading.

Did you do the same, and filled out the notes in the Submission form with that of what you saw from previously-graded books?
Because if you did, then CBCS changed the notes deliberately.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@JazzyJeffie I'm pretty sure I used the artist name and either Color or B&w.

The Joe Benitez covers were changed to "Comic Hero University Exclusive" and "Comic Hero University B&W" but the Aspen covers have the same variant name. Unless the label says something different than the notes it looks like at least those are going back.
Post 11 IP   flag post
So here are the books in question.

I think the hatless Harley should definitely go back for a label fix since there is nothing in the variant name or label notes to distinguish it from the other book

I'm kind of okay with the ASM 129 reprints not saying anything specific since they at least mention the book's origin in the label notes, though I'd really wish those where included on the grader's notes online

This is one of my CBCS pet peeves when the label just has a note that says multiple covers exist but doesn't try to identify which version it is that you have. It's also kind of funny that the label says "two covers exist" but of course there is a third cover, which does at least get the variant notation. I'd be happy if the label at least said something like "Cover A" or "Cover B" so you have some idea. I'll send customer service a message but I'm not optimistic that these will see a label change.

Post 12 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite Please let us know what CBCS says about the Black Widow books. As noted above I have the same, "2 covers exist" on my two Gen 13 1's. I am curious why we have to fill out the variant info when submitting when it isn't used on the label or online.
Post 13 IP   flag post
This is most perplexing. With week long stints in QC, things should be better than this.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector KiloGraham private msg quote post Address this user
Interestingly enough, I have an ASM annual #21 "The Wedding" issue cbcs 9.8 B cover newsstand. CBCS has noted that it is the "Heros and Villians cover", clearly differentiating it from the A cover (Friends and family cover maybe?). CGC lumps both covers in as "both spiderman and Peter Parker covers exist" and doesn't state which the copy in the slab is.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@mattness @KiloGraham I'll send them an email tonight after I've had a chance to research and get some various counter-examples. The "X Covers Exist" just seems like a lazy and inconsistent way to handle variants.

Why exactly do some books get a variant notation and some lumped together with the "X covers exist"? I'll let you guys know what I hear back.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite I'm wondering if the problem might originate with the publishers not properly differentiating the Indicia?
Post 17 IP   flag post
@DarthLego I was thinking that as well. I was reminded of the Batman #1 Studio edition, which is obviously a variant or reprint of Batman #1 but the indica says "Batman Exhibit, likely in error, which makes no sense but that's what the book is slabbed as

Post 18 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite exactly, I got huffy about that book. CBCS insists on slabbing it according to the Indicia, which normally is not a bad policy, but I'm convinced that someone in charge of the DC indicia process on that book was drunk and didn't go home.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I think that some common sense should come into play and override SOP in situations where clearly someone at the publisher was drunk. For the sake of the hobby. That Batman is a perfect example.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I sent the email last night to see if their email response has improved any. I'll give it a few days then give them a call if I don't hear anything
Post 21 IP   flag post
Nothing so far this morning, which is disappointing. I'll have to give them a call today at lunch
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector mattbanks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Nothing so far this morning, which is disappointing. I'll have to give them a call today at lunch
yes i am concerned on my books i'm submitting too. i have a few variant editions. how do i submit those?
Post 23 IP   flag post
@mattbanks I think you and I are having two different issues.

If you're submitting books, just go through the normal submission process. For each book you add there is an optional field for Variants where you specify the variant. CBCS will update that name once they get to grading so that they are consistent with their internal naming conventions and with other copies they have graded in the past.

My issue is that CBCS made a mistake and put the wrong variant name on one of my books. So I need to contact them and eventually return the book so that they can put a new label on the book with the correct name
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector mattbanks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@mattbanks I think you and I are having two different issues.

If you're submitting books, just go through the normal submission process. For each book you add there is an optional field for Variants where you specify the variant. CBCS will update that name once they get to grading so that they are consistent with their internal naming conventions and with other copies they have graded in the past.

My issue is that CBCS made a mistake and put the wrong variant name on one of my books. So I need to contact them and eventually return the book so that they can put a new label on the book with the correct name

oh okay gotcha i understand now ty.
Post 25 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite Were you able to call CBCS and talk to someone about your variants?
Post 26 IP   flag post
597875 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?