Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Now this CGC case is questionable...2995

Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
I just got a chance to check out a TTA 65 I purchased some time ago, graded 8.0 by CGC, and it appears that there's a huge depression either inside the back of the case or on the book itself. I held the book up at various angles under the light and didn't see any impression on it, but I'm still concerned the book is being damaged. Not cool.

I posted a few pics (disregard the reflection of the ceiling light in the first picture and the line in the last one!).

Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
It looks like the inner well got shrunk or warped from heat exposure. Probably not doing good things for the book for sure.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
I am 99.99% positive that is light refraction between the inner and outer well.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
It's called puddling and I have it on some of my older slabs as well. It does not damage the book.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
I had puddling on one of my CGC books. When I cracked the slabbed to send it to CBCS I found that the puddling left a perfect copy of the puddling shape pressed into the cover. The back cover was damaged because of this. This book was slabbed on 8/22/2013 and was cracked 4/2017. I don't know how long the puddling was present. I would definitely keep an eye on it.

Edit: My cover was entirely black. Not sure if that made a difference.
Post 5 IP   flag post
That is interesting.

I've cracked out several slabs ( I have very few slabbed copies in my collection )and haven't seen that happen.

Did the shape break color? ( hopefully not ).
Post 6 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Puddling can damage the book. This problem with the cgc inner well has been going on for years to varying degrees.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Puddling can damage the book. This problem with the cgc inner well has been going on for years to varying degrees.

Listen to this guy.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Thanks for the responses. I should probably reholder it just to be safe, so I will plan to do so in the future. Newton rings, here I come.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids

This is not good advice.
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGC

Ok its a joke and entirely untrue (what I did to the quote), but if the shoe fits 😁
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector KiloGraham private msg quote post Address this user
Poor Quality control! That's not light refraction and it can absolutely damage your book. It's a pocket of uneven pressure and over time the book will "settle" to that pressure and you'll be left with imprint of the pocket.

If you're attending a con where cgc has a booth, bring that with you and make them reslab it. Don't let them tell you it won't damage the book, their whole business is based on the concept of keeping books in the condition they were slabbed in.

To paraphrase Batfleck "1% chance = absolute certainty.". Are you willing to take the chance that that book WON'T lose grade points if it stays slabbed the way it is?
Post 12 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Would be nice if someone did some research into this.
Post 13 IP   flag post

Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector rickdod3 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
Newton rings, here I come.

What if I told you, that I knew of a company with superior cases AND no newton rings? ;-)
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Quote:

Maybe some one who cracks graded books out for a living?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:

Color breaking damage or damage that could be pressed out potentially?

I shouldn't have assumed it did nothing based on my anecdotal sample size. Mea cupla.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector thpike private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego

What is the meme folder up to now? Eleventy Billion images?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego

It hadn't occurred to me until now, but when he said this, he was including WW, Aquaman, & Flash?
Post 19 IP   flag post
@Gaard he probably was weary of all meta-humans/aliens up until "save Martha!"
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
@Logan510 The indent didn't break color on my book. It looked like when you have a piece of furniture on a new fresh carpet. The carpet isn't damaged but there are perfect marks left in the carpet from the furniture. I sent mine to CBCS to see if it can be pressed out.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloGraham
Poor Quality control! That's not light refraction and it can absolutely damage your book. It's a pocket of uneven pressure and over time the book will "settle" to that pressure and you'll be left with imprint of the pocket.

If you're attending a con where cgc has a booth, bring that with you and make them reslab it. Don't let them tell you it won't damage the book, their whole business is based on the concept of keeping books in the condition they were slabbed in.

If cgc has integrity they would offer to reslab and re-ship this comic book for free. If they try to pawn it off on you, then they reveal they are tightwads and not customer friendly.
Post 22 IP   flag post
CGC, from what I've heard, will be happy to reholder problems once. But when they fail to correct the problem and you keep sending books back too many times you get banned like that Marky guy on YouTube.
Post 23 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Quote:

Maybe some one who cracks graded books out for a living?

If only.
Post 24 IP   flag post
If ands and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.
Post 25 IP   flag post

Post 26 IP   flag post
I'll contact CGC to see what they say.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Another one! Just received it. Not happy. I'll have to reach out to CGC about this one also, although I fully expect them to tell me to pound sand. This one is a 7.0 Tales to Astonish 93.

Post 28 IP   flag post
A better (worse?) picture...

Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
I knew it
Post 30 IP   flag post
600879 39 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?