Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeMemorabiliaPop CultureToys

Getting excited for SDCC 2017?2964

Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
YOU SHOULD BE!!

:o)

Sooo....it is the unofficial kickoff weekend to another Summer and we all know that July is just a couple of months away, which is always SDCC time.

Are you going? I unfortunately did not get thru, so I am not.

But that does not stop me from viewing live streams as if I am there.

But to get to my thread cteation...show me your SDCC Exclusives from years gone by!! I'll start it off with...

...though in 8.5 and could be pressed into a 9.2....I gotta admit....a hard book to find lying around at garage and estate sales....I attended this one and many others in the 90s and have never regretted it once.

If you can go...I encourage it.

Happy 40th Anniversary Star Wars!!
Post 1 IP   flag post
..and this little ditty came out of '94s SDCC Comics #4....worth a chuckle or two...although the artwork is reminicent of ODD RODS trading cards....Rock Geary c.1990

Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I'll definitely be going to SDCC and I'll be organizing another CBCS Dinner Meet-Up! No details yet but they're coming!

Not exactly an exclusive but I do have a 2013 Graphitti Designs Dead-Dog Party Invitation

Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
I'll definitely be going to SDCC and I'll be organizing another CBCS Dinner Meet-Up! No details yet but they're coming!

Not exactly an exclusive but I do have a 2013 Graphitti Designs Dead-Dog Party Invitation

LOL...I normally don't dress up in garb....but that was funny.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
So this is my first year really paying attention to sdcc. Does the guest list get bigger? Every time I check online it's still pretty scant or at least less than I would've thought. Baltimore and Boston already seem to have bigger guest lists.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Themaxx35 SDCC's Special Guests list doesn't really scratch the surface of who's actually attending.

In the weeks before the show the Autographs section will be filled out and the Exhibitors and Artist Alley lists will get filled out, not to mention the guests that attend as part of other exhibitors' booths.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite thanks!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector userX745 private msg quote post Address this user
Another year of line madness. Hall H, Ballroom 20, exhibitors, exclusives, etc.
Post 8 IP   flag post
The year 2007....the 30th anniversary of SW...AND....TV series "Heroes" is coming back to the Con.

I remember walking in that morning and seeing a line already form to get into the 2pm "Heroes" panel....it was 7:30 in the morning.

I clearly was not going to miss this panel, and to me and many others...it was worth the wait.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector vacaboca private msg quote post Address this user
This will be my first ever trip to SDCC - I've really only ever been to a small local con and one larger regional con (last year's Terrificonn in CT). I'm really not sure what to expect, and am a bit overwhelmed in thinking about it.

I'm primarily interested in getting some con exclusive comics and working on filling in holes on my collection... no real expectations beyond that. I'll probably focus on a panel or two as well.

Any advice on things to do/not do, etc., or how to approach planning would be appreciated!
Post 10 IP   flag post
@vacaboca

There is an enormous amount of things to do.

How much you do, really depends upon the number of days attending. 4-day passes give you more flexibility with the artists, but not the panels.

You will have some free time to hunt for books, but remember...140k people are too.....*smiles*...

Review the schedule of events...many give out freebies and exclusives you will only get if you attend.

Be on the look out for attending certain booths like WotC or Funko Or other big name comic pubs...they usually have selection limited to just the Con and if you are a reseller, some will be good buys.

I missed out on a Wonder Twins SDCC special....that I would have loved to add to my collection of the JL.

You just gotta be at the right spot at the right time, and good planning ahead can help greatly. Just know...it is a competition to be first come first served.

Sunday...you can usually find a great deal or two...but will be probably not be top notch, because vendors are trying to sell, sell, sell...so they don't have to take it with them.

Hope this helps...
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector vacaboca private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
Hope this helps...

Thanks for the thoughts! I have tickets for Thursday, Friday and Sunday - Saturday was sold out by the time I got a chance to buy tickets. I think I'm going to go in with as few specific goals as possible... working around the fixed-schedule things I want to see. Low pressure, just trying to relax and take it all in. We'll see
Post 12 IP   flag post
here's an SDCC exclusive

Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector userX745 private msg quote post Address this user
@vacaboca Just enjoy the floor and the smaller panels. Do not try for Hall H or Ballroom 20 because those are all day events and isn't with it for first timers because that is all you see is a line of people waiting the night before or at least 5 hours before the first panel (unless you have line buddies).

Con Exclusives are fun to hunt and make sure you know where to go because there are lines for those also. (ex: Mattle, Hasbro, and Funko)

Just have a fun time with the outside activities, the floor and smaller panels.
Post 14 IP   flag post
https://youtu.be/A9FYhvDp784

Gentle Giant's SDCC EXCLUSIVES....Vader bust looks kickass!

Numbered and COA. If anyone is heading that way and can pick me up one...I'd be greatful and pay the cost.

Takers?
Post 15 IP   flag post
I just got this in the mail

Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Did someone say Star Wars?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector docstrange private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
YOU SHOULD BE!!

Sooo....it is the unofficial kickoff weekend to another Summer and we all know that July is just a couple of months away, which is always SDCC time.

But to get to my thread cteation...show me your SDCC Exclusives from years gone by!! I'll start it off with...

...though in 8.5 and could be pressed into a 9.2....I gotta admit....a hard book to find lying around at garage and estate sales....I attended this one and many others in the 90s and have never regretted it once.

Post 18 IP   flag post

Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
YOU SHOULD BE!!

Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
I just got this in the mail

That is new.....interesting.

Did you get that because of a special purchase or was it included with every badge sale?

Is that a ashcan of TWD or just a SDCC advert with TWD as the hook?

Looks cool!
Post 21 IP   flag post
@ZosoRocks I'm not sure if they're doing this for every badge or just the professional badges. The Walking Dead thing is not a comic, it's the actual badge you have to scan at the door to get in/out. They started using them last year and did it at WonderCon this year.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Aaaah.....now that is cooler than the previous years.

Nice collectible too.

Thanks!
Post 23 IP   flag post
Here is a 1st edition Neil Gaiman short story I picked up in 1995, as you can tell.

It is signed by the sculptor and by Gaiman, and then it finally was reprinted in the "Smoke and Mirrors" short story collection published I think in 1996/7.

Would this be considered a first printing/edition? I've always wondered. Maybe there is a book collector that can give me some insight.

Zoom in on the story...it is a good read.

Thanks in advance.

Post 24 IP   flag post
601252 24 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?