Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeMovies TelevisionPop Culture

Cover Contest Week 39 - SHARK WEEK!!!2954

COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
How do you declare a fair winner if people can vote as many covers as they want?

Yeah, that would probably get messy fast

The point is to make it simple, most votes wins no matter who voted or how many times they voted on the same cover or multiple covers.

Lots of triple votes, high totals, etc, but bottom line is most votes wins
Post 51 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I cast my vote.

None for me yet.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Allowing early voting would artificially inflate the vote totals of earlier entries since you are only allowed to vote on one cover.
Post 53 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Quote:
How do you declare a fair winner if people can vote as many covers as they want?

Yeah, that would probably get messy fast

The point is to make it simple, most votes wins no matter who voted or how many times they voted on the same cover or multiple covers.

Lots of triple votes, high totals, etc, but bottom line is most votes wins

Post 54 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

That's Dr Chaos.

I didn't spend six years in Chaotic Medical School to be called Captain.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Love shark covers and there were some awesome posts here. I think the issue with early votes will never be 100% solved but I have a small suggestion that could help a tad. First off the instructions are well written and it is amazing the contest has lasted so many weeks. It's a lot of fun and a great way to view themed comic book covers.

Anyhow at the top of the instructions are these part of the rules:

====================================
Each week we will vote on who had the best cover.

- Friday begins the new contest.
- Wednesday at 12 noon EST is the cutoff which starts voting that will go through Thursday at 11:59 PM EST.
- Please vote through the built in "Thumbs Up" system. One vote per person.

The winner will choose the next theme and begin a new thread.

I know there are some great writers on this board, some very sharp minds. I suggest one of our best writers slightly tweak this section as a means of gaining attention to newcomers and as a reminder to the old guard. Put some of the wording in bold and emphasize the no early vote rule. As an example:

Each week we will vote on who had the best cover.

- Friday begins the new contest.
- Votind starts Wednesday at 12 noon EST and will go through Thursday at 11:59 PM EST.
- Please vote through the built in "Thumbs Up" system. One vote per person. Please do not vote early before Wednesday 12 noon!!!

The winner will choose the next theme and begin a new thread.

I'm not sure who wrote the excellent original rules but maybe he would be a great candidate to retool this section.
Post 56 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@JLS_Comics is the creator, and after looking at the original, it seems its been modified a bit already.

We are at week 39, going strong yet talking about rule changes. What's that old saying, if it aint broke....fix it? 🤔
Post 57 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
@JLS_Comics is the creator, and after looking at the original, it seems its been modified a bit already.

We are at week 39, going strong yet talking about rule changes. What's that old saying, if it aint broke....fix it? 🤔

I'm not suggesting a rule change. Just a small tweak and slightly clearer wording. No biggie either way. I don't think it's broken and I still think it's a fun way to share themed covers. Many of these I've never seen before....
Post 58 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Ooops! Removing an off topic post I made.
Post 59 IP   flag post
@X51 now I'm curious what it was lol
Post 60 IP   flag post
I win by a hair! I'll have the new contest ready in the morning.
Post 61 IP   flag post
@Darkga you actually won by a landslide once the invalid votes are dropped.
Post 62 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Congrats @Darkga
Post 63 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacaboca
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Anybody can google a photo or book. I think the book should have to be in your collection.

I actually agree - I've only ever submitted books that I have in my collection. I don't however generally pull the book out and scan it, I google and find a decent image of the cover.

That said, this is all about cool covers I think, making it a rule that it has to be in your collection *and* be a picture/scan of your actual book would take away from the easy fun, with no real value in return on the additional asspain factor... just my perspective anyway

I agree with BigRedOne. Books should always originate from the owner's collection. Googling images actually takes away from the fun as anyone can find representative images. AFAIC, it's cheating, like copying some one else's work on a test. Every image posted in the game thread has come from my own collection.

Thought my high grade LB Cole CatMan shark cover would've gotten at least a bit more attention since it was sought out for the LB Cole book and used as a full page plate in the front. Zero votes. C'est le vie.

My point is that we should be celebrating participant's collections and creative posting choices in this game, not the ability to locate images on-line. That's just lazy, and not very interesting, IMO.
Post 64 IP   flag post
@catmanamerica We are going on 40 straight weeks in a row with the same rules so clearly people are enjoying it and finding it interesting. It's fun to post covers and - quite frankly - limiting it to peoples' collections is going to greatly reduce the amount of entries and that will become very boring very fast.
If we do that this contest will die out
Post 65 IP   flag post
@CatmanAmerica

I disagree. The contest revolves around what is the best cover representing the theme, not who owns the best cover (or book). We have other threads that celebrate collections and rare books, such as "The Golden Age" and the "New to Your Collection" threads.

The contest does have a tie-breaker provision though that states if covers are tied, the CBCS slabbed book wins. This at least gives some weight to books in the person's collection.
Post 66 IP   flag post
Collector vacaboca private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
I agree with BigRedOne. Books should always originate from the owner's collection. Googling images actually takes away from the fun as anyone can find representative images. AFAIC, it's cheating, like copying some one else's work on a test. Every image posted in the game thread has come from my own collection.

I think that's nice in theory, but if I have to actually pull out a book and scan it to "play" in the contest, my participation is going to drop by 90%... while the value of me googling an image representing that same exact cover is 95% the same to anyone else in the contest as if I had scanned my own.

I think @JLS_Comics said it well:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
We are going on 40 straight weeks in a row with the same rules so clearly people are enjoying it and finding it interesting. It's fun to post covers...
Post 67 IP   flag post
Quote:
@catmanamerica We are going on 40 straight weeks in a row with the same rules so clearly people are enjoying it and finding it interesting. It's fun to post covers and - quite frankly - limiting it to peoples' collections is going to greatly reduce the amount of entries and that will become very boring very fast.
If we do that this contest will die out

You can't know this. Maybe the rules can be tweaked to give extra points to entries from personal collections. Thinking outside the box requires a little thinking inside the short-box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
@CatmanAmerica

I disagree. The contest revolves around what is the best cover representing the theme, not who owns the best cover (or book). We have other threads that celebrate collections and rare books, such as "The Golden Age" and the "New to Your Collection" threads.

The contest does have a tie-breaker provision though that states if covers are tied, the CBCS slabbed book wins. This at least gives some weight to books in the person's collection.

The tie-breaker provision is fine, but should separate CBCS slabbed books from raw or CGC books. I joined in under the impression that it was a contest for examples from fan's collections, not a simple cut-and-paste from any source. To me, that's like comparing the game of checkers to chess. I'd think most folks would see the former as far less challenging, but what do I know. So much for the checkers speech.
Post 68 IP   flag post
I've used covers (thus far) that I own in my collection but have used ebay/google for some of the images. Unfortunately some of us (me) are not as nicely organized as the "pros" amongst us. My collection I'm sure is smaller than most here but is still around 5,000 books. I have been making slow (and enjoyable) progress and have nearly 500 of them semi-organized. Fact is I've collected for years and don't know where every comic book I own is located. I have multiple boxes, bages, totes, etc loaded with the beasts. Evertime I crack open a box I find comics I could swear I've never seen before (many a grab/mystery bag purchased). To add to this fun mess is my chaotic schedule. If you back track the date stamps, you'd see my posts come from pretty much every hour of the day and night.

Bottom line (like the Double Connections thread) is to have a few fun threads to take a breather from the sometimes contentious "value" threads that rightfully dominate this board.

There are bigger crimes on this earth than a few stray multiple or early votes and/or googling an offshoot comic book here or there or everywhere!!!🍺🍺😎🍺🍺
Post 69 IP   flag post
Here's an idea, if you want a contest that is strictly limited to personal ownership, start a brand new contest completely separate from this one. This contest is fine as is.
Post 70 IP   flag post
Quote:
Here's an idea, if you want a contest that is strictly limited to personal ownership, start a brand new contest completely separate from this one. This contest is fine as is.

Bad idea. Dueling theme driven contests would likely turn folks off of one or both. Although not the focus of the contest, why shouldn't personal ownership be considered in the criteria? All I'm saying is that the "Googled image" thing is boring and unimaginative. Anyone can Google up a selection of choice images by entering a word and clicking it. Where's the challenge in that?

Also, fans who own theme books are disadvantaged by those who rely on Google images. Is it fair for collectors to play second fiddle to those who don't own the books in question but are a little quicker on the trigger with Google images?

The only thing I'd recommend is tightening the rules a little so that it would be more fun for those who collect themed books. I'm not totally opposed to the use of Google if the image provider has an unscanned copy of that book in their collection, but I think that should be stipulated in the guidelines to make the contest a little more challenging and fun.

Naturally, this is just my opinion, informed by the rules in place. Mileage will vary on this and no offense is intended, but for my part, I'll never post images of books I don't own in a contest.

Cheers,
Cat
Post 71 IP   flag post
It should not be considered because us poor kids with small insignificant collections would always be left in the dust. It would become class warfare. Also, there's no way to verify anyone owns anything. I can tell you I own a Tales of Suspense #39, how do you know that I don't?
Post 72 IP   flag post
Just an example, the cover that I won with for Best Use of a Cape week. Darth Vader #3 1:25 variant, it's a $100 dollar book on a slow day, I own it today because I found a good deal on it, but at the time of the contest I didn't own it and it wasn't something I could immediately buy. Had I been limited to ownership, not only would I not have won because I couldn't use it, but it's likely that nobody would have thought to enter that cover at all that week and the cover which clearly best fit the theme by popular vote would have not even been entered.
Post 73 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I usually post when I am at work. I'd be out most weeks because I don't have my books with me and even if I did, I wouldn't stop and scan it.
I say leave it as is
Post 74 IP   flag post
If anyone thinks the contest is boring and unimaginative the best thing to do is leave it to the folks who do in fact enjoy it and focus on the myriad of other threads that might better fit your criteria
Post 75 IP   flag post
Quote:
It should not be considered because us poor kids with small insignificant collections would always be left in the dust. It would become class warfare. Also, there's no way to verify anyone owns anything. I can tell you I own a Tales of Suspense #39, how do you know that I don't?

Class warfare!? How can that be when you represent the power of the Federation and I'm just a lowly ale purveyor supporting the resistance?

Quote:
I usually post when I am at work. I'd be out most weeks because I don't have my books with me and even if I did, I wouldn't stop and scan it.
I say leave it as is

Scan it at home, upload to Photobucket, rinse thoroughly and post at leisure from work.

I'm sure that nothing will change, but I'm a persistent cuss.

Quote:
If anyone thinks the contest is boring and unimaginative the best thing to do is leave it to the folks who do in fact enjoy it and focus on the myriad of other threads that might better fit your criteria

So, your suggestion would be to cut off any discussion in respect to ideas that might improve the guidelines. I'll certainly take your viewpoint under advisement. Do you have any opinions on climate change?
Post 76 IP   flag post
I believe all suggestions should be freely presented and discussed. Zero harm in that. If someone does put forth an idea that makes the contest more fun for everyone (or at least the majority) it probably will be implemented. To a point someone made earlier and something I've observed. The member contestants are generally the same people every week with a few strays here and there (mind that I'm still a relative newbie). This tells me this contest is not everybodies cup of tea. If we put more restrictions in the rules we may lose a handful of core players.

Having said that, I predict a very high turnout for the current Star Wars theme. May infuse new blood into the game. Anyway, it's an interesting discussion.

It's FRIDAY.... to the bar......

😎🍺🍺🍺
Post 77 IP   flag post
Quote:

So, your suggestion would be to cut off any discussion in respect to ideas that might improve the guidelines. I'll certainly take your viewpoint under advisement. Do you have any opinions on climate change?

No that is not my suggestion and I said nothing of the sort. You sound like a reasonably intelligent man so I suspect you knew that and were just attempting to be snarky. (I'm ignoring the climate change question) I am all for voicing opinions (obviously) but when you keep making the same points over and over again perhaps it is time to move on.

Re: finding pictures online.. isn't that what the majority of people are doing in the double connections thread?
Post 78 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

No that is not my suggestion and I said nothing of the sort. You sound like a reasonably intelligent man so I suspect you knew that and were just attempting to be snarky. (I'm ignoring the climate change question) I am all for voicing opinions (obviously) but when you keep making the same points over and over again perhaps it is time to move on.

Re: finding pictures online.. isn't that what the majority of people are doing in the double connections thread?

If I misread your post, that's on me, but from my reasonably intelligent perspective your comment seemed condescending and dismissive, ...deserving of a little shark, excuse me, snark.

Repetitive points, ...really? That wasn't my perception, but I guess that's on me too. How many times did I voice the same opinion in your estimation?

In the Double Connections thread, all of the images I post are scans from my collection, but in setting it up I didn't make hard and fast rules that apply to other's images. Of course, that thread isn't a contest, it's a challenge, ...a noteworthy difference.

I'm not losing any sleep over the Contest of The Week rules. If Googled images are the standard, no problem. All I did was present my observations. Food for thought, nothing more.

As you've suggested it is time to move on. If you wish to continue the discussion via PM, feel free.

Cheers,
Cat
Post 79 IP   flag post
@CatmanAmerica will it help your feels if the name is officially changed to "Cover Challenge?"
Post 80 IP   flag post
600876 83 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?