Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsQuestions

Comic-Con submissions question.2942

Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
So it's still about 50/50 on whether I attend the upcoming phoenix Comic-Con. In preparation I'm sorting through the highest quality and value comic books I own. I've identified about 100 slabbing candidates and figure another 50 or so by days end. After today I will take the time to further narrow the field to the absolute "best of the best" comic books. If I still have too many at that point I will do one final quality cut down before the weekend.

Question is when submitting to CBCS in person is bag and board sufficient? Or should I "bullet proof" the comic s like when mailing in? Any oher suggestions/tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
I do a Golden Age bag/board, then SA bag/board w/comic inside that. THEN put another GA board in the bag on top of the cover. Write the pertinent CBCS form info on the outermost board. Excessive, certainly, but if a book or box is dropped or someone grabs the book in a weird way, you want the board(s) taking the brunt of any force, not your book.

Or just submit in a toploader.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I use bag & board + toploaders when mailing in.

In person, they usually suggest I take back the toploaders. The person at the booth earlier this year said "we have our own system".
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
I use bag & board + toploaders when mailing in.

In person, they usually suggest I take back the toploaders. The person at the booth earlier this year said "we have our own system".

Hmm, not entirely clear here. "Take back the toplaoders"? They have you remove it from the top loader? Then they install the books into their own system? I just picked up some top loaders last week and just now thought that might be the way to go. Thanks.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
A toploader sounds excessive most certainly But will keep the book protected. Just know you'll never get it back...that's why they suggest keeping it
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Savage_Spawn Definitely transport them to the show in toploaders, though.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector General_Zod private msg quote post Address this user
I'm in the same boat! Going tomorrow, I believe.

From my experience with CGC years ago, they take your books and wrap them up and place them in boxes full of bubble wrap to ship back. I didn't use any toploaders back then but my books were fine and I protected them from the crowds.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user
Just use a bag & board
Post 8 IP   flag post
Got my gameplan, thanks all. One annoying quirk I have is the fine art of procrastination. I've known about this comic con for several weeks now and should have had my submission picks already sorted out. Always running things at the last minute. Increases the chance of error.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Savage_Spawn Are you going to do the submission process online before the show? That will make it easier on you the day of.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
@Savage_Spawn Are you going to do the submission process online before the show? That will make it easier on you the day of.

Excellent idea!!! Get all the info done ahead and save everyone time. I would have barged in there and jammed up the line. 😎
Post 11 IP   flag post
Exactly. Less time at the booth = more time enjoining the show.

Just be sure to keep an extra copy of the invoice for your personal records.

A book I wanted raw graded ended up being slabbed. Not a big deal, but since the online order was altered at CBCS, it looked like that's what was ordered. It is gonna be resolved, but it would have been an easier correction if I had a hardcopy of the invoice on hand.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Hmm, forgot about the raw grade option. Maybe take in a couple extra if the comic warrants it. Thanks for the tips.
Post 13 IP   flag post
597868 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?