Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Building a Comic Book Cabinet in my my Cave2934

Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
I'm Jelly
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
BUILDING A COMIC BOOK CABINET IN MY GRAVE - that is how I first saw this threadline topic. 😂
Post 27 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
BUILDING A COMIC BOOK CABINET IN MY GRAVE - that is how I first saw this threadline topic. 😂

Well, at one point I did think it was going to be the death of me. The wife was none too happy with the saw dust and foam insulation mess I was making in the garage and dragging back and forth into the house.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Thanks for the encouraging comments guys! As I was doing this project kind of on the fly, there were a few set backs along the way.

While cost did weigh in on my decision, there were other factors involved that eventually swayed me to go with customizing the Drawer boxes.

#1 The Comic Drawer boxes and their design with their two part inner shell make them Super Strong as well as being Acid Free. They also completely enclose my books, even over the top side. I feel they offer my books better protection, than a standard file cabinet type drawer.

#2 They are individual, independent modular units, meaning if I were to ever move from this residence I can simply pull the finished wood slats and foam board dividers Pull my Drawer boxes and take them with me and then easily convert the remaning cabinet opening into a finished closet.

#3 After speaking with a few local cabinet makers I came to realize that if I did spend the money on them I would be limited to those units. Believe me! My ego really had me a frog's hair away from having them built, but my inner voice kept telling me I would have much more creative Freedom in being able to amend, edit or even change my design to better meet my needs should my needs change in the future.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Now Back to the Build!

Having now established my first row of drawers and their spacing. I needed to decide how I was going to design and make the Drawer Fronts.

At this point I decided to cut a few Proto-Type drawer covers out of some scap plywood.
At first I thought about just making the Drawer fronts solid and mounting some type of handle on them.
I scapped that Idea in favor of making each Drawer front its own book display.

This created another problem though. How would I make them each hold a book for display.

After much trial and error, I cut some more proto type drawer fronts, this time using 1/4 inch hardboard.

My next issue was, How to design a way to make the Drawer fronts not only functional, but also a display for the comics. I kind of knew what I wanted to do, but I hadn't yet been able to find the right material to do it.

My plan was to make some kind of "Rail system" that the books could slide into and then Slide out of the way to expose the "Pull Slots" for the drawers. At first I tried the make these "Rails" out of wood, but that failed miserably. So I was kind of in a bind on the project. UNTIL! One day I was just wondering around Menards looking for possible ideas when I stumbled across this PVC Channel used on house siding. IT was PERFECT! $3 bucks for a 8 ft strip made it cheap as well!

I would need to cut and fabricate a set for each drawer. In the Picture above you can seen a sample Piece of the White PVC Channel by the pencils. More on the rails in a minute.

After cutting and assembling all the Drawer fronts for the first row of Drawers, I was all set to go!

More books in the cabinet!

Tim Truman's work on Grim Jack is the title that really drew me back into comic Books back in 1985.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944, Great play-by-play! Thanks for detailing this.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
@BigRedOne1944, Great play-by-play! Thanks for detailing this.

Thanks jrs

The entire "Cabinet build" Post is from a few years ago and I have been cutting and pasting the text from where I originally posted it.

My apologies for any typos or out of order or repeatative text.

Post 32 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I really like the approach you took using the drawer boxes as the actual drawers and how they can all be up and moved individually when needed.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
I really like the approach you took using the drawer boxes as the actual drawers and how they can all be up and moved individually when needed.

Darth

While the inner Drawers can be removed. The two part outer shell mounted inside the framing and foam board spacers are Not going anywhere without ripping the framing apart.

I really love the drawer Boxes, as they are SUPER STRONG. Another reason I went with them as opposed to the "File Cabinet" style drawers, was because they offer complete protection on all four sides of the books enclosed in them.

Unlike the File Cabinet drawers that have nothing over the top side of them once they are closed inside the framing.

The Comic Drawer Boxes are also completely Acid Free as well.

Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin
I always wondered how others stored comics. Especially once their collections get into 1,000+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin
I always wondered how others stored comics. Especially once their collections get into 1,000+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin

Boxes upon boxes, that's how.

I have 40,000 plus, and I store them in my bedroom closet. Mrs Orbit is a bit angry about it, but it keeps down her shoe collection.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector burntboy private msg quote post Address this user
That must be one BIG AZZ Closet...
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin
I always wondered how others stored comics.

I have 40,000 plus, and I store them in my bedroom closet. Mrs Orbit is a bit angry about it, but it keeps down her shoe collection.

Out of that 40,000 how many are duplicates? You must have been collection a long time and have some amazing key issues!!
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
That is one stuffed closet.
Post 38 IP   flag post
THEN! I attempted to paint them with an Acrylic Spray paint and ruined them all, because the paint would not adhere to the Hardboard properly. ARRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!
I had to remove them all and start all over. You can see the junk ones in the fore ground after I remade and assembled another set.

I don't know what I was thinking, I should have known that the hardboard would need to be primed before painting. The other problem was finding the right product to prime the hardboard.
Apparently this Hardboard is use by artist and painters and I came across a web-site on how they prime and
prepare their hardboard for acrylic and oil painting. They used an acrylic paste primer called "Gesso" to prime and prepare their boards for painting. The new fronts I made in the photo above were primed and sanded using the Gesso primer.

I was now ready for my second attempt at painting them!

While Using the Gesso solved the primer problem, it would not be the last of my painting woes.
I ruined countless more of the Drawer fronts with impatient painting. 5-6 light even coats were needed.

Trying to circumvent the process only resulted in runs and Paint separation, especially on the PVC channels. The final 3-4 coats of Clear Coat sealer also caused similar problems if applied in to heavy of coats.

Good Thing the Hardboard and PVC channel was cheap, because I was going through it like gangbusters!

More ruined Fronts laying in the front. I had to stop and go outside and burn my burnpile it was getting so big!

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!

Soooo...... After finally perfecting my painting technique I FINALLY got the first row of Drawer Faces done. Now it was time to see if all my measuring and plotting would pay off in establishing my next level of Drawers. The most critical part was establishing the first cedar boards making up the base of the second level, The reveal had to be perfect to match the lower level Drawer faces, as well as the finished wood Spacer slats on the second level.

The Photo limitations of this board REALLY sucks! My big sharp photos are basically reduced to friggin thumbnails.

UP NEXT: LEVEL TWO!
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin
I always wondered how others stored comics.

Out of that 40,000 how many are duplicates? You must have been collection a long time and have some amazing key issues!!

Probably around 5%.

Other than my back log of current comics (mostly DC rebirth and ASM and other spider titles) I've read almost every original book. I do buy books occasionally for strict investment purposes.

The closet is an oversized walk-in, but I managed to be pretty good at organising and storing. I also have a library filled with comic related items and about 5,000 comic books or so are kept in there. I'd store more in the library, but I have 8 full sized bookshelves filled with regular (novels, biographies, etc) books.
Post 40 IP   flag post
@BigRedOne1944 Nice cabinet. I might steal it for my next house.
Post 41 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
Loving this thread man!! Cabinet is looking great!! Will steal some of these ideas when Im in my next house
Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitCityComics
Nice cabinet. I might steal it for my next house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine
Loving this thread man!! Cabinet is looking great!! Will steal some of these ideas when Im in my next house

Its all patent pending guys, Please send royality checks to........
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like a big job. Looking forward to the final product.
Post 44 IP   flag post
LEVEL TWO

OK, Im back with my next installment!

I left off getting ready to install my second level of drawers.

After establishing the reveal for the cedar boards making up the base of the second level it was time to get started on making the Spacing foam boards and the finished spacer slats. The wife was not happy with this process!!! I ripped the 2inch foam board on my table saw and that crap was EVERYWHERE!

So Far so good as the cedar board base went down pretty smooth with no problems.

OK, One issue I had was how I was going the secure the Finished wood faces to the foam board Spacers. I didn't want any nails or screws to show and besides, that wasn't an option for the obvious reason screws and or nails were not going to hold securely into the foam board spacers. I cut a series of grooves onto the back side of the painted spacer boards and they were liquid nailed to the foam board. Two trim nails are also securing it from the top through the cedar base board. They were pretty darn solid.

The other thing about my construction plan that I mentioned early, That if I were to ever move from this residence I could simply pull out the Foam Spacers, Take my Drawers of books and easily convert the opening to a closet.

After establishing the second level of drawers and completing the construction and painting of the spacers, the second level was ready for the drawer covers.

After learning from my mistakes, the second level drawer faces were completed and installed much smoother. Still, it was a time consuming process in making each Drawer face fit just perfect.

Now it was just a matter of repeating the whole process for the third level of Drawers, Which you can now see I completed

At this point I had come to a cross road in the project. After the 3rd level of Comic Drawers the design was going to change in order to accommodate other areas of my collection, such as Magazines, Graphic novels, LP records, CGC graded comics and my Card collection as well as a spot for my Stereo Equipment. So it was once again time to do some measuring and figuring. I initially thought I might be able to work a Flat screen TV into the unit, but I simply ran out of room to do so.

NEXT UP: LEVEL FOUR!

Until then...... Some more items from Vault!

Post 45 IP   flag post
600868 45 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?