Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Restoration and Conservation

Restored 6.0 or Unrestored 3.0?2921

Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
The ding on the top left of the back would probably come out with pressing.

What's He asking?

He's asking $1250 + paypal fees and insured shipping (fedex)

I bought it. That's less than any of the graded 1.8, 2.0 and 3.0 on Ebay at the moment.

Appreciate the advice, this is HUGE for me.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Then, no matter what, you win.
Post 27 IP   flag post
And, of course, congratulations!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
And, of course, congratulations!

Thanks! My holiest of grails! Now I just need to wait to get back to the states so I can send it to get pressed and graded! Going to suck not being able to see it in person for another two month
Post 29 IP   flag post
You could fill out the form online, e-mail it to a family member, & have them submit it for grading while you're gone?

Then, when you get home, it's already slabbed!
Post 30 IP   flag post

And following the grading process online while you're gone gives you something to look forward to.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
You could fill out the form online, e-mail it to a family member, & have them submit it for grading while you're gone?

Then, when you get home, it's already slabbed!

I like this idea, but I'm not sure I trust my wife to do this properly...she doesn't see comics the way I do haha
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Congratulations with the purchase. There is always a risk buying raw - especially for key comics, so if you hope for the best and expect the worse you would be ok.

My key concern if I were you is whether restored so I would submit immediately (you can always get it pressed later) so if it turns out to be restored you can revert to the seller within reasonable time or within the timeline stipulate if purchased through an intermediate (don't believe you purchased through eBay)
Post 33 IP   flag post
Maybe not. But you'd hope she'd treat a $1200 book well. ๐Ÿ˜†
Post 34 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Congratulations the book presents pretty nice
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Congratulations with the purchase. There is always a risk buying raw - especially for key comics, so if you hope for the best and expect the worse you would be ok.

My key concern if I were you is whether restored so I would submit immediately (you can always get it pressed later) so if it turns out to be restored you can revert to the seller within reasonable time or within the timeline stipulate if purchased through an intermediate (don't believe you purchased through eBay)

This was a fear of mine and buying raw online terrifies me. Especially with a comic like this. I researched into the guy and we've been talking for a few days but you never know. I definitely agree with you that I should hope for the best and expect the worse. Guess I should have my wife send it directly to CBCS and get the process rolling.
Post 36 IP   flag post
@Thanatos - if you do - hope she will pack it well for you and enjoy the very nice dinner you are giving when you are back ๐Ÿ˜
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Likely a good buy, but the situation the OP is in may present problems.

The problem with this book is the spine integrity looks to be pretty weak.There is a fair amount of oxidation on the edges of the inner front cover.Oxidation along the edges of the cover of a book, os not unusual, considering the edges of the cover is where the paper is most vulnerable to environmental factors/subpar storage.

The pic supplied shows the book was bagged in a regular silver age polybag and board, basically a 10 to 15 cent investment on the sellers' part.That makes me think the seller does not know how to handle books.If packed like that, odds are that the cover will suffer further tearing at the weakest point, and possibly detach from the staples.

The OP better make sure the book is bagged & boarded in a Mylite2 with TWO full back boards, with the flap of the Mylite 2 completely creased so there is no air bubble between the baxking board,book and Mylite2 flap, after the flap is taped.I would than have the book slid into a magazine sized top loader, with 1-2 magazine board(s).Than you have to consider pressure being exerted on the spine via compression from the top loader, so the spine has to be safe from compression, but still supported with no wiggle room in the top loader.

I will post pics of how this actually looks, later today.

Far as possible resto, have Steve Ricketts press the book.Ask for any resto to be removed, before the book is pressed, if there is any resto detected.Pro resto can be removed, amateur resto, not so much.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:

Likely a good buy, but the situation the OP is in may present problems.

The problem with this book is the spine integrity looks to be pretty weak.There is a fair amount of oxidation on the edges of the inner front cover.Oxidation along the edges of the cover of a book, os not unusual, considering the edges of the cover is where the paper is most vulnerable to environmental factors/subpar storage.

The pic supplied shows the book was bagged in a regular silver age polybag and board, basically a 10 to 15 cent investment on the sellers' part.That makes me think the seller does not know how to handle books.If packed like that, odds are that the cover will suffer further tearing at the weakest point, and possibly detach from the staples.

The OP better make sure the book is bagged & boarded in a Mylite2 with TWO full back boards, with the flap of the Mylite 2 completely creased so there is no air bubble between the baxking board,book and Mylite2 flap, after the flap is taped.I would than have the book slid into a magazine sized top loader, with 1-2 magazine board(s).Than you have to consider pressure being exerted on the spine via compression from the top loader, so the spine has to be safe from compression, but still supported with no wiggle room in the top loader.

I will post pics of how this actually looks, later today.

Far as possible resto, have Steve Ricketts press the book.Ask for any resto to be removed, before the book is pressed, if there is any resto detected.Pro resto can be removed, amateur resto, not so much.

Appreciate the advice, If I were home when this arrived I think I would go ahead and follow your instructions before shipping to CBCS. My concern would be that explaining this process to my wife over video chat sounds like an incredibly stressful situation (I don't think she has never touched a comic in her life). I'd almost prefer if she just verified the comic wasn't damaged during shipment without taking it out of the bag, package it back up the way it was and add some extra cardboard/bubble wrap and have her ship it straight to CBCS. A few more days in the polybag won't hurt right?

Regardless, this is good information for my other comics. Probably about that time to update bags/boards for the rest of my collection.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Iรขโ‚ฌโ„ขm sure whatever it was you got me was perfect. PhantomEwan private msg quote post Address this user
Always awesome to see someone get a grail! I love the have it graded and waiting for you when you get home idea. Especially with pressing, I get so impatient waiting, would be an increadible welcome home, IMHO.
Post 40 IP   flag post
It shipped! Though I can't lie, even though it's got cardboard on both sides I'm quite nervous about the seller shipping a $1000+ comic in an envelope rather than a box. At least it's insured lol

Also, my wife has my CBCS invoice ready to go and I went with @CopperAgeKids advice and ordered some Mylite 2 bags and full backboards. I'm just going to make sure I walk my wife through it over video chat.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Sending a $1000+ book in an envelope? Hope I won't buy from that seller.

Hope all goes well
Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
Sending a $1000+ book in an envelope? Hope I won't buy from that seller.

Hope all goes well

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed considering I paid almost $50 for shipping. I might die if it is damaged when I get it.
Post 43 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome book, congrats!

There's a bad case of foxing (almost looks like rust). I've never seen it go all the way through a book like this, but I had a book with a healthy spattering of it grade 7.0.

What's concerning is the whitish ring around it, I've never seen that. It could be that someone tried using solvent ๐Ÿ˜ฌ, im really not sure

Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Awesome book, congrats!

There's a bad case of foxing (almost looks like rust). I've never seen it go all the way through a book like this, but I had a book with a healthy spattering of it grade 7.0.

What's concerning is the whitish ring around it, I've never seen that. It could be that someone tried using solvent ๐Ÿ˜ฌ, im really not sure

Do you think this kind of severe foxing would indicate a brittle cover/pages? Perhaps I should skip the press if the comic is more fragile than I think and could potentially be damaged in the process.

If this comic grades at a 3.0 or above, I'll be thoroughly happy.
Post 45 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos
Do you think this kind of severe foxing would indicate a brittle cover/pages?
The two arent related. Also note as well that if Steve gets a book that could be damaged from a press/clean, he's smart enough to either turn it down or do only what the book can handle.
Post 46 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I was unaware that @SteveRicketts does resto removal. Is this fact or fiction?
Post 47 IP   flag post
596795 47 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?