Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Restoration and Conservation

Restored 6.0 or Unrestored 3.0?2921

Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
If you were looking for a Silver Age grail and had the option to pick up a graded Restored 6.0 with "Amateur Restoration includes - A small amount of color touch on cover, cover reinforced" or a graded unrestored 3.0 for the same price, which would you prefer and why?

edit: Clarified the question, confused myself reading the original post out loud lol
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Unrestored 3.0 unless if removal of the restorations on the restored copy would result in a grade higher than 3.0
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos
If you were looking for a Silver Age grail and had the option to pick up a graded Restored 6.0 with "Amateur Restoration includes - A small amount of color touch on cover, cover reinforced" or a graded unrestored 3.0 for the same price, which would you prefer and why?

edit: Clarified the question, confused myself reading the original post out loud lol

It's all what you want. I bought AVENGERS 7 (CGC: 9.0) for $105.00 and Fantastic Four 31 (CGC: 8.5) for $85.00. Both silver age comic books and both restored (A small amount of color touch on cover). They look great and to the naked eye you can't tell the difference.

It's your collection. Are you looking to resell it or keep it? Either way it's all what you want and who cares what others think.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
It's your collection. Are you looking to resell it or keep it? Either way it's all what you want and who cares what others think.

This would be a keeper.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Mio private msg quote post Address this user
6.0R
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

This would be a keeper.

Then get it done, then find one in better condition and sell yours.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
When buying a book for me and not an investment, I almost always go with the better looking copy. If it was professional restoration I would say go with the six, easy choice. But, because it's amateur restoration those touches might be hideous marks glaring at you when you look at the book 😬

Very tough choice if you can't hold both books in your hand
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
The unrestored 3.0, an altered condition 6.0 is not something I would want in my collection. Although you may think it's a keeper today. Down the road resale value will likely be higher on the 3.0. Also finding a buyer on a restored book is difficult, because it's an altered original edition.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I personally always think someday I may sell it. As such, resell value plays a factor in every purchase.

I'd go with the 3.0, or hold out & save up for at least a 4.0.

But, as everyone has said, it's your collection bro. If a restored copy would satisfy you, no worries.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
When I hear cover reinforced, it sounds like the book could of been a fair to good before restoration. That is why it likely would command a lower value than an unrestored 3.0. However without looking at the book outside of the slab, it would be difficult to give it an accurate grade.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector burntboy private msg quote post Address this user
I'm surprised that the two books are selling for the same price. Based on my continuing research, it's really hard to find any concrete way to price restored books. But, I'd think the unrestored 3.0 should be worth more and will likely be down the road.

If I were a huge fan of the book and intended on keeping it, I might go with the restored copy which should look much nicer.

All about personal preferences and what you intend to do with the book long term.

Good Luck...can you share the identity of the book with us??
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntboy

Good Luck...can you share the identity of the book with us??

I'm leaning towards being patient and waiting for an unrestored 3.0 at a price I can be happy with. I'm on the hunt for my Holy Grail, a Showcase #22. Restored 6.0 on scambay right now is priced the same as the unrestored 3.0's though I disagree with the price tag on the 3.0s since the last two sold went for hundreds less.

It took me 8 deployments before my wife gave me the green light to buy an SC22, need to make sure I take advantage before she changes her mind hahaha anybody on here happen to have a spare they'd like to sell?
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Thanatos Make the guy an offer. Let him know you're serious.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

This would be a keeper.

One more thing. I bought restored U.S.A. Comics #1 (1941). It was graded as a 9.0 from CGC. I paid $1,500 for it. A 9.0 NOT restored copy is $12,500. I've been told that a restored copy is worth about half or $6,250. I can't afford $12,500 but after cutting a few corners I was able to come up with $1,500. So if it's a keeper get it restored and add it to your collection.
Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
@Thanatos Wait for one to come up for auction on one of the big auction sites. Bid aggressive but not crazy and you should walk away with a better deal then if you did a buy it now somewhere. Just my 2-cents.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
@Thanatos Wait for one to come up for auction on one of the big auction sites. Bid aggressive but not crazy and you should walk away with a better deal then if you did a buy it now somewhere. Just my 2-cents.

I think this is what I'm going to do, the prices on ebay just aren't worth it and the books are "meh" for their grades. The CBCS 6.0 - Restored is pretty nice but still not sure how I feel about spending that much on a comic that potentially won't hold it's value.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This would be a keeper.

One more thing. I bought restored U.S.A. Comics #1 (1941). It was graded as a 9.0 from CGC. I paid $1,500 for it. A 9.0 NOT restored copy is $12,500. I've been told that a restored copy is worth about half or $6,250. I can't afford $12,500 but after cutting a few corners I was able to come up with $1,500. So if it's a keeper get it restored and add it to your collection.

If this was a CGC purple label, I probably wouldn't have looked at it twice but the CBCS Restored is so much more pleasing to the eye and it makes it a lot more tempting.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
I'd only go with restored on early Golden Age, because they are so scarce. Anything after say, 1941/1942, unrestored only.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Alright guys, the struggle is real but I found a raw Showcase #22 and these are the pictures provided by the seller. Hoping to get a best guess grade using these images and if there is any evidence of restoration (color touch mostly since the spine is pretty torn up), seller says he is unaware of any restoration. It looks like it presents really well. Appreciate the input guys! Hoping to get this deal done tonight or tomorrow.

Post 19 IP   flag post
3.5?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
3.5?

That would make me so happy. Negotiation phase!
Post 21 IP   flag post
Negotiate figuring a little lower & figure in grading fees.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Two more pictures with the mylar cover off, hopefully this works out.. Would look real good in a CBCS slab.

Post 23 IP   flag post
The ding on the top left of the back would probably come out with pressing.

What's He asking?
Post 24 IP   flag post
It looks better than 2.5.

Probably 3.0-3.5.

Definitely press it.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
The ding on the top left of the back would probably come out with pressing.

What's He asking?

He's asking $1250 + paypal fees and insured shipping (fedex)

I bought it. That's less than any of the graded 1.8, 2.0 and 3.0 on Ebay at the moment.

Appreciate the advice, this is HUGE for me.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Then, no matter what, you win.
Post 27 IP   flag post
And, of course, congratulations!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
And, of course, congratulations!

Thanks! My holiest of grails! Now I just need to wait to get back to the states so I can send it to get pressed and graded! Going to suck not being able to see it in person for another two month
Post 29 IP   flag post
You could fill out the form online, e-mail it to a family member, & have them submit it for grading while you're gone?

Then, when you get home, it's already slabbed!
Post 30 IP   flag post
596791 47 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?