Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

In theory. Options? What would you do?2911

Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Ok, let's say you pay $60 for a "key" comic book that has the front cover missing. Back cover is still solidly attached and comic is VG+. Sells fairly easily for $300 to $400 with full cover at that grade and incrementally higher at better grades. You have a chance to buy the same comic for $30. The second copy cover is intact stapled securely at VG+. The inside of the second comic is thrashed (writing, coloring, tears, cut out coupons, etc.) and rates Poor grade. What to do what to do???
Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
What to do what to do???

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
All you could do is replace the cover on the better copy.

Could it be detected? Would you be able to see all the clues
that trained experts can find on cover transfers?
* cover line up with interior?
* staples show signs of force?
* do staple holes in cover match staples of interior?

and that's off someone with no training on what to look for.

Other than to marry the couple, cover stays loose from interior, would it satisfy you if you bought the book from
someone else?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Savage_Spawn I would pass on both.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
If it's truly a key, inquire about the cost of having the cover married by a restoration company. If the cost of restoring the book and slabbing it still leaves you with a fair profit if you sell the book, buy the other copy and do it. It would be a great project to pursue.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Yep, buy both and combine them.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I believe I could "wiggle" out the back cover of the first copy. But in no way, shape, or form would I think of or have the ability to attach the secondary cover. I would simplify leave it loose and allow the potential buyer to decide. But I wasn't aware there are restoration options from a pro. I would note restored in the description. Probably best to pass on both as Brian suggested and save the whole hassle. Unless it's a comic I was looking to keep for relative cheap. Thanks again for the input.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Does CBCS offer a Marrying service/restoration program?

Or is that still a private industry?
Post 8 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
See I'm in the same boat with my missing page 31 from my Silver Surfer #4 signed by Stan Lee. After doing all the math, grading fees, etc, donor comic, and sending off for restoration, and getting back, shipping, grading again, getting a "page 31 married to page 30" and still getting a restored label...ready for this?...when it would be cheaper to find a complete replacement book for $800 and get Stan Lee to sign it for another $130, and it's still cheaper to just buy another better book when compared to the restoration fees!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
See I'm in the same boat with my missing page 31 from my Silver Surfer #4 signed by Stan Lee. After doing all the math, grading fees, etc, donor comic, and sending off for restoration, and getting back, shipping, grading again, getting a "page 31 married to page 30" and still getting a restored label...ready for this?...when it would be cheaper to find a complete replacement book for $800 and get Stan Lee to sign it for another $130, and it's still cheaper to just buy another better book when compared to the restoration fees!

The drawbacks to the hobby.

What is the book "really" worth?

To me? To me if I restore it? To me if I want to tI resell it? Good investment opp? Bad one? Pass or move forward?

*shrugs*
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke what have you been quoted for the marrying? Have you checked with Hero Restoration? I have seen them mentioned here several times.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I have to send the book in first got a quote
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
Really you have to send it in first? I have never check on resto. Id be hesitant too sending it in. You would think they could give you a price on marrying a page together.
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Well my choice would depend on the cost of having a pro do the marrying vs buying an intact copy. Not knowing either of those prices however, I can't say which.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

The drawbacks to the hobby.

To me? To me if I restore it? To me if I want to tI resell it? Good investment opp? Bad one? Pass or move forward?

*shrugs*

That's one perspective. Is it a drawback or simply an interesting challenge/puzzle to solve? Though I've collected for years and own waaaay too many comic books, I'm relatively new to the slabbing/restoring value aspect of it. In fact the very first Comic-Con I attended almost two years ago was kind of funny. I was looking for a reprint copy of action comics #1 for my collection. One guy had it in a slab and I was going to buy it. As I was fishing through other comics I picked up the slab and carefully looked at it. I asked the dude how easy it would be to snap it out of the case to read it and he looked at me in shock saying I didn't want to do that. A friend of mine was shaking his head like no no no don't buy it. I didn't buy it because I couldn't understand why anyone would purchase a comic they were unable to read. Now I know....
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe, put both books up for sale in an auction? Advertise it as a restoration project to recoup most, if not all your expenses so far. Then, put that money towards an already slabbed copy.

Just a thought.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Maybe, put both books up for sale in an auction? Advertise it as a restoration project to recoup most, if not all your expenses so far. Then, put that money towards an already slabbed copy.

Just a thought.

Another good option, yep. I should have mentioned in my original post I've yet to buy either comic. This is more a theoretical question to learn more from you guys. I actually have seen this similar situation several times while researching comic keys that you all discuss here. Thanks lots.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I've bought may comics over the years and thought "this would be a good restoration project" I've also learned about myself that I'm not going to do it. Now I just stick to buying comics that I accept as they are.
Post 18 IP   flag post
597868 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?