Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Storing Comics in General2875

Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
I did not want to hi-jack the thread about storing slabs, so I thought I would start a new one. My house does not have a lot of storage space and my office closet is about full of short boxes.

What are the necessary storage elements to keep books safe? I have considered my attic, but I am worried its too hot up there in the summer. I thought about encasing the short boxes in a large vacuum sealable bag with some moisture absorbing packets before I store them in a garage or something. Other than humidity and light, what should I be cautious of?

Thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Tough situation! Garage and Attic are going to give you the same result, the humidity will mirror what is outside. A vaccum bag could also cause condensation if it is not 100% tight, but that may be your best option.

Depending on what area of the country you live in, you could potentially opt for sealing your attic rather than standard ventilation. Normal properly built attics should be ventilated and thus at the ambient temperature of outside (to avoid premature aging of shingles from heat, and in winter, ice dams). If one were to spray foam the rafters with closed cell insulation (expensive but it solves the shingle/ice issues as well) and remove the attic floor insulation, your attic would then be "conditioned space" ambient to what you keep your home at, and perfect for comic storage.

I know I didnt really offer much for an answer to your direct question, but maybe that helps some.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Room temp and low to average humidity.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Dig a bunker at least 10 feet below the surface of the ground, but long and wide enough to house you fro 20 years.

Then install apocalyptic level temperature control features in your bunker. Eventually, you will have all the components available to you to survive with your comics intact and undamaged.

:o)
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Sell a few half boxes of the books that you do not care as much for. Then you will have space and it will feel good to purge a little. You can also have a garage sale and sell some bigger items to make space.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Edgar church kept his books in the basement, correct?

Underground is going to give you a nice temperature year-round, and consistent. I would imagine that daily temperature fluctuations are not good for books over time, don't want those molecules constantly expanding and contracting
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
If the humidity is controlled a basement is fine, but if moisture is an issue, which it can be in a basement, not good.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer Yep. Edgar's books where in the basement and in a basement closet. I keep mine in the basement away from the wall. They start about 3 feet off the floor on custom wooden shelves in a room. Then I run a dehumidifier in the room year round except in the winter when it is already drier. It also helps that all my books over about $20 in value are in Myler bags with half back boards. I feel very comfortable with this set up.
Post 8 IP   flag post
598061 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?