Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Just curious why CGC, CBCS and several other comic related companies are based in Florida? What is it about Florida that attracts all the comic service companies and shops? Tax credits for comics or something?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Old people?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know why, but, anyways, my mom used to live down in the Sarasota/St. Pete area and it is nice.

Here's a picture of me in the ocean, down there at Siesta Keys, that my sister took. I am flexing my muscles. It was December, at the time, and the water was pretty cold.

Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
It's nice down here year 'round.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
isn't the humidity bad for comic book preservation?

Wouldnt Maine or North Dakota be better? Lol
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
Quote:

Yes however everything indoors is basically climate controlled. I know all my books are stored in climate control that I'm very particular about.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
FL is very tax friendly. 0% individual income, 5.5% corporate income.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector bennyb86 private msg quote post Address this user
Its all a front for big AC companies. The whole comic industry is under the control of the Air Conditioning magnets.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
The Dali museum in St. Pete is pretty cool.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm sure they are attracted to Florida because it's hurricane alley and they want to see valuable comic books flying through the air and embedding themselves into the sides of the palm trees. That's the only reason I can imagine they'd setup there.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Comiclink is in Maine.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Why did half this thread vanish while I was away?
Post 12 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Drug memes, perhaps?
Post 13 IP   flag post
All there was before I left was Scarface, did Scarface hurt someone's sensibilities?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Why did half this thread vanish while I was away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Drug memes, perhaps?

It was elementary for Watson!!

According to the terms of usage, there is to be no illegal drug, controlled substances or illegal activity postings. The Scarface meme and comment covered two of those areas.

From the TOU - "Refrain from using inappropriate language, including language that may look, sound like, stand for, hint at, abbreviate, or insinuate profanity, hate speech [including but not limited to racial, ethnic, or religious slurs], illegal drugs/controlled substances or illegal activities."
Post 15 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O sorry bout that, didnt think jokes were part of that category. Duly noted 👍🏻
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
@Jesse_O sorry bout that, didnt think jokes were part of that category. Duly noted 👍🏻

Did you almost get another timeout?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
I'm sure they are attracted to Florida because it's hurricane alley and they want to see valuable comic books flying through the air and embedding themselves into the sides of the palm trees. That's the only reason I can imagine they'd setup there.

I'd be more concerned for the Carolinas and for Texas. We haven't had a major storm hit since Wilma in 2005 - over a decade ago - and these all hit the east coast not the west coast where Slab HQ is located
Post 18 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer

Did you almost get another timeout?

He wasn't even close. Drug humor is so prevalent in our society that it will show up on occasion. There was no real offense intended. But we are a public forum for people 16 years of age and up. To keep entire threads to being dedicated to those topics, the "zero tolerance" policy was adopted. Most times, we will just delete the post and not even bother to pm the offender. If it happens again, we point it out. Continued violations will require stricter measures, of course. And yes, memes are held to the same standards.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

The area that CBCS is in in St. Pete is somewhat protected. Well, as much as any area can be in that type of storm. I used to live in the 5th Street N. area of St. Pete a long time ago. My family's home town is Sarasota. We have a condo on Siesta Key on the Gulf side of Midnight Pass Road. I've seen Sarasota go from a sleepy little town that used to have a 3 par gold course on Siesta Key, and orange groves that went from in between Beneva and McIntosh Roads past where I-75 was put in to what it is now when I head home to visit family.

People live in Florida for various reasons. Weather, and personal taxes jump to the front of many reasons. What keeps me away is traffic. Getting around is a pain in the ass.
Post 20 IP   flag post
That makes sense.

Tx for clarifying that, Jesse 👌🏻
Post 21 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I spent 6 months in Pensacola and it was kind of a dive. Cigarettes were cheap on base though.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Just teasing about the storms. :P
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Just curious why CGC, CBCS and several other comic related companies are based in Florida? What is it about Florida that attracts all the comic service companies and shops? Tax credits for comics or something?

Do the founders/executives live there?
Post 24 IP   flag post
600860 24 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?