Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Holo stickers -do they affect grade?2840

Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I have some old Wizard 1/2 issues that come with holo stickers applied by the publisher - all the issues will have them just in different spots. I was thinking about sending some for grading/signature verification (for$10 Wizard would send you the book signed by say Chuck Dixon for Nightwing 1/2 etc etc.) Just wondering if how or if the stickers affect the grade.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
Almost positive you can only get an 8.5 with the stickers. Anyone else correct me if im wrong.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
I was told the highest start grade with a sticker is 8.5. Here is the result of mine:

Post 3 IP   flag post
Seems kind of stupid - it's not like you can even get the books without the sticker
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
You can have an expert remove the sticker
Post 5 IP   flag post
But wouldn't that then be some sort of chemical cleaning involved to remove the adhesive to then get you a restored grade?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Seems kind of stupid - it's not like you can even get the books without the sticker

I am sure there are books out there without the stickers. Some may have been missed during production, someone could have snagged one before the stickers were applied.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Most stickers can be slowly and carefully removed using the heat from a hairdryer. But I personally wouldn't try it on an expensive comic myself.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I know I've seen Wolverine 102.5 without stickers but that might be the unsigned copies that are stickerless.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
The books with the Holo stickers should get an A for Awesome.
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I don't like the policy on these. I think if the book is in the exact condition the publisher intended and shipped it to the customer then it should not be counted as a defect.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
I don't like the policy on these. I think if the book is in the exact condition the publisher intended and shipped it to the customer then it should not be counted as a defect.

I agree! In fact, I think it should count against the book if the sticker is not present.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
But wouldn't that then be some sort of chemical cleaning involved to remove the adhesive to then get you a restored grade?

Same method they use to remove tape. Wouldn't be considered restoration. Hero Restoration will charge you $50.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:

I agree! In fact, I think it should count against the book if the sticker is not present.

Which is exactly how they treat those pull off stickers that hide the digital copy codes now. If that sticker is pulled the book can't go past 9.6
Post 14 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I would tend to disagree.

Any tape, stickers, etc. that are added to the comic should be included among its defects IMHO.
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Quote:

I would tend to disagree.

Any tape, stickers, etc. that are added to the comic should be included among its defects IMHO.

IF these books exist without stickers (unrestored, not a removed sticker), the stickers must count against grade. CBCS would look ridiculous if there were two 9.8s side by side one with and one without.

If there are zero books in existence without the sticker, then yes its crazy to count it against the grade. The chances of that are pretty slim though, there has to be copies that made it through life without; however rare they may be (file copies etc).
Post 16 IP   flag post
I would view the holo stickers as an intentional variant. Therefore yes, you can have both with and without as a 9.8. If something is publisher intentional how can it be a defect?
Post 17 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
If a book is produced with a sticker, it does not count against the grade. If the sticker was attached in the aftermarket to a portion of the print run, to create a "manufactured collectible," it does count against the grade.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Which is exactly how they treat those pull off stickers that hide the digital copy codes now. If that sticker is pulled the book can't go past 9.6

Without the digital code sticker, the book is technically incomplete since the person buying the book may be denied the rights to the digital code.

Another way to look at it, when it comes to digital codes, is the book is now missing pages that you paid for.
Post 19 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitCityComics

Without the digital code sticker, the book is technically incomplete since the person buying the book may be denied the rights to the digital code.

Another way to look at it, when it comes to digital codes, is the book is now missing pages that you paid for.

I agree with that. In fact, the justification (or one of them) By Marvel Comics for $3.99 instead of $2.99 is that digital code sticker. If you're buy a book even a cover price that does not have that intact then you're in fact paying for something not included in the book
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitCityComics
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I completely agree. I was not disputing the digital code sticker policy, simply describing it as a contrast to the original topic.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
If a book is produced with a sticker, it does not count against the grade. If the sticker was attached in the aftermarket to a portion of the print run, to create a "manufactured collectible," it does count against the grade.

Just wondering how this would apply to say the Wizard 1/2 issues. These issues as far as I know were mail order only and I am assuming the whole run would have the sticker attached to the cover. Would this be considered attached aftermarket but to the whole print run? - would this then not count against the grade?
Post 22 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts

Just wondering how this would apply to say the Wizard 1/2 issues. These issues as far as I know were mail order only and I am assuming the whole run would have the sticker attached to the cover. Would this be considered attached aftermarket but to the whole print run? - would this then not count against the grade?

In the case of Wizard 1/2's, stickers were applied to copies that were signed in limited numbers. The books were not originally manufactured with these stickers, therefore they affect the grade.

I believe there may be a few of them that all of the copies were produced with holograms. In those cases the sticker would not affect the grade.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:

I agree 100%. If the sticker is applied in a controlled setting like the Wizard holo stickers were back in 1996, I don't think they should count against the grade.

If John Doe off the street slapped a sticker on a comic, then yeah, it should count off.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I think if I was facing a situation where a book that is 9.8 is going to be given an 8.5 I'd just as soon put it inside a Comic Skin slab. The 8.5 would cause it to have a lower FMV than it deserves.
Post 25 IP   flag post
I was considering getting some of my old Wizard 1/2's graded but other than maybe having the sticker removed (someone said Hero restoration can do that) I will probably just not bother.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
I think if I was facing a situation where a book that is 9.8 is going to be given an 8.5 I'd just as soon put it inside a Comic Skin slab. The 8.5 would cause it to have a lower FMV than it deserves.

My mistake was that I inquired about it after I submitted the book. If I had known prior, I would have never sent it in because I don't think the 8.0 accurately reflects the grade.

Now I have a grading fee, shipping, and a verified signature fee tied up in the book, and I don't agree with the grade that is reflected on the label. Oh well.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I bet CGC has the same policy, but you could probably get a green qualified grade that reflects the actual quality of the book.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Oh yeah - I just thought this would be different than say a bus stop sticker because this is applied by the publisher (albeit to a subset of the production) rather than say a corner store etc slapping a price sticker on like they did in the 60's etc.
Post 29 IP   flag post
One would think, but then again one might also think flashbacks count as appearances.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600858 35 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?